Mudfever :@

Cedars

Visit site
Evening all,

Puz has mudfever, currently very mild in on the skin but her heel bulb is very infected and very sore. Bless her.

Farrier came out today, we've completely clipped her feet up to her fetlocks, I've shampooed with medicated shampoo, hibiscrubbed and then dried - then sudocremed.

Question is - how often do I do this? I want to give her a chance to heal herself, but at the same time I don't want the infection to continue as bless her, she is very sore and very unhappy :( so once a day? twice a day? or a few times a week?

She'll spend a week in her box now, at least, until the infection has gone. Then we'll have to manage it in the fields. Whats best for them in muddy/wet fields? I have two bottles of Seven Day Mud Away - does it work? Or should I sudocrem first?

Thankkksss...x

asommerville

Visit site
i use vaseline on.my beasties legs to.keep the mud off. I also dont hose v often, usually brush off the dry mud. To get rid of scabs ive been using aromaheel which isbfab.

some people might recommend pig oil to keep the mud off, never tried it myself.

i wouldnt wash it everyday tbh, if its badly infected she might need the vet. does she have any scabs

Cedars

Visit site
No scabs, just discolouration of the skin and then her heel bulb on her near hind is really infected bless her :( she's very sore. If infection doesnt start to clear, I will have to have the vet out.

So perhaps i'll just Sudocrem today, then wash and dry tomorrow to see what the situation is, then give her a few more days and do the same thing. X

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
victoria the pig oil and sulphur is excellent for prevention.

adding sulphur to sudocreme is better for treatment.

Cedars it will take a week or so to clear anyway given that you have only just cleared the area to treat, I'd go by how puffy her legs is as to whether a vet visit is req or not.