Murphy

Equinus

Visit site
I have tried putting Murphy on the relevant tracing horses section (ages ago) but since then have realised that this area seems to have a lot more people looking so I hope it is OK to put something on here too.

We bought the lad last September from the field. We know nothing of him except that he has not been ridden for a year, he is a lovely character and we are really enjoying looking after him.

He is a 16.1 ish bay gelding, four white socks and a white flash on centre near side belly, 11 yo. He has a massive scar on near hind cannon, is slightly head shy, loads/travels/clips/farrier all good, excellent mixer. Seems well schooled(have lunged him only) and everyone falls in love with him, man or woman.

Someone says the scarring might have been caused when the wagon he was travelling in was hit by another wagon, causing the leg to be caught in the partition, but not 100%, and that he spent nearly a year on box rest (which would tie in with him getting really anxious if he in on his own)

Would really love to know his schooling history, whether he has been "written off" because of the injury, and if he is OK in traffic, or sensible to ride. (We will find that out soon anyway) Someone must have thought well of him if he was looked after for so long after the accident.

This lovely lad is with us for life, and we would love to ride him, or if he is too much for us oldies, find someone else to. But all three previous horses i have had came as youngsters with history and I'm finding it frustrating knowing nothing. Thanks for reading (If you're still there!)

murphy14911017-1.jpg

DSC_00112.jpg

murphy14911022.jpg

ruby1512

Visit site
He's a lovely boy thats for sure, have you tried 'tracing Equines'? I think the person who runs the site is on here too.

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Equinus, I can be of no help at all except to say he looks like quite a cool dude. Especially when he does this: :p

If one can read temperament from photo's, I'd say he would be a lovely boy to ride.
If he is sound, I'd hop on for a quick test, just sit on him with no stirrups and someone holding him, ready to bail off (but I think he'll be as good as gold)

Good luck with your quest for his history - and please post some pics when you start working him under saddle!

Equinus

Visit site
Thanks both. He is a sweetheart. So much for my resolve to move him on if things don't work out. No chance of that now, so I will persevere with the diet (not that he won't take me, not that huge, just want to be more supple:)) and OH will have to have as many lessons as we can afford. We have been offered a bombproof warmblood to use too so we can go out together.

Can't wait.

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Thanks both. He is a sweetheart. So much for my resolve to move him on if things don't work out. No chance of that now, so I will persevere with the diet (not that he won't take me, not that huge, just want to be more supple:)) and OH will have to have as many lessons as we can afford. We have been offered a bombproof warmblood to use too so we can go out together.

Can't wait.

Equinus! He's too lovely NOT to ride, if he's sound. Besides, what are OH's for if not for test-riding. :D I say forget the diet, gird your loins with some Jaffa cakes, and give the husbeast a leg up onto handsome boy! This way I can guarantee YOU won't be unseated - it works for me! ;)
Seriously though, you'll supple up very quickly once you start riding him - and when the bombproof warmblood is in your hands, well, it sounds like heaven! Do let us know how you get on - best of luck.

Equinus

Visit site
Equinus! He's too lovely NOT to ride, if he's sound. Besides, what are OH's for if not for test-riding. :D I say forget the diet, gird your loins with some Jaffa cakes, and give the husbeast a leg up onto handsome boy! This way I can guarantee YOU won't be unseated - it works for me! ;)
Seriously though, you'll supple up very quickly once you start riding him - and when the bombproof warmblood is in your hands, well, it sounds like heaven! Do let us know how you get on - best of luck.

Love it!:D

Going to see a lady on Sunday about re-starting him. I'm sure there will be no problems, he has obviously had some training (moves beautifully too!) We had 2 stage vetting when we bought him to make sure we weren't buying a load of vet fees, and the vet didn't think the scarring was an issue unless we wanted to sell. So yes, he is sound, and now his hooves are growing well and looking strong, there are no excuses for putting anything off.

Equinus

Visit site
Had some information that he might have been sold to a Ms Stokes in Staffordshire in November 2008, but without a photo there is no positive proof it was our Murphy, even though the pieces fit.:confused:

Equinus

Visit site
Had an email from the lady who registered Murphy as a two year old. Seems he already had the scarring on his leg when she got him. Apparently he escaped and was found trapped in a gate as a yearling.

This lady had him some years, but because of personal circumstances did not do much with him. She can't remember exactly when he went, but he was exchanged for a coloured ride and drive cob. He was backed but no more, so someone out there has schooled him, as I believe he is well schooled. He has no record of vaccinations on his passport so presumably has not been competed. (unless anyone knows different?)
Davessecondlesson027.jpg

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I can't help you at all sorry just wanted to say what a lovely boy he is! Hope you find what you're looking for info wise. He's gorgeous!

Equinus

Visit site
I can't help you at all sorry just wanted to say what a lovely boy he is! Hope you find what you're looking for info wise. He's gorgeous!

Awwww thanks. Must admit we are a bit besotted with him. He and our dogs are our family.

We will keep plugging away, someone will recognise him one day. We had someone on a non-animal related website recognise him (she thinks) when I added a picture to a pet thread.

MarinaBay

Visit site
He is lovely - I wish you all the best with re starting him.

I tried to trace the history of my mare and couldn't find much about the few years I had missing. Then one day I was in the local tack shop looking for a new bit as she had bolted off with me a few too many times. The shop assistant was asking about her and it turns out she had owned her - She was horrible about her - said she should be shot, barbed wire was the only suitable bit etc! I showed her a picture of her then and she was quite surprised and it soon took the smug look off her face. Before she had her foal she was in a snaffle and I have had no problems with bolting since!

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Equinus, he's looking lovely and I am glad you have a bit mroe info on him. I assume that's the imminent "test rider"in the latest pic? well, he not only loks like he and Murphy are pals, but he looks fit ;) (I know there's a Brit expression like "he looks well fit" or something which means something entirely different, I think?!!)

Anyway he looks like he is a fit kind of chap, and he's had a lesson or two, so put him on.
You know I'm only putting pressure on you (how cheeky can I be???) because one of mine has been out of work for ages, for various reasons, and I'm trying to get my lardy self to pluck up the necessary gumption to hop on him and hope he doesn't toss me off like a fly :eek:

Please keep posting progress... there's something about Murphy that just somehow really has captured my interest. He's got that "something special" that is hard to define.:)

Princess Jess

Visit site
He looks like a real sweetie!
Sounds like a bit of a mystery...looking forward to hearing what else you find out about him :)

(PS. If you need a test rider let me know! I may have to steal him first though :p)