Must haves for trailer - security and fun!

Custard Cream

Visit site
Getting our first ever trailer next week, new Ifor 511 (not the brand new version, the one before) and need a list of must haves to make life easy.
We have the tow hitch lock and a wheel lock. I know they are a target for being stolen so any and all security measures will be taken, what else can we do?
Will be stored outside unfortunately so is the cover useful? Seems expensive....is it also a deterrent to being nicked?

Aside from security stuff, what can we do inside to make life easy? I wanted the sliding Haynet bar but was too late to have it put in.

The ideal would be a tack pack too but have read they aren’t good for larger saddles plus they get in the way.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The sliding haynet bars are easy to put in and something I had added after I bought my 506. They are invaluable for getting the horses in and out and for my Connie so he can reach his net while travelling. I looked at a tack pack but decided against one as they are bulky and I have room in the car for everything I need. You can get a water tank that fits on the outside which acts as a shower for sweaty horses but can’t remember what they are called. I always clean my trailer every spring to get the green off it and think the covers are a bit of a waste of money. Keep a sharp knife in front of the trailer in case you need to cut ropes in an emergency and make sure your breast bars and rear bars are the correct way round in case they need to be released using the outside bolts. If travelling one horse always place it on the side behind the driver. It means the weight is on that side of the trailer and not the drop camber side of the road and makes the whole thing more stable. Same if travelling two, the heaviest goes behind the driver.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I always had a caravan type stabiliser for a trailer, instead of a snake you get a little shake and it all evens itself out. It also stops it nosing up and down so much on uneven ground.

Always have means to remove the breast bar in emergency to hand. Plus scissors to cut hay nets in case they get caught up.

tda

Visit site
I had a tack pack and never used it. Agree with others about a knife. Also keep your wheel lock spanner with the Allen key for getting the breast bars out in an accident together

phizz4

Visit site
We don't keep any tack in our trailer, and we have a large, separate, front locker (rear unload Bockmann). Keep the weight in the towing vehicle. The only weight in the locker is a water container (drink at the end of a ride and sponging down), and that could probably go in the car, feed and tack box with horse first aid in it. Small pooper scooper is useful, re-useable zip ties can reapir things, bailer twine, knife as suggested, head torch in the car, one of those extending wheel braces, https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-telescopic-wheel-brace-500mm/13244 usually comes with two sizes of socket so should fit car and trailer (wheel nuts can be done up very tightly by servicing agents), warning traingle, two hi-vis sleeveless vests.

phizz4

Visit site
Have your Post Code put in large lettering on the roof of your trailer so that in the event of it being stolen it can be easily identified. Also have all the glass windows etched with your postcode.
Good idea. I've actually put my mobile number on the roof as it makes for a more rapid communication than my post code (which can cover a large area in some parts of the country).

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have one of those mirrors on the front of my trailer to aid with reversing.

bailing twine tied to your tie up ring to attach the haynet.

I have a Ifor 510 with full length breast/breech bars so I can tack up in the trailer if needed, so I have some little sticky hooks that I can hang things on, i.e. Bridle etc

ive also got a stable mirror up for ‘company’ and one of these screwed at the front for my bits & pieces, fly spray, grooming brushes, hoof pick etc:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stubbs-Uni...le+tidy&qid=1612097512&sr=8-4&tag=googhydr-21

First aid kit in car, means of undoing breast/breech bars.

Equine Services Breakdown Cover.

Bungees galore ?

Violet

Visit site

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
A Cantrack tracker....battery powered and last for 5 years! Brilliant kit and sealed for life.. you can hide it underneath the trailer so the baddies can’t find it....great peace of mind!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Food for thought.
What’s peoples opinions on have decals / phone number / postcode on the trailer?

I have my postcode in big vinyl letters on the roof. Cost me about a tenner on ebay. I didn't want to use paint in case of selling it - hoping that if it was stolen the stickers wouldn't be noticed straight away so might help finding it - or that they would check before towing it and not bother.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Food for thought.
What’s peoples opinions on have decals / phone number / postcode on the trailer?

