Mud Mats/Grass Mats

fornema

Visit site
What are the best and most budget friendly options, I fear that this winter is going to be truly awful so preparing for the worst 😂

TPO

Visit site
Another vote for Mud Control slabs.

They are spendy, so I've been gradually accumulating them over the past 4 years.

I bought 26 initially on a shared delivery, then got a couple of pallets for myself, then managed to get a load 2nd hand and then a final two shared loads.

I picked up 20 the other weekend to finish off around the trough.

I've got a single track going to the muck heap & it was a life saver last year.

millitiger

Visit site
I got Jelka mats as had read a few too many people say that the Mud Control can be slippy for shod horses.
I have 3 boisterous geldings so didn't want to risk any slipping!

My Jelka mats are absolutely super, I'm so happy with them. Also super easy to lay as they don't need to interlock.

It took me months to choose between the 2 options- both are very good but neither are cheap unfortunately!

These are my Jelka mats at the haybox station

PXL_20231019_161819504.jpg

Lamehorses

Visit site
Don't waste your money on rubber grass mats. Mine sank without trace very quickly.
Mud control mats are fab & sell for almost full price 2nd hand when you've finished with them 🙂

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Another vote for Mud Control slabs.

They are spendy, so I've been gradually accumulating them over the past 4 years.

I bought 26 initially on a shared delivery, then got a couple of pallets for myself, then managed to get a load 2nd hand and then a final two shared loads.

I picked up 20 the other weekend to finish off around the trough.

I've got a single track going to the muck heap & it was a life saver last year.
I have mud control mats and have just taken up my track and put some into my field shelter instead. Any ideas for what to cover them with as they can be slippy

blitznbobs

Visit site
Mud control mats really work but they are not always easy to lay as they are totally inflexible... don't get me wrong - they definitely work but if your ground isn't entirely flat there will definitely be swearing when putting them down especially if it is already muddy...

I have had good reports re Jelka mats and might try a pallet if I need anymore.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Mud control mats really work but they are not always easy to lay as they are totally inflexible... don't get me wrong - they definitely work but if your ground isn't entirely flat there will definitely be swearing when putting them down especially if it is already muddy...

I have had good reports re Jelka mats and might try a pallet if I need anymore.
I've never seen my husband as furious as when he was laying our mats! The grunting and groaning, it was like he was playing an intensive game of tennis 😬

TPO

Visit site
I have mud control mats and have just taken up my track and put some into my field shelter instead. Any ideas for what to cover them with as they can be slippy

I use sharp sand.

They are easier to lay on flat and dry land, but it is possible on sloping and muddy ground.

Due to bad planning and bad timing, I've always laid mine once it's already deep, sooky, soup mud.

Through experience, I've found it best to lay them out loose first because they never go as far as you think/hope.

At the weekend, I laid the 20 new ones. The tricky bit was fitting them into the existing slabs. The existing slabs had bedded in, and slotting in new ones between two slabs does require several swear words and a crowbar/shovel/fork for leverage.

If you follow the mudslab fb page you'll see lots of examples of slabs laid in horrific mud and all sorts of slopes and undulations.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Absolutely love mud control, for paths etc would say them everytime. I've just sold alline when I moved and am in the process of buying some more...... however for inside the field shelters and wondering about jelka mats as would need to put rubber mats on top of mud control for delicate hooved shetland. Does anyone know what the jelka mats are like for horses with sensitive feet?

SEL

Visit site
I'm a huge fan of mud control mats. If you're laying on uneven ground then shavings (we had old bedding) can help level things off. Once the ground is damp they settle. I've got sand over the ones by the water trough but my paths have been down long enough for grass to grow through. The horses all know they are slippery so take care.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I use sharp sand.

They are easier to lay on flat and dry land, but it is possible on sloping and muddy ground.

Due to bad planning and bad timing, I've always laid mine once it's already deep, sooky, soup mud.

Through experience, I've found it best to lay them out loose first because they never go as far as you think/hope.

At the weekend, I laid the 20 new ones. The tricky bit was fitting them into the existing slabs. The existing slabs had bedded in, and slotting in new ones between two slabs does require several swear words and a crowbar/shovel/fork for leverage.

If you follow the mudslab fb page you'll see lots of examples of slabs laid in horrific mud and all sorts of slopes and undulations.
Ours were laid on sloping, undulating ground. We filled some of the gaps in with old bedding etc. But we were laying them on dry ground. We could do with some additional ones now but the mud is sloppy, I certainly don't fancy kneeling in it to put them down!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'd never heard of the wf racing mats so will be interested to hear reviews on them. They look very similar to mud control mats and I think work out at a similar price(?)