Musing... What sort of salary to run a competition horse?

Hollyanna

Visit site
This is really interesting. But I definitely think you can run a horse on not much if you are willing to forgo a few things if its tight!

My DIY livery for 3 horses is £380 a month and I share my horse duties with a friend so we don't have to go up every morning (we take it in turns) and can have a night off if we want. It works perfectly as we have the advantages of being on livery when it suits us without the extra cost, just means that I have more horses to do on my morning!

My only comment with regards to running them on a tight budget is that if you have something unexpected (vets, car troubles etc), be prepared to go without yourself (i.e. i cancel my highlights for that month or don't get the new jeans or physio for my back!).

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way! I recently bought another horse, wasnt looking, but it was just meant to be and is the dream horse I always wanted, but couldn't bear to part with my others. My theory, you only live once, in a few years i will want a family (I am getting married this year), we already have a mortgage, i may as well do it while i can before other things get in the way!!

If you don't do it now, life will take over and you will always wonder, "what if?" :)

soulfull

Visit site
Interesting post
I guess as it's about competing most of replies seem to be from younger members

I'm 49 have had my family and now very happily live alone. For me there is no 'later on, next year'. With ill health it's now or never!!

I run a 2 bed rented house, car,after all essential bills I'm left with about £500 a month (never go on holiday or go out)

for clothes etc. one horse, small horse box. Horse on DIY £205 a month

I will be competing unaffil DR,SJ, doing some BSPS and county shows. But will depend on what I can afford.
I moved to a completion yard a few years ago to save on travelling.

As someone else has said it's 'living within your means'. As in the more you have the more you think you need!

Foxford

Visit site
This is interesting!

I think some of it depends on whether you're already geared up to get going immediately. I've just bought a decent 4x4 and trailer which has cost a significant amount (not to mention the trailer test + training)! I'm planning on having a quiet year by enjoying my new wheels - lots of cheap hacking and have plenty of lessons before affliating BD in Jan. Luckily my horse is also ready to go so no need for intensive training or spending money on getting him ring experience.

kit279

Visit site
I have three horses at home and they probably cost me about £500 per month in total for their basic keep. In addition to that, we have a mortgage in order to be able to have them at home. Having had them all on livery while we moved house, I absolutely know for a fact that it wouldn't be tenable financially to have them on livery all the time. I hope to get out and about competing a little later this year and I suspect that will add about £200 per month onto the cost. I do earn a reasonable amount but the downside is that I work very erratic and long hours and hardly ever have time to get out competing as working 1 in 2.4 weekends :( Still on the plus side, this means I do have the money to do if I ever have time!

wench

Visit site
Tbh I have to admit I'm a bit stuck on what to do. What I would really love (I think) is the salary and money to buy a nice horse I like and get on with, and be able to afford it on full livery with it being exercised/ridden properly, ie either schooled properly, or hacked out and lunged so I could do the schooling (badly) however unlikely I will ever be able to afford it.

Sorry moan over feeling sorry for myself this evening :(