Muscle tear in thigh

Miss Bossy

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with a muscle tear in the inner thigh?

My boy came in from the field unable to walk on his hind legs and seemed really unbalanced. On closing looking we found a large hematoma on this inside of his thigh, vet was called and advised complete box rest and he would come back in a few days to review and if necessary drain the hematoma. Thankfully the bute and steroids had reduced the swelling enough for the area to be scanned and it showed a tear to the thigh muscle.

The vet advised complete box rest for up to 4 weeks, unfortunately after 7 days of bute and steroid powder he had a reaction and had a mild case of colic, thankfully all ok but the vet said he was to have no further meds as this was the likely cause... so far so good, he's happy and relatively settled for a horse that's been on box rest for 3 weeks. This week is week 3 and the vet is due back tomorrow to re scan to see if he can come out of his stable.

I guess my question is has anyone had this type of injury? how long did the recovery take? Any ideas on what to expect? The vet believes he will have a full recovery and be able to be back out competing at advanced medium level after his recovery, but looking to hear other people's experiences.

be positive

Visit site
I would get referred to a physio once the initial pain and swelling has gone, the last time a vet diagnosed a torn muscle in one of mine they recommended weeks of box rest, months of field rest and possibly no jumping in the future, he had some physio and was back in full work totally sound in far less time than expected, I think the physio was essential to his recovery but the vet never even suggested it, he was more than happy when I asked for a referral, they sometimes forget that there are options of therapy that they do not provide.

Miss Bossy

Visit site
Thanks, I have our usual physio appointment booked for the end of the month and hoping the vet agrees it's a good idea. From what I can find and have read online, gentle movement and physio will all help his recovery. Think we are both going crazy after doing nothing for 3 weeks!

be positive

Visit site
I would expect them to use lazer therapy rather than hands on, I think that is what my pony had, my equine physio used it on me when I had a badly sprained ankle, the improvement and speed of healing was amazing, I had treatment every day for about 5 days as she was at livery at the time so fitted in my treatment while doing her pony.

First Flame

Visit site
Another vote for good physio. My girl had a haematoma on her back (we think from a loose stallion) and it was the physio and gentle movement that got her comfortable and working again rather than any medication. She had a combination of laser and also good massage to work out the knot she was left with in the muscle.

Miss Bossy

Visit site
Thanks, vet re scanned the thigh this week and the muscle is healing well, but still some swelling and has said he is to remain on box rest for a further 2/3 weeks as he would like the swelling to be down further to allow the muscle to heal.
I have physio booked for week after next which will hopefully help. Anyone have any idea what I can expect next? I understand it is likely to take months to fully heal, but am I look at walking hand or restricted turn out?