Murphy's turn to put a :) on my face - Somerley Open Novice

lex2501

Visit site
Last weekend Murphy and I headed down to Somerley to have a crack at the Open Novice! I was so disappointed by the cancellation of Wilton which is one of my favourite events in the calendar but the team at Somerley did the most fantastic job of filling in and the ground and courses were fantastic :)

I walked the course and there was only really one combination which left me scratching my head - and that was the pallisade with a right hand turn to a bullfinch brush which was begging for a run out as the ground line ran away, and the brush was cut away. Murphy can get a bit onward bound so I knew it would need some careful riding!

I was first to go for the dressage and made the judge smile by heading in early ;) He lit up as soon as we headed over which makes for an impressive but inconsistent picture, with visible tension at times :rolleyes:. I rode quite cautiously as I knew he could bubble over at any minute! I didn't really risk the medium canters and ended up with 6's and "no clear diff" in the comments but the medium trot work has improved vastly with 7's for both. Sadly the walk really suffered with the tension and he crabbed around for 6's :eek: I came out expecting late 30's so was reasonable pleased with 34 which was no disgrace in the section with only one in the 20's.

Onto our least favourite phase :eek: We were one of the first to go after the course change over from the morning's intermediate so we arrived in a nice quiet warm up area :) I had jumped him the previous day with my instructor so didn't do too much. He clobbered a parallel so went straight in hoping that would get him up in the air :cool: I met the first fence perfectly in a good canter, and Murph hit it rather hard but it miraculously stayed up :confused: So change of tactic was quickly deployed and I gave him a firm check and put him deep to the next upright which he sprouted wings over. Realising that the deep spots worked for him, I continued the course like that with Murphy being exceptionally careful. Sadly he took the middle element of the treble but finished on 4 faults which is not at all bad for a serial pole basher over a course which caused it's fair share of problems! It probably wasn't the prettiest of rounds - but you don't win prizes in eventing for being pretty ;) :p
I have full permission to post all photos - and please excuse DREADFUL lower leg position - I seem to try and make up for his lack of height over coloured poles with by throwing myself over too :eek:

1AB_8165.jpg

1AB_8166.jpg

1AB_8161.jpg

1AB_8164.jpg

TBC.....

lex2501

Visit site
.....Then for the XC :D We were 2nd to run in the Novice so had no idea of how the course was riding. We set off and had lovely bold jumps over the first 3 straight forward fences. Got to 4 which was a round top to a step up on a curving line to a house. We had a little disagreement over speed of approach and so scrambled over all 3 elements but there was never any question of whether we would get to the other side :) I let him bowl on up the hill and he jumped the fences in the house beautifully :) then galloped on down the hill back into the park through the flower box combination well. We really seem to be firming up our partnership now as we met the next couple of big bold galloping fences out of a stride and wasted no time at all :) Next up was the 2 corners on 5/6 strides through the woods. We had a good shot at the first, so knowing how honest and straight he is I went for the 5 strides and it came up perfectly - big grins! :D He felt absolutely superb at this point, really taking me away from the fences and covering the ground easy peasy! We popped the next few fences then came to the tricky pallisade to bullfinch. I really checked him on the approach and got him back on his hocks. I popped the pallisade neatly:
PM5_4819.jpg

Pointed him at the bullfinch and rode forward for a lovely jump - PERFECT :D
PM5_4820.jpg

PM5_4822.jpg

The water was a little tricky with a wiggle required in the water to line up for the angled skinnies out but he was so rideable and went through superbly. I looked down at my watch to see we had 30 seconds left, so eased off, cantered over the last and hacked through the finish flags 7 seconds inside the time - Mission accomplished :cool:

He made the course feel absolutely easy peasy so I sorted him out, filled him with sweeties, loaded him and took him home thinking there wasn't much hope of a good placing finishing on 38 in an open novice, with such a straight forward xc with an achievable time...... Oh how wrong I was! :D The tricky combination had taken a number of victims and there were only 11 clears in my section (yes, the open :eek:) and only 3 inside the time so we finished in 4th - Hoooray for Murphy!!! Our best result to date :D I'm absolutely over the moon with him :D He is such an incredible genuine chap, puts up with all sorts of jockey errors and takes over when necessary. There is never any doubt about getting himself the other side of a fence, between the flags despite being put on some shockingly bad strides :cool:

And most importantly, he is as sound as a pound for his efforts, and enjoyed a nice physio session this morning ready for our next run around Burnham Beeches in a couple of weeks :D

jules89

Visit site
CONGRATULATIONS! I don't know what you are on about with your SJ though, it always looks fab to me and the pics reflct that!

Good luck for BB, I can't remember if Z is there or not but will say hi if he is!

almostthere

Visit site
Yay for Murphy! Lovely report as always..feel like I am riding the xc with you (although I wouldn't make it to the start with nerves). Blimey what a pair of lovely grey boys you have...can't be a complete coincidence that they both look to help you out where they can? Must be something to do with rider/horse partnership...Big :))

star

Visit site
another fab outing! What day are you at BB? I'm feeling the need to get back out eventing rather desperately, even if it is just as groom and photographer!

lex2501

Visit site
CONGRATULATIONS! I don't know what you are on about with your SJ though, it always looks fab to me and the pics reflct that!

Good luck for BB, I can't remember if Z is there or not but will say hi if he is!

You haven't seen us SJ in the flesh :eek: Oh how the camera lies!! ;) Ahh yes defo come and find me for a chin wag if you are at BB :D

Woohoo congrats :D

:D Thank you!

Well done!!!

Thanks Saratoga, was really good to see you! How did your day go?

YAY for Murphy!

Your grey boys are just awesome :) Well done!!!

Hope you are getting your Gatcombe 1* entry in soon? :D

FEI reg done.... entry about to go in!!! :D :D Will Morris be there?!?

Naww Murphy so clever and just gorgeous. So glad you had a good day, love reading the reports of the grey boys :)

Ahh thank you very much! My grey boys are on such fine form :)

Lovely report and lovely photos! Glad you had such a good day.:)

Thanks Sabel! Pleased as punch with the boy :cool:

He looks awesome! Brilliant result and sounds like he was great xc! :D

Thank you! XC is definitely his thing :cool: I just hit cruise control when I leave the start box and enjoy the ride :D

Yay for Murphy! Lovely report as always..feel like I am riding the xc with you (although I wouldn't make it to the start with nerves). Blimey what a pair of lovely grey boys you have...can't be a complete coincidence that they both look to help you out where they can? Must be something to do with rider/horse partnership...Big :))

:):):):) I think it's probably something to do with the copious amounts of carrots, polos, apples.... etc etc ... but what a lovely thought!! ;)

Fabulous, well done :D Love reading your reports-the partnership you have with your horses is admirable :)

What a lovely thing to say - thank you so much bananas! They are dearly loved :)

another fab outing! What day are you at BB? I'm feeling the need to get back out eventing rather desperately, even if it is just as groom and photographer!

I'm at BB on the sunday! Come along?!

What a result :D great photo's too, and good luck for Burnham Beeches.

Thank you very much :D

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Congratulations! Fabulous report :)

Murphy looks stunning as always and I'm another who doesn't believe your SJing can be that bad! You both look so neat and in harmony in all the photos!
You XC rounds sound like so much fun that I'm grinning with you as you describe your ride.

Best of luck at BB and at Gatcombe!