Museum of the Horse (Tuxford)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Hi chaps,

Bit if market research help needed, I live fairly near the museum and have volunteered to help out, so can I get some ideas/opinions? For example;

Have you heard of the museum before?
Have you visited before?
If you have heard of it but not visited why?
What sort of things would you expect too see at the museum?
If you were to go would you prefer to go round alone or in a group?
Would you be interested in a private tour or a group tour (riding club outing or similar)
How long on average would you say you'd want to spend somewhere like the museum?
What would you expect the cost to be?

Or anything else that might attract you/or put you off going (is a cafe on site that does cake....?)

No wrong answers but would love to know what people think etc ☺️ It's the most amazing place, full of history and heritage of rural life not just horses and I could spend days there ?

So good folks.......give me your thoughts ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Not heard of it (feel embarassed now).
I's expect all types of bits, harness, tack, photos of days gone by out in the fields, the roads and the stabling they had etc. Interactive something for children.
Maybe a short film clip from the past. Statues, brasses, old vehicles, lamps, things dating waaaay back too.
Inclusive of all things horse from pit ponies to racing, showing to endurance, hunting to dressage, carriage driving through the years to farm horses and war horses.

I prefer going round on my own or with 2 or 3 others - and definitely expect cake at the end!

Perhaps visiting artists - even getting displays in one area, could entice monthly public visits if you could get the collections to lend some on particular themes? I went to the Stubbs exhibition when it was touring, only at a local gallery for a week and it was v busy, but easier to see than trekking miles away.

Andrew657

Visit site
Never heard of it.

Would expect similiar things to TFF.

Would prefer to go around on my own (or with people I'm with) - however a guided tour can be great when he guide is able to put items into context - and maybe highlight items that would be too easy to go straight past.

Would probably plan for 1-2 hours (including coffee) / looks like a possible stop off en-route to say Burghley

stangs

Visit site
Also never heard of it, does seem like worth a visit (from the photos on TripAdvisor) but I live down South so I’d probably only visit if I was in the area for whatever reason.

I personally don’t like going on tours in museums, but the option might be a good idea for non-horsey folks who need a bit more explaining. As a riding club outing, I’m sure it would be fun.

Above ideas about gaining notice are both quite good, one other might be to see if there’s any way of loaning some more interesting things to do some temporary exhibitions with? Tack from non-Western/European cultures for example.

Karran

Visit site
Also never heard of it.

Most of my thoughts match with TFF. Visiting artists would be a big draw. I also went to the British Museum's exhibit on Arabs a few years back, so exhibitions similar would be interesting.
I love history so I'd be drawn to exhibits on the history of native breeds, of pit ponies, how tack developed and changed. Even an exhibit on stuff like the mounted police, or the US pony express would draw me in.

Cake is alwaaaaaays a good draw. I go to exhibits on my own quite often so i'd probably also do so with this.

AFB

Visit site
Never heard of it - and I'm only in the next county.

Personally I like to be left to my own devices, not a fan of organised tours - but maybe people around that can answer questions - a bit like NT properties.

honetpot

Visit site
Hi chaps,

Bit if market research help needed, I live fairly near the museum and have volunteered to help out, so can I get some ideas/opinions? For example;

Have you heard of the museum before?
Have you visited before?
If you have heard of it but not visited why?
What sort of things would you expect too see at the museum?
If you were to go would you prefer to go round alone or in a group?
Would you be interested in a private tour or a group tour (riding club outing or similar)
How long on average would you say you'd want to spend somewhere like the museum?
What would you expect the cost to be?

Or anything else that might attract you/or put you off going (is a cafe on site that does cake....?)

No wrong answers but would love to know what people think etc ☺️ It's the most amazing place, full of history and heritage of rural life not just horses and I could spend days there ?

So good folks.......give me your thoughts ?
I think any venue needs good toilets and a café. The National Horse Racing Museum, as a really good café, and I use it every time I am in Newmarket, the Cambridge Botanic Garden, you have to pay to get in to use the café, so I never go. No how disinterested you are in what you see, there are some I think that are over sold, we always buy a drink and usually a meal.
I think if you hook parents with younger children, you can at least double your profit on the admission fee. Alnwick castle has this cracked, so some sort of dressing up, mechanical horse, game guessing what each piece of equipment is for. I think a vist usally unless its a stately home is two hours max.
I went around our local museum and I think they made old equipment not look relevant, when really the principles used are just the same in modern machinery.
A lot of the old boys would have used horses for farming, so there is an overlap between old tractors and horses. Tractor days attract, people who are not just interested in horses.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Thanks all, keep ideas coming, Dave's Mam and AFB if you do go, or anyone in fact can you let me know what you think? And what you enjoyed etc?

