Mums....would you let your daughter hunt/compete....even ride!

keeperscottage

Visit site
I replied to a post about the death of the young event rider as reported in last week in H&H, referring to my daughter's recent brush with death. I had a couple of replies which have led my daughter to suggest I actuallly start a post about this particular subject, so here it is, and I'd love to hear from mums (and others) with their opinion!

My daughter has always had the luxury of having a horsey mum (caught the dreaded horse disease in 1963 and there is no cure!); she started riding at 4 and never had to ask/beg/plead for a pony, she KNEW it was inevitable that she would get one....in fact she had two by the age of 6! From a brave early stage, she "wobbled" a bit around the 8 years of age mark, to suddenly turn into this mad, dare devil rider her PC DC described as "supremely confident". Those were the halcyon days.......April 2006, we walked the open cross country course at Horseheath and my daughter said "Mum, I don't think I can do this", "Why not?" I snapped, Pony Club mum style, "Because my knee hurts too much", "Oh, for God sake go to the doctor then". After an x-ray, the result of which we were told would take two weeks, we were called in the following day to be told that she could have cancer.........she was 16. She loved life. She was bright. She was popular. She was straight and "took no prisoners". She was gorgeous, tall, slim and attractive. Within a week or two, it was confirmed and days later she was on chemo. She shaved off her beloved hair rather than see it fall out and gave away her equallty beloved GHD hair straighteners. No one saw her without hair, though. She had several gorgeous wigs and slept in a "beanie" hat! She had her chemo at University College Hospital in London and had surgery on the 5th August 2006 at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore where 12 inches of bone was removed from her left leg and replaced with a titanium rod. The surgeon didn't want her to ride competitively ever again "We can get you back on a horse" he said - but that wasn't enough....to ride, you have to complete! To compete, you have to win! To come second is to lose! She was told that following surgery, she would be in hospital for 10-12 days. "No, 3 to 5" she protested....she was out by Day 5! After this, NO-ONE doubted her determination! The surgeon told her that she couldn't ride until May 2007 but by October 2006 she was back on her outgrown 14.1hh. I can remember how she had to take her crutches to the brick wall where she could clamber on her pony! Anyway, she told me prior to surgery that she would be out hunting by Boxing Day and I remember bumping into one of the Joint Masters with his wife at the check-out in Waitrose....I told him of her aim, adding I thought it a bit optimistic........"She must aim for the stars" he said...a week or so after her first ride on her 14.1hh, she hacked out on her 16.2hh ex-point-to-pointer (even jumped a ditch!), and, despite being really poorly over Christmas due to seven or eight months of chemo and really grim blood levels, she made it to the Boxing Day Meet. I was so proud of her! (There is a photo of her on our village website which she was horrified to see since she looks so chubby and "moon faced" due to steroids!) She only stayed out for a short while since her pony became too strong for her. But that's all in the past now! Chemo finished end of January 2007, and six months on, she's back to normal (ie, bloody horrible teenager again!). All she has to show for that last year is short curly hair and, instead of being 5'9 and slim, she's 5'9 and "stocky", due to those dreaded steroids!.... . I bought her another ex-point-to-pointer from a friend of mine and he's wonderful! (Other ex-pointer is now in foal to Primitive Proposal.) He's currently being schooled by a local event rider, who's ridden at Badminton and Burghley, with a view to my daughter eventing him herself. She also wants to ride in a point-to-point....AND she has a youngster to back in the not too distant future. Her horses are "serious" horses, not plods (Oh, how I wish....!!!). She has so many plans, most of which involve a large element of danger. She's now 18, an adult.........come on mums, how would YOU feel if it was your daughter???

PaintboxEDT

Visit site
firstly congrats to your daughter for being so determined and courageous and to you for being so strong.
im glad its all in the past and she is ok now and so daring and ambitious its great that she wants to do all these things and enjoy life and yes there is an element of danger involved with the things she wants to do but i think there is with anything these days,i understand your concern being a mother myself but i suppose she wanst to live life to the max now !!
im sure she knows her limits and will not push them so i think you should let her do it as by the sounds of it theres no stopping her !!!!
smile.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I'd be anxious as anything if it was my daughter.

