Munstead abandoned

molly7886

just approached munstead for fence judging duties end more worries coming out than going in! apparently abandoned. not uprising now slippery due to sleety rain :-(

morrismob

A real shame as the xc ground looked good yesterday but not surprised, sadly. Thank goodness I could leave my decision till 8.30 by which time it was cancelled.

Now am I mad keeping fingers crossed that it goes ahead tomorrow ?

star

Can't believe tomorrow will go ahead and to be honest I'd rather they cancel and I get refund as cant get lorry out of yard in snow.

I walked the course yesterday, and was a bit worried about the forecast and the effect on the ground, which was wet and slippery in places. After pulling out of Tweseldown and now the cancellation of Munstead, it looks like the next one for me is Chilham at the end of April. Surely it can't keep like this until then? Can it?!! By the way Chilham is a fantastic venue for those who can get there.

charlie76

We were a little frustrated with how long it took to decide to abandon as the weather link from bdwp said it would snow heavily this morning. We travelled two hrs and had to turn straight back around.

suzi

I feel sorry for the organisers. The local forecasts were varied and the two that I use said rain but not snow.

It was sleety when I left home at 7am but wasn't settling at all. A very tricky situation.

charlie76 where are you hoping to go next?

Swirlymurphy

We were a little frustrated with how long it took to decide to abandon as the weather link from bdwp said it would snow heavily this morning. We travelled two hrs and had to turn straight back around.
It's a tough one though as when I arrived on the site at 7.30am it looked fine - snowy but rideable and safe. I live 3 miles away and we had no snow. My yard is half a mile away and at 7am there was very little snow. No-one expected the snow to worsen as quickly as it did.

As an organiser you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't. The decision to cancel is never taken lightly and to be honest the organisers deserve plaudits for putting an event on and trying to keep it going. Having seen the forecast, why didn't you decide not to go?

Last edited:
My daughter and I turned up at about 7.45am at Munstead and apart from having to be towed into the lorry park were quite prepared to run as it was just sleeting a bit. The ground on the SJ and XC was fine when we walked the courses the day before and could have taken a bit more rain. Unfortunately for everyone things deteriorated very quickly and snow started settling. The organisers had worked very hard and tried their best to carry on but sadly the weather was against us all.

Would like to add that it was very disappointing as my daughter was looking forward to her first run of the season, but I think the right decision was made, as by the time we were ten minutes down the road it was snowing very heavily.

Last edited: