Mud rash Flamazine v Aqueous cream

Louby

Visit site
Ive been using Flamazine on my young horses mild mud rash, its working well but its soooo expensive and I will need another tub soon. Ive just seen a post on Facebook where a couple of people had said their vets had given them Aqueous cream. Has anyone used it and is it any good or should I bite the bullet and buy another tub of Flamazine.

Tash88

Visit site
I thought aqueous cream was meant to thin the skin with prolonged use? I wouldn't recommend it for mud fever to be honest. The best thing I've found for mild cases is Filtabac on the affected area then pig oil over the top, on the whole lower leg and higher if the field is extra muddy. Have never used Flamazine for mud fever so can't comment on that.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I think that will depend on what stage the mud rash is at? Gone and prevention, or active and trying to control it?

Flamazine is antibacterial so will help stop the spread and kill off the bacteria, aqueous cream should help sooth, moisturise and maintain the skins natural barrier but not really do much for the bacterial infection.

I hate mud rash and am wishing for mud free fields :(...

Auslander

Visit site
It's a bit like comparing chalk and cheese. Flamazine will treat the mudfever, whereas aqueous cream will act as a barrier, and will help to loosen the scabs. Agree re the skin thinning comments though - there are better barriers.

My go-to, to prevent, and to use after Flam, to protect fragile skin, is Cavilon, which is a water based emollient/barrier cream.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
If you can find a GP to write a PRIVATE prescription this will save you a LOT of money. It will not cost the NHS as you still pay for the product, it just doesn't have the vet's over inflated price added on

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions, I will have a look.
I feel like I cant win atm, she is unbacked so I cant ride her, and didnt really want her standing in all day every day. If she was backed I'd keep her in and exercise her instead and try to get on top of it. Im trying to be sensible, shes not out for hours, stays in if its horrendous but the fields just havent dried out.
Ive used Fungatrol in the past, its brilliant stuff, I just loved the Flamazine as its not gunky and easy to wash off when its full of mud. Ive tried leaving it well alone and brushing the dried mud off and so far so good but this last week the mud rash has won, so Ive been washing with diluted hibiscrub, drying as best as I can and appluing the cream when fully dry, the scabs are lifting but today theres more, so its looking like she may be confined to barrocks until I can get rid of it :(

Landcruiser

Visit site
Best I have found (and cheap as chips) is unperfumed baby oil with flowers of sulphur from Natural Horse Products shaken into it (it doesn't disolve but the oild holds it where it needs to be. I swear by it after being on a yard where almost every horse was suffering including my own who had never previously had it. His got badly infected and needed antibiotics, and he got so that I couldn't get near his legs after all sorts of lotions and potions failed or made things worse. Flamizine caused him to have a terrible allergic reaction which actually made things MUCH worse and sore. I finally got a tip off about the oil/sulphur, managed to get it on him - and blow me but it was like a miracle cure. Others on the yard followed suit, and also got on top of the condition very quickly. That must be 8 years ago, and we've never had another flare up = at the first sign I bang on my quack cure and forget about it.

buzyizzy

Visit site
I've used antibacterial shampoo then smothered all the mud fever with Dermoline, rubbed well in and wrapped with gamgee then made a welly out of hay wrap and duck tape. That way mine could still go out, which made everyone a lot happier. Changed it every 24 hours until it had all gone, now I use pig oil with sulphur smothered on over all their lower legs once a week. Was working fine until they went on part livery and YO didn't bother and I went back to horses with 5 lots of mud fever :( Hey ho, it's working now.
Flamazine works fabulously, but yes, mega ££££££££££

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Flamazine is antibacterial so will help stop the spread and kill off the bacteria,.

I don't have any experience of this Flamazine - despite its snazzy name - always had Denobrium(sp) the lack of which is lamented elsewhere but I'll add that Mud Fever - is a many splendoured thing! My two (sadly departed) were once harbouring little mites in their skin which were the major cause of infection which was at least two kinds of bacteria the worst being a rare form of Staph. Coc. Equi that was immune to nearly everything. My big mare was the worst affected and most people discounted the problem as "cracked heels" or something that would clear up when the weather improved but the very thick skin in her heel area told me something was going on under the surface.
Eventually I bit the bullet and had samples taken, the bugs identified and treatment which included mouse serum being cultured at Newmarket Equine - don't ask about the bill - she was "worth it." After being fumigated and injected over the course of three months she completely recovered - he heels repaired to look smooth and normal. As a bonus she was the only horse on a yard of forty or so that didn't get ringworm! Could be a coincidence but remarkable all the same.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I don't have any experience of this Flamazine - despite its snazzy name - always had Denobrium(sp) the lack of which is lamented elsewhere but I'll add that Mud Fever - is a many splendoured thing! My two (sadly departed) were once harbouring little mites in their skin which were the major cause of infection which was at least two kinds of bacteria the worst being a rare form of Staph. Coc. Equi that was immune to nearly everything. My big mare was the worst affected and most people discounted the problem as "cracked heels" or something that would clear up when the weather improved but the very thick skin in her heel area told me something was going on under the surface.
Eventually I bit the bullet and had samples taken, the bugs identified and treatment which included mouse serum being cultured at Newmarket Equine - don't ask about the bill - she was "worth it." After being fumigated and injected over the course of three months she completely recovered - he heels repaired to look smooth and normal. As a bonus she was the only horse on a yard of forty or so that didn't get ringworm! Could be a coincidence but remarkable all the same.

Interesting stuff, I have long wondered how many different things we label as 'Mud Rash' but are actually caused by different things presenting similar symptoms.

Flamazine is licenced for people rather than horses, as a burns cream using a silver component as the antibacterial action which is possibly why you've not heard of it, it is good stuff though :).

JillA

Visit site
Not sure if you can still get it but I used to keep a tub of udder grease for mud fever - antibacterial grease, which not only killed any nasties but kept the water out. Agricultural stores would be the place to look. Otherwise I found a similar one with aloe vera (and Equine Added Tax :( ) and for bad flare ups Leovet do a cream with colloidal silver, similar to the silver in Flamazine. All still pretty pricey though