Interestingly a lot of what people would like a a special draw is actually already in the museum, saddles from all around the world, lots about pit ponies, veterinary and military artefacts (including an unused injured soldier carrying device that had one soldier sat on a seat each side of the horse!) Maybe a focus area each month or a couple of times a year could be used as a draw? They did do a side saddle exhibition a few years ago, and a lot of the artifacts are still there. Oh to be dainty and elegant enough to fit in some of the habits ?

So another question for you folks, where would you expect to see something like this advertised? Social media? Horse mags? Leaflets at other local attractions? ?

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Never heard of it, but a lot of small museums run by volunteers do not have the budget for marketing.

Not far away, is, https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/, which has an amazing Lancaster bomber that they taxi out, and a NAAFI style tearoom

Oo is that Just Jane the Lancaster? Are they still hoping to get her airborne again? That would be awesome if she joined Vera and Thumper in the sky ☺️

Archangel

Visit site
Have you heard of the museum before? I've heard of it! It was on Bargain Hunt and it looked brilliant.
Have you visited before? No
If you have heard of it but not visited why? Out of my area sadly, but if I ever go that way I will be calling in.
What sort of things would you expect too see at the museum? Historic saddles, bits, shoes, famous horse info, military stuff, saddle fittings (Victorian and the like), working horse stuff and info on authors like Anna Sewell
If you were to go would you prefer to go round alone or in a group? Not fussed
Would you be interested in a private tour or a group tour (riding club outing or similar) Yes
How long on average would you say you'd want to spend somewhere like the museum? I should think an hour would fly by so between 1 - 2 hours
What would you expect the cost to be? Between £5 to £10

Or anything else that might attract you/or put you off going (is a cafe on site that does cake....?) Cafe is always good. Dog friendly (but understand that is a bit of an ask)

Pippity

Visit site
I'd heard of it after a disagreement with the... owner? Chief curator? He'd referred to 'squaws' in a Facebook post. After I pointed out that it was an offensive term and he should probably change it to 'women', he refused and allowed comments on the post to deteriorate into racism.

Antique Horse

New User
Visit site
I'd heard of it after a disagreement with the... owner? Chief curator? He'd referred to 'squaws' in a Facebook post. After I pointed out that it was an offensive term and he should probably change it to 'women', he refused and allowed comments on the post to deteriorate into racism.
Hi, I am the curator. I object very strongly to your comment that the thread became racist and that I allowed it to become so. If you re-read it you will see that most of the posters told you you were incorrect. That is probably why it left a bad taste in your mouth. Come and see the museum and you will see for yourself that we are far from racist and please introduce yourself to me when you come. Regards Sally.

Pippity

Visit site
Hi, I am the curator. I object very strongly to your comment that the thread became racist and that I allowed it to become so. If you re-read it you will see that most of the posters told you you were incorrect. That is probably why it left a bad taste in your mouth. Come and see the museum and you will see for yourself that we are far from racist and please introduce yourself to me when you come. Regards Sally.

Yes, most of the posters believed I was incorrect. However, it's extremely simple to prove that isn't the case. Your unwillingness to listen left a bad taste in my mouth.

It doesn't take a great deal of research. All you'd have to do is look in a dictionary, where it's universally listed as outdated and disparaging.

Antique Horse

New User
Visit site
Yes, most of the posters believed I was incorrect. However, it's extremely simple to prove that isn't the case. Your unwillingness to listen left a bad taste in my mouth.

It doesn't take a great deal of research. All you'd have to do is look in a dictionary, where it's universally listed as outdated and disparaging.

I did my research which is why I learnt there were mixed feelings on this. Dangerous to read just one opinion. This was backed up by most of the posts on the thread. If you read all the information on this you will find the word some translate this into is incorrect and inflammatory and that many of the Native Americans object to their language being translated thus. One should keep an open mind and is it really necessary to attack so rudely?

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I think a section on the evolution of the horse would be needed. A bit about archeological finds and their context. Charriot burials ect.

Tuxford is a place that I have driven past but never been my destination, so I am unaware of what is there.