Mummy's with a horse and a toddler??

Tone

Visit site
Hello :)

Im new to this forum, i've been browsing but have never posted. So hi :)

Basically just wanted to hear from parents that have young children and horses.
I have an 18 month old and iam thinking about getting a horse.
Before i was pregnant i had a gorgeous 16.3hh polish warmblood, and when i found out i was pregnant i put him out on loan to a close friend, they are now so attached to each other theres no way i could seperate them! They are so perfect for each other!
Soo...i'm looking to buy (possibly loan) a new horse and i just wondered how hard it was having a horse and a toddler?? I would be keeping it at my mums stables which is just down the road from me. Just i dont know how tough it will be? Anyone have any experience????

Achinghips

Visit site
Depends, and here are some thoughts to consider (meant to be helpful).

do you work too/have other children/are financially insecure/have depleted energy/get stressed easily/have an attention seeking OH/child minding facilties arranged/any other hobbies/an already demanding social life etc?
Perhaps ride the horse you already own for an hour twice a week?

LindyLulu

Visit site
Hello!

I have the same sort of problem really. I have a 2 year old and before i had her i had a horse on loan. I have just started to have lessons once a fortnight. As of next week I will be helping a friend with her horses 3 mornings a week in exchange for riding and the organisation has been mad!

I am lucky to have my mum close by who has agreed to look after my daughter while i'm at the yard. I wouldn't be able to do it otherwise.

I don't think that i would be able to juggle having a horse and a child just yet, but i am not a particularly organised person.

Can you not do what Rotchana suggested? maybe go to your friends a couple of times a week and see how that routine goes for a while?

Tone

Visit site
Thanks guys :)

Well, i did originally think about doing that, shes just very attached to him now and i dont think she likes me riding him very much, and really now he is like her own. There is a new horse on the yard now who i'm riding 3 days a week, and i have access to my friends other horse to ride. Maybe i'm just being selfish, i just miss having my own horse to really bond with and be able to do what i want with.

legaldancer

Visit site
I'd wait until your toddler goes to school, as its very difficult to juggle, unless your mother will have the child while you see the horse.

danielle23

Visit site
I have an 18 month old boy and 5yr girl, 4/5 horses and can hardly find the time to ride any of mine!!
Some days he sleeps for hours in the day so can get on doing a fair bit but most days i dont get chance to ride any! And some times if my little girl wants to ride then i dont get time too, or im cooking tea or im way too tired! blah blah blah!
Its exhausting having children and horses, but i would never get rid of them !!! (the horses) lol, plus we have a vast aray of pigs and dogs too
If you have the time and help with the children id go for it!
Also im rather lucky i have all mine at home and dont have livery bills so can pick and choose what i do and when :) But its much better with the lighter nights as i can ride when the kiddies are in bed!

marmalade76

Visit site
I have two little ones and did have a horse until last week (looking for another). My horse lived out 24/7/365 since I was pregnant with my first, I simply would not have the time for mucking out/turning out/bringing in every day. I have been able to tie my OH down to one days babysitting a week and when the days are longer I could go and ride before he went to work. I also had a sharer for a while which worked really well. I found it hard to get my horse fit enough for competing, which is where the sharer really helped!

You really need the right sort of horse. I am looking for an easy horse that has been out and done plenty so it does not need too much tuning for comps should the oppotunity arise, something that does not need riding every day and is low maintenance.

Dommy18

Visit site
I have a 19 month old and currently have 3 horses at the moment. For the first year I had just one but sold him last summer and brought a couple of youngesters. Then 3 weeks ago brought another. I am lucky in that I don't have to work, my mum in law has my son for a hour every morning and I have a stable and turnout at my husbands work yard but I only ride about once a month and go to a showing about once a month as well. I tried giving up horses for year before I got pregnant and hated it so for the first winter I turned him out 24/7. I'll have to sell my oldest one before the end of the summer due to space but with my circumstances I have found it ok although do wish I could ride a bit more!

wench

Visit site
if you already have your own, I would either ask for him back, or ask to change loan agreement so you can ride a couple of days a week. After all its your horse.

