Mud Fever!

Louby

Visit site
Ive been lucky so far this winter, I hadnt washed the mud off and had brushed it off when dry but 3 weeks ago it seemed to appear suddenly and quite bad?? Applying cream is all well and good when they are clean but I felt I had to wash it off when she came in full of mud, so I washed with hibiscrub, made sure it was really dry and then applied Flamazine which did a great job at lifting the scabs. I gently rubbed with my fingers and they lifted. To be fair I probably got on top of it when the weather was vile and they stayed in for a few days, the scabs soon came off and although she lost hair too, she is now free of it.

HashRouge

Visit site
My mare got quite bad mud rash in mid January, when their field turned into a mud bath. They live out and don't have access to stables, so I did get quite stressed, but luckily my YO managed to find them somewhere else to go and their new field has a good grass coverage so doesn't get too muddy. I was then using malaseb shampoo and sudocreme to help heal and it all went apart from two nasty patches, one on the inside and one on the outside of one hind leg. I ended up poulticing them for two days using some antibiotic cream the vet gave me, and that took the scabs off and seemed to kill the infection. They're healing nicely now. I do think the key thing is to get them out of the mud!

maggie62

Visit site
I have just bought some Wow mud fever boots..........look like gaiters . Haven't got them yet but will feed back on them. The fields here are still so wet and muddy. Just have to wait and see which day summer falls on this year !

Kate23

Visit site
I have been using Keratex powder, PE Mud Fever boots and thermatex wraps...

So when he comes in PM I put the wraps on straight over the muddy legs and leave them
AM dust the dried mud off and apply the powder, the PE boots for turn out.

I found any creams or lotions harbored more gunk and created a lovely bug breeding ground, washing left his very sensitive skin too sore and further aggravated the issue - No matter how much or gently I dried the legs off.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
i have found the best way is to let them dry out. I have it for the first time in years. I wash off all the mud, washed in hibi scrub and then allowed them to dry out. I kept my lad in for a couple of days. picked off all the scabs applied aloe vera cream and since then have just kept him out of the mud. He has healed up fine. I do suspect that should i allow him near mud it would come back.