MUD FEVER!!!!

kate121212

Visit site
hello... just a few questions about mud fever

how is it caused??
should his fetlock and heel be clean??
how do i get the wet mud off his feet??
does the wet mud add to him getting mud fever??
how should i deal with is feet/fetlock and heet to make sure he doenst get it??
thank you ....xxxxxx
confused.gif
blush.gif
crazy.gif
frown.gif
smirk.gif
wink.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
This sums it up better than I could : http://www.aromesse.com/pages/mud_fever.htm

Basically, if your horse has wet, muddy feet/legs bring him in so they can dry naturally and then you can brush the DRY mud off and then treat the mud fever sites. DO NOT brush wet/muddy legs and washing (unless you can do it warm/hot water) is not helpful either as the horse will get chapped legs too. The bacteria that cause mud fever live in the soil. You can help prevent mud fever by putting topical preparations on the legs like mudgard ointment, mudshield powder, udder cream or petroleum jelly but any preparation needs to be applied to clean, dry legs. Trust me, I've got a grey AngloArab that gets mud fever in anything other then bone dry conditions . . . . !!!!

lornaA

Visit site
i've been using udder ointment to provide a barrier but unfortunately i've just had to get antibiotics from the vet today as megan's back legs are really sore and starting to swell and warm. She got an infection in the skin cells now as well as the mud fever. only real cure is to keep the legs dry but thats not practical as it wld mean keeping horses in 24/7. You can't win!

rachelandcassie

Visit site
i'm another one with a grey arab who even gets horrific mud fever from moisture on spring grass! you just have to keep the legs dry all the time. equichaps are ok but derby house turnout boots are just as good at more than half the price. i feed naf mudgard in winter when the legs get a little wet even when she wears boots and i use keratex mudshield powder in summer so she doesn't get sweaty legs.
i made the mistake of turning her out without powder on in summer and she came in all cracked and sore.
it's under control now but it is an awful condition but i agree with lornaA, they do need to go out
but i find that my mare got cuts when i used vaseline or an ointment as it's a barrier but it also has moisture in it:/

claire1976

Visit site
I use nappy rash cream from boots and its excellent. I apply the night before (as I don't do the turnouts) and when I bring my mare in I wash legs with warm water and hibiscrub. The grease from the cream is still on which shows how resilient it is and then I dry legs and re-apply.
Works a treat and costs me about £3 a tub.

CJ1

Visit site
I also use Boots own, castor oil and zinc - purple tub. Apply twice a week to dry brushed mud free legs, and 2 white sock have caused me no problem this winter (touch wood). Slap plenty on and it gives a great waterproof barrier.

gehar1729

New User
Visit site
Your poor chap must be very miserable, hope this helps.

Go to www.h-10.co.uk

They have a range of ointments which are fantastic. My chap had ringworm and lost a lot of hair and had very itchy skin. After speaking to the people at h-10 I purchased some of the ointment and he reovered quickly and above all seemed to be relieved of the itching. i think you can also use the ointment and shampoos for mud fever. Ring them up as they are very helpful.