Tone

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies!!

I think i'll just be paitent and wait till he's a bit older, i'm just very impaitent!! But if i happen to come across a suitable horse then i'll go for it!!

The girl who has Lantern is actually on here shes called girlracer if you see her threads and things you will see how much she loves him and why i couldnt take him back!! They were made for each other i think :)

Thanks again guys!!

DuckToller

Visit site
Agree with wench, he is your horse at the end of the day, and if you enjoy riding him, you should be able to. If she is paying for all his costs then you need to offer something, as it depends on what arrangement you have with her, but it seems daft to me to be looking for something else when you have a decent horse.

What will happen when you want him back, when your toddler goes to school perhaps? Or are you happy to effectively give away your horse?

Just read she comes on here, so ask her!

Rooji

Visit site
Hiya
I have a 2 1/2 yr old little boy and a 5yr old ISH and it works really well. I bought my horse last year after a break from riding and I certainly dont regret it. My horse is on full livery at the moment (though moving soon and he will be at home). At first I used to get my mum to watch my son for an hour or two 3 times a week and Hubby looked after him when I rode at weekends but now he goes to nursery 3 mornings a week. It is fantastic - you get time out from the kids and come home feeling stress free and relaxed :)

I do think if they are not at home (horse) then full livery or part livery is more fair / easier than DIY. If my son was ill or something then I wouldn't be able to just leave him and go to the yard - similarly it is easier with vets/farrier as my fab yard owner sorts it out for me if I cant be there.

It is do-able you just have to get organised and make sure your family support you . Once they see how happy and stress free you are (lets face it we all know that the kids can get difficult and tiring) then I am sure they will be pro horse :)

Sorry for long reply, ice creams to all who got this far !

GLEEK

Visit site
I have 2 horses and a 6 month old little boy and a 3year old girl. My husband works a variable shift pattern so my riding is a bit patchy. I now ride and lead they are both turned out 24/7 which makes it much easier. They are also both barefoot to keep costs down they are also both the type of horse i can ride either every day or twice a year they will always be the same. That makes a huge difference.

Why could you not ride him twice a week to help with fitness as said before you own the horse. I dont say that being mean to girlracer its good that you have someone that loves your horse and gets on so well with him.You never know she may appreciate the help with fitness

Alimac19

Visit site
What is absoloutly essential is a DVD player in the car!! My little boy who is 2 will happily watch Bob the Builder or Thomas etc in the car next to the menage whilst I ride nearly every day. After the horse is out he then comes and helps with all the jobs, mucking out, feeds etc and loves it. As long as you don't mind a VERY dirty child every day (they roll in the mud!) and are no too stressed then it is do-able. Don't make strict plans as to how it will work as you are constantly changing them, for instance I used to ride in the evenings whilst OH looked after Sam but now we all eat as a family so I ride in the mornings. Hacking out is also quite rare but then I have no family nearby and OH works Saturdays so once a week if I'm lucky but as you have family at the yard you may be better off. The biggest priority is safety so my boy and my horse rarely meet face to face!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. PS I also run my own comapny so horse/toddler/family/job is workable but don't ever expect to be fresh as a daisy again!

Maisy

Visit site
I have 4 kids who are now 12, 10, 7 & 5 and have had a horse (or 3) all through having them....riding was patchy when they were younger, but I did manage it at least at weekends. Mine always come in during the winter, so I had to muck out, as well as poo picking etc etc. As mentioned before, a portable dvd player is a great thing to own, and my kids didnt/dont mind getting dirty too.

It *is* do-able....but it is hard....I guess it depends how much you miss having a horse!

KingCharles

Visit site
I am pregnant, have a 7 year old daughter with cerebral palsy, a 21 month son with learning difficulties (looking liek it may be autism) a 9 month old baby and i have a horse. My partner works as i am a full time mum/carer. I dont have any friends or family support either, just my partner.

