Mudfever or Sunburn

Rana

Visit site
Ok, slightly odd question lol

Chestnut mare with white socks behind. Very prone to mudfever (needs antibiotics, bute, etc. when she gets it). Also suffering from very mild liver failure (vet not concerned - just old age). Prone to sunburn on her muzzle.

She's recently come up with a couple of smallish (smaller than 5p piece) red scabs on the pink parts of her heels - right in the dip. They don't look like typical mudfever scabs (hers tend to be darker in colour, and would be in the hair as well as just on the pink skin). They do look very much like the scabs she gets when her nose is burnt (when she refuses to be caught to have suncream on!).

So, initially I assumed sunburn and applied factor 50 waterproof suncream when sunny, and soothing aftersun when cloudy. There's no improvement yet, but they only came up 2 days ago - usually on her nose, it takes a week or so before they clear up.

However, this morning, the area is quite swollen on both legs - leading me to think it might be mudfever (her legs often swell with mudfever if it's quite deep). She's not lame or sore on them, just slightly puffy. It's very localised to the area surrounding the scabs.

Opinions please - carry on treating as sunburn, or start treating as mudfever? Obviously if her legs swell further or don't go down over the next couple of days, I'll get the vet out.

bailey14

Visit site
Photosensitivity

Cause: sun exposure along with other complicating factors. Photosensitivity almost exclusively affects pink skin, which lacks a dark pigment called melanin that protects against sunlight. Primary photosensitivity occurs when a horse consumes high levels of photodynamic agents--found in alfalfa, clover, bishop's weed and a variety of other plants--which overwhelm his system and damage his skin when exposed to the sun's ultraviolet rays. In secondary photosensitivity, a horse with a damaged liver ingests normal levels of photodynamic agents but his body cannot break them down properly. Pertinent facts: Photosensitivity lesions can appear on any area of the body with pink skin, most often the muzzle and face and white ankles or pasterns on the lower legs. The acute lesions begin as purplish blisters that weep or slough away and scab over. Affected areas are sharply painful to the touch.
Treatment: If you think your horse has photosensitivity, contact your veterinarian. He may prescribe topical or oral steroids to reduce inflammation, as well as Banamine or bute to keep your horse comfortable. He may also test your horse's liver function for signs of damage.
Prevention: If you know your horse is susceptible, keep him stabled during the daytime and limit his exposure to direct sunlight. If your pasture contains plants that trigger photosensitivity, you may need to move your horse to another field. Horses who suffer photosensitivity on the lower legs benefit from being turned out wearing shipping bandages or boots.

Rana

Visit site
Thanks applecart. This is kind of what I was thinking. Obviously I wasn't quick enough with the suncream
frown.gif
Poor girly, she's never been burnt there before so I didn't think to put it on her heels.

Lesson learnt - will keep applying plenty of suncream and monitor the swelling. Hopefully the suncream will be enough to prevent it (certainly works on her nose), so she won't have to stand in during the day.

kellyeaton

Visit site
call vet out take some bloods to make sure he liver is not getting any worse. Have you got her on anything to help surport her liver?