Mums and dads when did your LO's start riding

wodger_woo

Visit site
Baby is now 15 months old
ooo.gif

His adoring relationship with horses (particularly chance or "tanter") continues (was great last week when Scope was on he was in heaven LOL). He has a pony, an adorable 21 year old 13hh pony who is the sweetest thing. He loves to sit on horses - in fact I think poor Chance has forgotten what it is like to eat his tea without an adoring baby sat on his back.
He has ridden his pony a few times but struggles to hold onthe the front of the saddle so I'm ordering him one of those saddles with the handle on the front.
When did other peoples children start to ride? Oviously I want him to be as safe as possible so where can I get a hat that might fit him from?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
my son was 5 when he started and I think if he'd started earlier he'd have enjoyed it alot more!
My daughter is 20 months. She adores horses, and has sat on her pony, but not actually gone anywhere (pony is only 3 and still being broken). I plan to start her off next year, I have use of one of the little saddles with handle, which are fab.
You can get hats to fit anywhere. It's suprising how big a kid's head is, my daughter takes a size 54 which champion do for about 40 quid.

Onyxia

Visit site
My son is 21 months old and I couldnt start him on horses yet!
He loves animals but hasn worked out that they are aliive, well, except his favorite bunny (who is smothered in kisses and hugs- high praise from bun as son is the only male she will let near her!).

TBH I think there isnt a set age that is best, if your baby is already enjoying things then keep doing what you are.He will let you know when he is ready to do more.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
My daughter sat on her pony's back and pulled a chunk of his mane out! She's not ready to actually ride yet, as she hasnt the balance, so i'll start her when she can understand instructions better and has grown a little more. there's nothing worse than seeing a tot doing the splits on a pony.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
As soon as they could sit up they got plonked on and led about, usually with an arm round until they could grow enough to balance. All of ours were riding on their own by four and cazcrazyjonty by three..(bossy little brat hated being led)
It depends on the child and the pony. I bought a minute totally safe shetland x mare then I had an elderly ex riding school pony for the first few years of the boys riding, he had been my best school pony ever so I retained him even after I closed down. Some of our best videos are of the kids all hacking out behind me or their Dad all smiling and happy..
I'd just go with the flow, a keen kid is always clamouring to get on, I never pushed mine they just wanted to.
Both lads stopped around 14 and rarely ride now, their skills helped them a lot however when one went riding in Poland, the ride leader went so fast round corners his own horse lost it's footing and fell, but it didn't faze my son!
There are still some elderly basket saddles around and kids love those, why not try ebay for one?

vic07

Visit site
18 months old when i broke my ankle falling off a pony. carried on riding and was bought my first pony when i was 4!

JAK

Visit site
I think you can get hats to fit easily enough but they need to be lightweight ones, as tiny childrens' necks are not strong enough to support the weight of the heavier ones!
I think the Pony Club (possibly?) published a guideline on the choosing & fitting of hats for tiny tots?

vic07

Visit site
yes.... my dad grabbed pony and let go of child - think he was trying to save himself money and put me off for life! didn't work. But i am a little clumsy, would have been a child at risk - one week i cracked my head open next i broke my ankle! but i made it - luckily there is only me!

charliesangel

Visit site
My youngest is three and has been riding since we got the pony 6 months ago and the oldest started when he was 5! They both love it! My little one just sits on with the reins knotted and pony plods around, we just need to work on the steering!!!
grin.gif

summer2006048small.jpg

Little one rides him back from the school and if we leave the stable doors open this is where he ends up!! Hint from pony methinks!! lol Child insists on not being led!
grin.gif

vic07

Visit site
seriously though - I cannot remember learning to ride. I think this is the best way as you have instinctive balance and empathy with the horse. I use to do everything on my little pony at the side of my mum's eventer. good luck.

TequilaMist

Visit site
My daughter was sitting on ponies at 2yrs and totally on her own at 3/4 only problem we had was my daughter seemed to think pony was psychic and should know where she wanted to go!!She's 14 now and has great sense of balance and very confident on and around horses.Suppose its like walking to her as shes always done it.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Both child and pony are cute! How on earth do you get the jods and the pony to stay so clean!???

Have pics of oldest riding but he is pulling a stupid face and looks really gormless!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
polyester jods...lol!! nothing stains them.
Pony is YO's mare who is kept either stabled or in a VERY secure paddock as she's a mini houdini. So she can't really get that dirty. She throws fab coloured foals though (and is in foal in this photo).

charliesangel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both child and pony are cute! How on earth do you get the jods and the pony to stay so clean!???

[/ QUOTE ]
polyester jods...lol!! nothing stains them.

[/ QUOTE ]

My boys can get anything dirty they are like magnets for the stuff!! The little one is the worst! lol

Tia

Visit site
My little daughter was around 6 months old when she started riding. We had a basket saddle for her and she moved into a Safari Cub saddle at somewhere between 12 and 18 months old.

charliesangel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I just got my two some waterproof overalls from Welland valley Feeds, guaranteed to kep them clean!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The little toads refuse to wear anything that would protect them! I have a fight to get them into raincoats when it's raining! My eldest (5) says its ok to get wet as he'll dry out and I can wash his clothes!!!!!
frown.gif

ginniebee

Visit site
My daughter started riding at three, when she told me she wanted to be a horse when she grew up!!!!! She's eleven now. We go hacking together have some brilliant rides we both know our and horses weaknesses and help each other out, in fact when were at the farm together and doing 'horsey' things its the only time we truley get on!!!! Lol.

threeponies

Visit site
Mine was 3 when she started, she's 5 now and just about to start riding school lessons. She needed a size 000 hat with pads in it though, has small head.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Alex was 2 1/2 when she first rode my sisters shetland, and was 4 when she started having proper lessons.

My youngest daughter (Hannah) started riding at the same age, but has never had the interest in horses
frown.gif
(even though she rode well)

JessPickle

Visit site
someone at my yard just bought there 3 year old that has never ridden his own pony, and I dont think he is old enough to understand that he has a pony, when asked if he wants to ride he normally refuses! the pony is becoming my friends second pony as she is the only one small enough to exercise it, I suppose kids mature at diffrent ages but I think 5 is a good age as they know whats going on (have taken many walk outs with tiny kids at my yard)

druid

Visit site
I honestly don't remember learning to ride...deinitely the best way to learn so the earlier the better!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Oh I love that pic of the baby on the horse, our daughter used to play with the stallion who had a half door into our garden, she would drag her trolley with a high back under his door, sit on it, then he would bat it with his nose so she went off along the path. This game went on for hours, he was a great babysitter!
He was very protective of her too, if she got told off he would get upset himself. On one occasion he escaped from his box the other way into the corridor where she aged about two was standing. He barged out, I ran after him terrified he would trample on her, but he stopped dead, squeezed himself as far against the wall as possible and carefully stepped round her before running off to freedom.
It's astonishing really when you think how high up it must feel to kids, if you sat me on a 50 hand horse I reckon I'd shake a bit!

Clodagh

Visit site
My Small Boy started at 1. He had a cub safari saddle - would recommend them - and a not too wide pony.'They' do say that its not good for a childs pelvis to be on a wide pony for a long time, but he never rode for long anyway, it was just an easier way for me to walk the dogs!
Hes 5 now and doing Pony Club.