Get it CESAR registered instead... this is the system invented by Police which is utilised by the Farming and Construction industries... it allows Police and anyone to check its provenance 24/7 and you can register your personal contact numbers against it... so Police checking it can actually ring you up at the roadside to determine it’s legal whereabouts.... Great successes in recovering stolen plant....

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Forget about a cover, they are impossible to put on /take off unless there are two of you. Trying to get them on/off without getting mud on the cover that then transfers to you and or the trailer is incredibly difficult unless you happen to be on clean concrete, its very difficult to do in anything above a breeze and when taken off needs to be stored somewhere where it wont get in the way or get muddy. Plus the last one we had wore through where in the wind it rubbed against the hinges of the upper doors at the rear ramp, where they stick out - I wasnt impressed poorly designed, impractical and not very well thought out.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
If you buy one with traditional bulb lights you might want to think about swapping them for LED lights, they aren't expensive and give ytou piece of mind

Green Bean

Visit site
I think Data Tag is the number one deterrent for thieves as it is stamped into the metal of the tow part and then all those little markers spread around. You register your details with Data Tag so police can check with them on ownership. When you sell your trailer, Data Tag will contact you to confirm change of ownership. Stickers on the roof are good, but only useful if you have a helicopter involved in the search. I have bought 2 trailers and I didn't climb up to look on the roof for either. I suppose if there was dodgy paperwork from the seller, you may be more suspicious and actually look at the roof?
Agree with Lindylouanne - the sliding hay net bar is a good option - I am dreaming about one now but they seem a little expensive for how simple they are - as you are buying a new trailer, it may well come with this already. Thinking of just screwing in a circle hook in one set place on my 511 with a tie option to the front head partition bar to hook it out the way when offloading (my ramp is on the right side of the trailer - presume you wouldn't need to worry for the left handed off load ramp)
Must haves - head partition. Useful if you have a horse who likes its own space or a naughty horse who keeps munching its next door neighbour while travelling with two horses. Spares for most things that may perish unexpectedly. I have bought quite a few things from the Barlows Trailer spares site!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
A caution horse sticker for the back.

046eca155febd15b62e16cdce174633b--trailer-trash-horse-sayings.jpg

Or perhaps something in reflective material, in case you drive in the dark.

CH.TrailerNight.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
Practice releasing the breast /breaching bars from the outside when you get it for two reasons - doing it every so often stops them getting seized and knowing how to do it when you really need to can save time and a lot of stress. Make sure that when you put the bars in the right angled hook is on the trailer wall and the rounded hook on the partition so that if you release it from the outside, the bar will drop - as an experiment, hook the bar in using just the right angled end and you'll see what I mean.

Will you be keeping it at your yard or at home? This sounds awful but if at a yard you need to make it less attractive to take than the others around it so whatever they have, put one more thing on it.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I meant to say I use this camera INSIDE the trailer to monitor horse/horses.
I do NOT use it for reversing.

REVIEW
Intro.

I also got this model as I am a cheapskate and the Trailer-vision ones seem pricey and complicated. It cost £80 off Amazon - and it works a treat! There's another model £20 dearer but the brilliant customer service team in Beijing reply promptly and courteously to any email queries - the camera shape is minimally different (not viewing-angle of image quality) and that's why the price difference. The monitor and performance are exactly the same!

Monitor
The 'wireless' (it has wires but these are for the *power, not to connect into the vehicle in order to work) monitor is colour, on the smaller side but perfectly adequate for use as a trailer cam. There are lots of view options on the menu including, most importantly, the option to turn off the parking guidelines! It is totally plug and play by way of a 12v adaptor with a USB slot included. Modern cars seem to have plenty of these, but for those with only a cigarette lighter thing to power a phone, the thoughtful inclusion of the USB slot is brilliant.

*Power - I read the camera monitor can drain the battery, if the car is a primitive sort like mine and the cigarette port is always live? Just take it out to be on the safe side and I hide it anyway in case thieves mistake it for a satnav.

