Muscle wastage/atrophy

khalino

Visit site
Hi guys,

So, I've had the physio out for my boy and there is a ton of atrophy from where his saddle fitted so poorly before and although she was great with giving me a few excersises to work on from the ground, which I've been doing, and lunging; what else can I do to help him gain that muscle back?

In regards to other questions; his saddle now fits well, i've got the Osteopath on Sunday and yes I'm scared I've broken my horse.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have taken on a couple of horses before who had been ridden in poorly fitting saddles and had muscle atrophy. I used Suber pads on them - not everyone likes them as they can feel a little bulky but truly, they helped enormously. Have a look at their website.
Lots of groundwork, long reining and hill work under saddle will also help. Ideally a few months off turned out might help the muscle to improve before starting work though obviously that's a pain in the neck!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Hi guys,

what else can I do to help him gain that muscle back?

In regards to other questions; his saddle now fits well, i've got the Osteopath on Sunday and yes I'm scared I've broken my horse.

Which particular muscle are you referring to? Why now the switch to the Osteo?

How old is the horse? What work is he in and how long have you owned him?

khalino

Visit site
Which particular muscle are you referring to? Why now the switch to the Osteo?

How old is the horse? What work is he in and how long have you owned him?

The muscles behind his shoulders/withers. And I'm not switching as such, but it's more ruling out anything else the pysio hasn't.
He's 15, I had him for 9 months and the bad fitting saddle was my mistake.

khalino

Visit site
Nudi - thanks for the tips about the Sudi pads, I'm looking at them now.
Long reining I can do, and lunging I can do, thank you :D And definitely hillwork.

Bernster

Visit site
Nudi - thanks for the tips about the Sudi pads, I'm looking at them now.
Long reining I can do, and lunging I can do, thank you :D And definitely hillwork.

Yeo,all this, plus maybe try Pessoa or equi ami, and pole work. Gradual build up and getting horse to work over his back in ground work and ridden. Hope it goes ok.

khalino

Visit site
He's on Soft n Soak Solution Mix and Mollichaff Calmer. But I've got an open bag of Calm and Condition, so I'm splitting that and the Chaff.
My physio suggested something to do with Baileys but I've totally forgotten the number.

gunnergundog

Visit site
The muscles behind his shoulders/withers. And I'm not switching as such, but it's more ruling out anything else the pysio hasn't.
He's 15, I had him for 9 months and the bad fitting saddle was my mistake.

I assume therefore that a) the physio has given you exercises to reduce the atrophy and b) has also approved the newly fitted/re-fitted saddle, or......?

Also, on which side was the muscle atrophy 'behind his shoulders/withers'? What level of work is he in currently and what was he doing when you purchased him?

Last edited:

khalino

Visit site
I assume therefore that a) the physio has given you exercises to reduce the atrophy and b) has also approved the newly fitted/re-fitted saddle, or......?

Also, on which side was the muscle atrophy 'behind his shoulders/withers'? What level of work is he in currently and what was he doing when you purchased him?

Yep, you've got it in one. She's happy with the new saddle and I've got excersises to help this.

It was on both sides, clearly showing the pinching and he should be in medium work but I've had my confidence knocked so badly it's not even considered light work at the moment.
When I got him, he wasn't doing anything, he was bought from a field, and had been out of work for a good couple of years, but before that he'd been in medium work i think.