Musings on horses behaviour

pistolpete

Visit site
Following another thread this popped into my head. Why would a horse being trained for completion behave much ‘better’ at a completion than at home?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Because horses are programed to react to change. If they’re in a new place, they don't know what's changed. I had a horse who was pretty much fine to hack anywhere the first time and a complete nightmare from then on. Every daffodil that wasn't there last time upset him.

daffy44

Visit site
It can be confidence, at home the horse is confident of its surroundings etc, so doesnt feel it needs the riders help or support. Away from home the horse may feel insecure and need its hand holding a bit, and so rely on its rider more, which will make it seem better behaved.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Horses that are only worked alone at home might feel more confident in a situation where there are lots of other horses around, or napping might factor into it as well- if they're in an unfamiliar arena etc, they can't nap towards their stable/field if they don't know where it is.

pistolpete

Visit site
Horses that are only worked alone at home might feel more confident in a situation where there are lots of other horses around, or napping might factor into it as well- if they're in an unfamiliar arena etc, they can't nap towards their stable/field if they don't know where it is.
That makes the most sense which when you think about it is sad. Herd animal taking comfort from others who are strangers but at least equids!

j1ffy

Visit site
Because horses are programed to react to change. If they’re in a new place, they don't know what's changed. I had a horse who was pretty much fine to hack anywhere the first time and a complete nightmare from then on. Every daffodil that wasn't there last time upset him.

It can be confidence, at home the horse is confident of its surroundings etc, so doesnt feel it needs the riders help or support. Away from home the horse may feel insecure and need its hand holding a bit, and so rely on its rider more, which will make it seem better behaved.

I’ve experienced both of these. Also as a rule riders will put the horse under less pressure away from home - eg normal practice is to train at a level or two higher than the level your competing at, so the work itself may be easier for the horse.

The idea that horses are calmer because other horses are nearby seems a bit bizarre to me - generally horses that are used to working alone are more anxious when put into a group environment.

humblepie

Visit site
Could it also be that the rider rides differently? I think I ride much more confidently at a competition than I do at home, particularly in the arena at the yard as I know where the pigeons lurk etc where at a show there is a prize to be won, so I kick on (well I don't kick, I apply a leg aid but you know what I mean).

littleshetland

Visit site
Temple Grandin writes that horses hold images in their minds of familiar places, so if something new appears in their familiar image that to their mind shouldn't be there, they will react, and their attention to detail can be amazing! If they're taken somewhere thats new or not so familiar, nothing really comes as a surprise to them. They get a bit more clingy, but they have no 'roadmap' in their minds of what they think it should look like.
I can agree with this as my horses are always more sassy when they're at home, and quite well behaved if we go out somewhere.