I find time to see to my horse twice a day and up intill recently was riding every evening.

It can be done, but it takes a lot of planning!

FaldingwoodLivery

Visit site
I am pregnant, have a 7 year old daughter with cerebral palsy, a 21 month son with learning difficulties (looking liek it may be autism) a 9 month old baby and i have a horse. My partner works as i am a full time mum/carer. I dont have any friends or family support either, just my partner.

I find time to see to my horse twice a day and up intill recently was riding every evening.

It can be done, but it takes a lot of planning!

You deserve a medal, how on earth do you cope? Sounds like v. Hard work. :)

I have two children 4 and 10 month and work part time (through choice not neccessity). I gave up my horse when pregnant with my first baby, been pinching rides off friends here and there since then. I figured out that the only way I can have a horse again is to have them at home, so were moving in the next month, yay!! So excited!!

Cazza525

Visit site
I have a 14 yr old (self sufficient) and a 2 year old. OH works away monday to friday. Bought our own land when baby was 6 months old 5 minute drive away. Bought a little pony and borrowed a companion. It's been hard tbh. Have had to fence boundery and build some stables. Ponies lived out first winter,but came in tail end of this winter.

I felt i was losing the plot a bit,so invited a friend up to mine with her horse for free,in exchange for help with mine......thats helped. I have a childminder 12 hours a week,this time is taken up with field maintainance mainly. I have found it hard,and will not entertain buying something for myself to ride until he's at school,hence why I have ponies.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies!!

I think i'll just be paitent and wait till he's a bit older, i'm just very impaitent!! But if i happen to come across a suitable horse then i'll go for it!!

The girl who has Lantern is actually on here shes called girlracer if you see her threads and things you will see how much she loves him and why i couldnt take him back!! They were made for each other i think :)

Thanks again guys!!

Yes, I have read her posts and you are right! You cannot separate them.. lol
How lovely of you - I would just go ahead and get your own. If your mum has her own stables down the road then at least travel will be no issue and you can see to your future ned without much worry - Just find (if possible) a babysitter for when you ride.

Goodluck.x

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
its doable but takes planning.

i have a 3 & a half year old, a 23 month old & a 10 week old & 2 welshies that i am backing & putting to shafts & the OH works away during the week.
i have them at a lovley but very basic place (9 acres grazing but no perrmenant fencing,stables/shelter,water,electricity or school facilitys).

if you really want to you will find the time.

emmanash

Visit site
Hi there,

I have a 7 and 5 year old plus a horse and a part time job. I'll echo what others have said about it being doable with a little planning!
I tend to get up early to go and check on my horse and walk my dog (forgot to mention the dog!), and get back before hubby has to leave for work. I then sort out the kiddies for school etc.
I've not long gone back to work so am still finding my routine but i've found out that if I go straight to the yard after work, i've just about got time to go for a ride before the school pick up so this is great!
I'm lucky that my hubby is really understanding and knows how important my mare is to me. He'll often suggest I go for a ride in the evening and he'll put the kids to bed, although he might just be glad to get rid of me and have some peace and quiet!
My horse is kept out 24/7 at the moment although she'll be stabled at night this winter to save the fields and keep her snug so we'll see how mucking out will fit into my already hectic life!
I did have a break from horses when my children were a bit younger but couldn't keep away from them, I often wish i'd have taken up a cheaper and less time consuming hobby as a child but wouldn't change my life for anything really

Pally

Visit site
I put my boy out on loan whilst I was pregnant and like you my horse got on really well with the lady who had him. I think the best option would be to see if your friend would now share with you so you can ride just a couple of days a week.

liannexsx

Visit site
i think i won't have children. then i wont have to give up my horses.
suppose it depends on the horse - even my yearling who is sharp knows not to put a foot wrong around my 4 yr old nephew, although he is the only child she likes!! she'd eat the rest haha