Must be something in the air today...

Hells Bells

Visit site
My mare...

Went to give her breakfast this morning, and she was snorty and prancy. Jack, the younger one and Rocket were both dead as dodos. Thought nothing of it, left her to her breakie and mucked out etc.

This lunchtime, I brought her in to groom her etc, and again, really snorty and ears pricked etc. Got her groomed etc, and popped her on the lunge. What. A. Nightmare.

Normally she is absolutely fine to lunge, very responsive etc. Today though, my god. we had massive bucks, dead stops as if something was hiding behind the hedge, the most prancy trot I have ever seen, never ending canters etc.

I did have a bit of a worry that maybe something was up with her, so called it a day, tied her up gave her a thorough look over etc. She looked fine, popped her the field, she had a roll and then started grazing happy as larry.

She's a typical chestnut mare at times, so I have put it down to this, am going to see how she is tomorrow, and if necessary I'll get her checked over by vet (maybe her eyesight?) but i think, having had and experienced her 15 years now, she was just being a tit.

Do your horses ever have days of absolute lunacy? I mean, obviously all horses have their hyper days, but this one was to the point of nearly being scary...

starbar

Visit site
Yes, I had a turbo charged hack yesterday. I put it down to the cooler weather and change in the seasons. Must say I rather enjoyed it! :D

lizsmith

Visit site
complete opposite to my boy! he is sooo quite and unresponsive - think i will be phoning the vet! although another horse on my yard has been prancing about and we put that down to the change of weather!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I think its the cooler weather. My boy was very much on his toes this morning when first went to ride, when i got on all he wanted to do was canter. Trying to sit for a long period to a arty farty trot is just not fun...briused bum!!
Then turned out after hr of schooling and he went off like a loon normally when been ridden he just mooches off. He is a daft 'oss!

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I lunged this morning, and although it's quite common for my young lad to sometimes charge off having a buck and a bit of a hooly for about a minute first thing, he was particularly rude this morning and my glasses somehow got knocked off!!!

I had to stand there blind (trying not to move in case I stood on my glasses) until he'd finished his minute of mayhem before I could look for them! Bloody horse :mad:.

He was impeccably behaved after that!

Hells Bells

Visit site
I lunged this morning, and although it's quite common for my young lad to sometimes charge off having a buck and a bit of a hooly for about a minute first thing, he was particularly rude this morning and my glasses somehow got knocked off!!!

I had to stand there blind (trying not to move in case I stood on my glasses) until he'd finished his minute of mayhem before I could look for them! Bloody horse :mad:.

He was impeccably behaved after that!

Oh no! you poor thing! Although, I must admit i had to laugh at that a little bit! :D

VixieTrix

Visit site
I hope you girl is ok :) Occasionally Blue will have a few loopy days, when the horses spot us they come up to the gate and all the others will stand still but Blue will run about have a little buck and generally throw himself around, all the others horses just stare at him weirdly! Seems to happen at random! (I do always check him over after and he is always fine)

Hells Bells

Visit site
Thanks hun :)

I'm gonna see how she goes tomorrow (on the lunge again) and if she really is a nutjob again, i think i'll get her looked over. Never really had any problems with her before, but its worth knowing. I'd feel awful if i put it down to naughtiness and it was actually cos she wasnt feeling right!

L&M

Visit site
A long shot but is she having her last season of the year - the first and last ones are meant to be the most 'violent'! The mare on my yard is a nut job atm...

Hells Bells

Visit site
Well, i havent seen her usual 'i'm in season, everybody look at me!' traits, but that's not to say you're wrong!! I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Imagine if we as humans acted like this every month!

thankyou :)

Keimanp

Visit site
I've had a Gelding who has been high on something in the air for the last couple of days! Took him out on a hack for an hour today and he was 'forward going' to say the least. We normally have work on walking on the way back rather than the persistant jogging. but the Jogging started on the drive today!!

Hopefully it will pass soon!

ali87uk

Visit site
Have just replied to another post, but do agree, my mare has become loopy again the last few days! I blame the cold temp, bit of a shock!

Marydoll

Visit site
This is interesting, thought it was just mine.
I put her pratting around today down to moving yards 2 days ago .
Sole let for my 3 guys so no other animal distractions and is out competing regularly so copes well outwith her home zone.
Acting like a goat when trying to get on in new arena, then when on board was well wired, its not only tiggers that bounce !!!
She settled down after 20 mins or so, personLly i think it coukd be the weather as it was a bit nippy here today

rose bud

Visit site
Im glad its not just me!
I bought a gelding recently who has turned from a bombproof angel out hacking to a spooky monster!
As i don't know him that well yet i was starting to worry, but reading everyones replies puts my mind at rest a bit!

Barleyboo

Visit site
My gelding turned into a total monster when we were out the day before yesterday. I didn't think I was going to be able to get him home (stupidly I thought he might calm down if I got off and lead him) but I just had to hang on as I couldn't lose him on the road, we were on a bus route! He was trying to kick me and I've got two big bruises on my arm where he bit me, but today he was lovely again. I did wonder if it was the change in the weather but if it's going to affect him like that he can have the winter off!