Murphy again, please read

Equinus

Visit site
Please bear with me, I know I have asked before......
http://origin-forums.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=519192&highlight=murphy

But I really would like to find someone who knows our lovely boy. He is such a poppet and you can do most things with him. Load, clip, pull, traffic, worm (haven't shod but trims ok) Lovely kind eye, generous ears. Brilliant mixer.

But it seems he is a b*****d to ride! He is spooky, which in itself is not a problem, though out of character. And he doesn't have much of a clue in the school, but is easy to tack up, boot etc and doesn't fuss with his bit, easy to get on and lunges extremely well. He is away at the moment as we wanted him re-started, we were told by the girl we bought him from that he was quiet to ride when she put a novice on him a year ago.(!) The girl who is trying to get him going is very experienced and events successfully, and is a sympathetic rider. When she first got on him, she had to use voice to ge him going (and her long-suffering mum to run alongside) and the first time she used her legs he decked her. It seems every time she asks a question he rodeos and I am seriously thinking she should not be riding him at all.

Anyway, that is our problem, as they say, and that is not why I am posting again. But I really could do with some history on Murphy. I know about his early life and that he did nothing but amble about the farm as a youngster before being swapped for something smaller. But something must have happened to make a kind natured lovable boy so reactive. The girl trying with him at the moment does not want to give up with him, but I don't want her getting hurt either, and if we knew why he is like this it might help to understand him.

Cup of tea and one of my delicious courgette and lemon low fat muffins if you have got this far!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Muffins sound interesting! :D

Sorry, don't have time to read the other thread at the moment, but have you done all the vet checks?

One of ours gets verys stressed, tight and tense, but it works off after ten minutes or so. If she's ridden unsympathetically or too softly or too firmly then all he!! is let loose. No reason for it that we're aware of. She's been checked by the vet a couple of times - after vet, saddler, physio, feed, all being checked/sorted, we're putting it down to her just being a very sensitive horse that has to be ridden in a particular way. Note: just re-read that bit - she doesn't get her own way, just the rider gets her way without causing a melt-down and it's taken over a year to get to this stage.

Equinus

Visit site
After a session which started really well and ended with the poor girl hitting the deck yet again, we have decided to call it a day before someone gets hurt. There is no way that I will ever be able to ride something that is unreliable, being realistic, and I would not let anyone else ride him, especially on the road, so he now retired and companion to field mate Fin and if ever we find our own place to rent (or win the lottery!) he can be companion to a nice safe cob, well and truly tried and tested!