Huge hugs to her for being so brave and determined ((( )))

BUT... life is what you make it. Your daughter has gone through so much and out of this knows in her heart that you have to grab what you can in life and enjoy it to the full.

There is danger around every corner, even crossing the road is dangerous at times, you can't wrap your kids in cotton wool. if she wants to do this, let her. I have a feeling she will do you proud.

BBs

Visit site
I dont have children so cannot comment on a mothers point of view.
But just wanted to say what a real fighter your daughter is, and shes lucky to have such a strong supporting family.
A real inspiration, I hope she succeeds in everything she goes for.

keeperscottage

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I'm so proud of my daughter! Forgot to mention that she got the "all clear" on Monday from University College Hospital (subject to regular scans, of course). SO proud! Dad....well, he moved to New Zealand a month before her diagnosis......very little contact between the two of them.

mrsdoyal

Visit site
You must be so so proud of her! As a horsewoman and mother myself, I appreciate how you feel. As for dad - bad chap, even from the other side of the world he should have been there. Your daughter obviously has inherited her great courage from her mother.
xxx

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Whew what a question..
The answer is in my case although it would put me through hell I would let her do whatever she wanted.
She has in her own head already confronted death in the face, so what could be worse for her?
You and I know having that horse gene makes your life no option but to be around them, and if Bob Champion can win the Grand National after chemo then perhaps his is the example to follow.
I have watched my beloved sister deal with two different types of cancer both incurable for nearly nine years, so I do have a little idea of what they confront.
16 is young to deal with the possibility of dying, yet she has obviously done it and with maturity.
Your instinct is to wrap her in cotton wool for ever, but perhaps she acknowledges the fact it may return at some point and wants to get the very best out of her life from now on.
I find it difficult to watch every XC my daughter does, so it will be so much harder for you I suspect. Plus she's 18, an adult... I say support her, buy the best safest horse you can afford and some strong cloth for yourself. (to bite on when she competes...
wink.gif
)

Onyxia

Visit site
Worried sick that something would happen to her, but oh so VERY proud of her!
She sounds like an amazing young woman,sure she will do everything she has set her mind to.

SSM

Visit site
I would be so proud of her - we have one life to live, we don't know how or when it will end - grab it with both hands.

splatty

Visit site
Think your daughter is amazing, having had a very close cousin who went through very similar but didnt survive, i think you have to encourage and be very proud of her and i know us mums have that must protect them streak but we just take big breaths and smile and let them get on with it, i have 12yr old who thinks she is invinceable on her pony at sj at 3ft plus makes me feel sick every time. lol
laugh.gif

Smash

Visit site
From what it sounds like, you'll having trouble stopping her!

It's understandable that you'd fret, but when confronted with something like cancer it is definitely a wake up call to live life to the full, which it certainly sounds like she is.
grin.gif

Accy

Visit site
I am not a mother but a step mother and to be totaly honest i would back her 100% she has fought and won shown a tremendous (sp) courage and will to get through and be it riding plods !!! or Serious horses !!! does it really matter she sounds to have an amazing zest for life and that is something to be treasured and encouraged, you get one life LIVE IT!!!!

zigzag

Visit site
I am not a mother, but reckon you should life as you want, "live every day as it is your last cos one day you will be right" I also think when your time is up it is up, I saw two very close friends dies suddenly. both basically dropped dead
frown.gif
one from a brain anuerism and one from an asthma attack, support your daughter and be very proud of her, she is amazing

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I would be very worried, just like you are, but your daughter sounds like an amazing young woman who knows how precious and fleeting life can be so I think that you will support her in all that she chooses to do. The very best of luck to both of you. Annie x

the watcher

Visit site
My son rides (we don't all have daughters LOL), I have always encouraged him, and his long term life plan is to work with horses and play polo at every opportunity. Good luck to him, I say..in fact I'll be there to support him for as long as I am able.

Your daughter is well aware how fragile life is, and understandably she wants to pack in every experience possible, and achieve as much as she can. I am sure you are rightly proud of her. I understand your fears..but believe me, I meet so many young people who have no ambition, no objectives and no will to make anything of themselves..those that do want to do something should be supported, I think.

browbrow

Visit site
Oh gosh - I think you are an amazing mum and you have a very special daughter!!

I think you are right to be worried but I think support is the best thing she could have!!! I am no mum but being ill recently myself - having the goal of getting back on my horse really helped me through the dark times....

I hope she wins the olympics or something....... what a story - what a good film it would make .....!!!!!!

She is a true inspiration - I wish all blokes had balls like your lassie!!!

Tell her not to worry about the steroids - I am on them too and heck - how awful!! She will loose the puffiness eventually tho!!

I wish you all the best for the future - there should be more people in the world like you two!!

Jellicle

Visit site
I don't have children so I can't comment, but just wanted to say what an inspiring story this is, and that you should be very proud of the daughter you have raised.

dozzie

Visit site
I think you should not just be proud of your daughter but proud of yourself for supporting her the way you have. Shes lucky to have you encouraging her and allowing her to continue to do what she loves. Well done to both of you.
smile.gif
Continue to support her in whatever she wants to do.
smile.gif
I wish her every success
smile.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think you and your daughter are an inspiration. I have an 18 year old daughter and can't imagine how we would cope with something like this. Your daughter sounds determined not to let the cancer affect her life but can imagine how hard it must be for you to let her carry on hunting, competing. Incredibly hard though it would be if I was in your shoes I would support my daughter and be immensely proud of her. If your girl is anything like mine if she wasn't able to do these things she would only be living half a life anyway. As a single mum whose ex does spend quite a bit of time with the kids my heart goes out to you that you had to go through all this on your own. Her Dad sounds a waste of space!

KarenX

Visit site
Thanks for your inspiring story! I would be incredibly proud as I'm sure you are of your daughter! She sounds amazing and has a real zest for life. I would say support her and try and enjoy it. I'm sure she will achieve plenty with her life. Good luck to you both.

Karen
smile.gif

Thistle

Visit site
Your daughter is obviously a determined and strong young woman.

Mine is just 16 and also hellishly determined to fight her passage in life, I suspect they may know each other from hunting?

Bee didn't get out at all this season but hunted her pony for the 3 seasons previously.

If you have the hunt calendar she is right in the middle of the big group picture all standing round on the opening meet, half way through the day, bay pony.

My neighbours son has recently had a long fight with Neuroblastoma at Addenbrookes. he was diagnosed aged 21/2 with a very slim chance of survival. All through his treatment when he was well enough (and sometimes when he was so weak he couldn't walk) he would come to visit us to see my old pony and ride him.
He is just starting school full time and has all clear with checkups.

These kids that are born with this determination are the great leaders and explorers of tomorrow. NOTHING gets in their way and we must NEVER prevent them from fulfilling their potential as they would grow to hate us for it.

It is a difficult job being a mum and a caretaker of someone elses future, we just have to do it the best you can.

Like you I am very proud of both my kids.

We must meet up and have a coffee sometime, Keepers Cottage as I feel we could get on well!

baleofhay

Visit site
What an amazing daughter you have. Well done to both of you. I think you will worry like mad but it has to be worth it. some one told me that fear is an enemy that stops us living our lives to the full so don't let it win . good luck you both deserve it.
smile.gif

keeperscottage

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your amazing support! And, Browbrow, hope you'll soon be firing on all four cylinders again, but with regard to the steroids, she stopped taking them in January and although her face has slimmed down, the rest of her has yet to catch up! Eating very sensibly but still the excess won't shift completely!

Anyway, she's treating herself to a 9 week old Munsterlander puppy which we're collecting tonight. We're calling him Bryn and will be a new friend for Molly the manic 2 year old Springer and Lottie the loveable, docile 10 month old Golden Retriever! Life's good again!