mum/daughter share horse

impresario08

Visit site
I am horse hunting soon, as my main horse is now retired, and I want to get a horse that my little one can ride as well as myself if she shows an interest later on as she is only 15 months at the moment (but not a wasted purchase if she doesn't!). However, I am 6ft and daughter is obviously too young and small to ride at the moment. What type of thing would you recommend looking for, or is the height/size difference too great?!

Leandy

Visit site
Way too early to be thinking about this. Realistically, if you are 6 ft, you are not going to be able to properly share a horse until your daughter is in her teens!

Nudibranch

Visit site
As above really. I am 5'10 and can ride my 13.2 Fell, she takes up the leg well, but I only ride her occasionally as a second horse. I have an inky dinky saddle so my little boy can ride her without a helper, but I didnt start him until he was nearly 3. I'm not really sure what would meet your need with that size difference. My little boy prefers driving to riding, so we drive the Fell more than ride anyway.

Courbette

Visit site
My friend bought a 3 year old friesian mare when her daughter was 2 based on the fact that she had previously worked with friesians and she wanted a kind horse that her daughter would be safe to be around while small. Her daughter is now 17 and has been riding her for the last 5 or so years so it does happen but it was a long wait in between! I’d be tempted to go for a something primarily that suits your needs as a rider but has a good temperament with the view that she will enjoy and be safe growing up around such a horse and may be able to enjoy the odd sit on him or her while she grows

MiniMilton

Visit site
Realistically it's going to be at least 10 years before your daughter can ride the same horse as you. Especially as you are so tall.
Buy for you now and borrow a Shetland in a year or two.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I agree with LEANDY, with your height & assuming your daughter grows to near your height I expect it to be 15 years or so before you could possibly share a horse. If you actually went ahead & bought i.e. a 7 year old with a view to sharing the horse would be around 20 years of age. The horse would be approaching retirement before your daughter rode it. It's way too early to consider what you are thinking of doing.