Muddy Tail suggestions?

horsefeed

Visit site
My mare lives out 24/7 and gets the biggest mudicles I have ever seen in her tail,
Golf balls size and bigger, looks like snakes almost!
I resorted today to cutting it far too short, soaking it in hot soapy water, and brushing it through. Repeated this 3 times and it's still nowhere near clean.
I have now plaited it to try and keep the worst out until round 2 tomorrow.
I only washed it at the weekend so it gets this back in only a few days!!
The hair also feels really dry and brittle. Only I have got it thoroughly clean I am thinking leave-in conditioner then wash again and then spray it with mane and tail conditioner.
Will keeping it plaited help?
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Petalpoos

Visit site
I used to cut my mare's tail quite short in the winter and then pretty much left it on the grounds that it was not going to harm her, however ugly it looked. If we got a few dry days I would brush it out, but found that it could still be damp inside the mud clumps even after days of no rain! I suspect that washing it is not a great idea as, as you have found, you are washing all the natural oils out that protect the hair.

It all grows back by the summer, so good for flies again when it is needed.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Cut to hocks, it will grow back by summer and then I spray mane and tail spray in her tail maybe twice a week. It just seems to help the mud slide off rather that stick.

Then for cleaning it I fill a bucket with boiling water (and some cold so I can put my hands in without scalding) and swish tail in it (obviously just the ends) for as long as I can stand holding the bucket for! Then thoroughly clean with fairy liquid, rinse and repeat a few times.

ETA as others have said, plait it.

EnduroRider

Visit site
I have discovered tail bags this year and am an absolute convert! I don't disagree at all with those suggesting a short chop, it works, but if you have a horse that carries their tail then they quite quickly look very very short. The tail of the horse in my avatar is fetlock level at rest so it would seem non existant when carried if cut to his hocks.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I cut my grey gelding's tail to the hocks every winter and slather it in mane and tail conditioner. Whenever a large lump occurs just finger-comb it out and it keeps it manageable until the next time you wash it.

I do sometimes plait the end after washing and detangling, and I have found this makes a big difference. I tend to take it out after a week or so though because I start to feel guilty that he might need his tail! I know a lot of others pretty much constantly have their horses' tails plaited come winter though...

Reacher

Visit site
I have discovered tail bags this year and am an absolute convert! I don't disagree at all with those suggesting a short chop, it works, but if you have a horse that carries their tail then they quite quickly look very very short. The tail of the horse in my avatar is fetlock level at rest so it would seem non existant when carried if cut to his hocks.

Tail bag - the best £6 I've spent!

Tail bag experts - What is the best technique to secure a tail bag? I use a plaiting band to tie together 2 chunks of tail hair to make a loop then thread the tail bag fastening through it. Works quite well though tends to slip a bit.

I might wear it out hacking too - he got more mud splattered up his tail trotting on our muddy bridlepaths

horsefeed

Visit site
Thank you all, lots of ideas. Gonna give it another wash tomorrow and then leave conditioner in it for a few days and then rinse and pigoil it. Will keep plaited and let it out when ride 3/4 times a week

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I've cut Madam's a bit shorter than usual this year & have only just discovered pig oil spray - really seems to put a "seal" on the tail to help repel the mud ? also handy on the legs to prevent mud fever too obv

doodle

Visit site
I used to keep Mintos tail plaited in winter. Took out once a week if so, brushed it out and put more mane and tail stuff in. I tried the same with Soli and he hated it. Swished tail continually with a plait in so gave up on it. I now find tail brushing very calming and so Robin has his tail brushed every day so it dosnt get knotted, I use mane and tail stuff every few days.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Tail bag experts - What is the best technique to secure a tail bag? I use a plaiting band to tie together 2 chunks of tail hair to make a loop then thread the tail bag fastening through it. Works quite well though tends to slip a bit.

One big plait and poke a hole between the strands to pass the fastening through.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Question for plaiters and baggers, do they never pull chunks out when getting up from rolling?

I’d love to keep Skyllas tail clean but I’m super paranoid about her pulling it out...

scrat

Visit site
Wash and brush tail through. When dry do one large plait and secure the end. This is important because if the plait comes loose the bag will not be secure. I use normal elastic tied into hair bands for this as they stay put. I have made tail bags from fleece fabric secured with a velcro tab that goes through the top of the plait. This is not waterproof but it keeps the mud off and dries quickly. In the past I have tried waterproof tail bags and found that the water runs off the hair and collects in a puddle at the bottom of the bag which became smelly and stale. The fleece tail bags are easy and very cheap to make if you have a sewing machine.

AFB

Visit site
Tail bag experts - What is the best technique to secure a tail bag?

Plait the length, use a decent hair tie to secure at the bottom (I find double plaiting bands can hold it, human ones work better though. Single plaiting bands snap and the plait comes undone), and then loop the tail bag through.

Reacher

Visit site
Plait the length, use a decent hair tie to secure at the bottom (I find double plaiting bands can hold it, human ones work better though. Single plaiting bands snap and the plait comes undone), and then loop the tail bag through.
Ah thanks - I was using plaiting bands but they tended to snap or go baggy. I will get some human ones. Have to admit I was too lazy to do a full plait every day!