Camera
The power-pack for the camera tucks away nicely in the spacious interior light of the Cheval Liberté which is positioned at the rear of the trailer. My son connected it up in five minutes and used different connectors as he doesn't like the ones they provide. He also wired it so the interior light can be on or off but the camera is always ready to go. Wires (and they are generous) need to be tidily wrapped and secured (miniature cable ties are included) and the antenna works perfectly in the horizontal position (instructions say needs to be vertical, but I think the height it is installed in a trailer cancels out the need for that). My old Daihatsu has well iffy wiring and there is zero interference.

You need to connect the tow car to the trailer electrics to position the camera before you stick it in position. NOTE Because the camera is affixed to the mount in the opposite orientation to the one you need (it tucks behind the number-plate for its intended use as a reversing/parking aid) simply unscrew the sticky tab and turn it over so the camera still swivels up and down but the image is the right way up. This is dead straightforward.

I'm (not easily) very impressed with it.

I bet it works possibly better in an Ifor Williams as the int. light is handily positioned at the front and you can watch heads not bums, but that's not really a big deal if the light is at the back, like mine is. My CL has the tackroom in so wires would be everywhere.

Note - I do not work for Auto-Vox, I paid full price for it, I have been a member for a long time and I hate paying top dollar for things. I like sharing stuff that really works for less £££!
1624181070778.png

Rubbish image because it's a pic of a pic!

1624181336447.png

Camera had tilted down slightly (so needs locking better in start position) but that's a better representation of clarity.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
REVIEW
Intro.

I also got this model as I am a cheapskate and the Trailer-vision ones seem pricey and complicated. It cost £80 off Amazon - and it works a treat! There's another model £20 dearer but the brilliant customer service team in Beijing reply promptly and courteously to any email queries - the camera shape is minimally different (not viewing-angle of image quality) and that's why the price difference. The monitor and performance are exactly the same!

Monitor
The 'wireless' (it has wires but these are for the *power, not to connect into the vehicle in order to work) monitor is colour, on the smaller side but perfectly adequate for use as a trailer cam. There are lots of view options on the menu including, most importantly, the option to turn off the parking guidelines! It is totally plug and play by way of a 12v adaptor with a USB slot included. Modern cars seem to have plenty of these, but for those with only a cigarette lighter thing to power a phone, the thoughtful inclusion of the USB slot is brilliant.

*Power - I read the camera monitor can drain the battery, if the car is a primitive sort like mine and the cigarette port is always live? Just take it out to be on the safe side and I hide it anyway in case thieves mistake it for a satnav.

Camera
The power-pack for the camera tucks away nicely in the spacious interior light of the Cheval Liberté which is positioned at the rear of the trailer. My son connected it up in five minutes and used different connectors as he doesn't like the ones they provide. He also wired it so the interior light can be on or off but the camera is always ready to go. Wires (and they are generous) need to be tidily wrapped and secured (miniature cable ties are included) and the antenna works perfectly in the horizontal position (instructions say needs to be vertical, but I think the height it is installed in a trailer cancels out the need for that). My old Daihatsu has well iffy wiring and there is zero interference.

You need to connect the tow car to the trailer electrics to position the camera before you stick it in position. NOTE Because the camera is affixed to the mount in the opposite orientation to the one you need (it tucks behind the number-plate for its intended use as a reversing/parking aid) simply unscrew the sticky tab and turn it over so the camera still swivels up and down but the image is the right way up. This is dead straightforward.

I'm (not easily) very impressed with it.

I bet it works possibly better in an Ifor Williams as the int. light is handily positioned at the front and you can watch heads not bums, but that's not really a big deal if the light is at the back, like mine is. My CL has the tackroom in so wires would be everywhere.

Note - I do not work for Auto-Vox, I paid full price for it, I have been a member for a long time and I hate paying top dollar for things. I like sharing stuff that really works for less £££!
View attachment 74199

Rubbish image because it's a pic of a pic!

View attachment 74201

Camera had tilted down slightly (so needs locking better in start position) but that's a better representation of clarity.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...trailer-security-and-fun.800516/post-14652551
Forgot to add - this is the Auto-Vox TD2 model. The other, slightly more expensive but pretty much the same apart from camera shape alone is the CS2. Both will do this job with roller skates on!