Must haves/wants on stable yard

LynH

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to be about to build a small yard and arena at home. We have 6 acres so are putting in 3 stables, tackroom, haybarn/storage and a covered walkway/tying up space as well as a runin barn for when they are out 24/7.
I'm just getting to the detail now so where to put taps, whether to have sink in tackroom, automatic waterers v buckets so I'd love to hear any suggestions on what are must haves on a small yard or any nice touches that you would have that make life a little easier. I have long term health issues so am really keen on any energy saving ideas you may have come across.

muckypony

Visit site
How exciting for you!

I would definitely have hot running water, such a convenience! So a sink with that would be very handy.
I'm not 100% keen on automatic water drinkers, mainly because you can't monitor how much they drink.
I would have a shed or something that had rug hangers to dry wet rugs!
A washing machine is very useful (but if its your house you probably have that covered!)

I can't think of anything else at the moment... But have fun designing!! :)

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I prefer buckets over automatic waters in the stable as you can guage how much they are drinking and any changes.

A sink in the tackroom sounds a great idea :)

I like individual storage space on yards - I have storage partitoned off in my stable, which is so handy.

I would love heated rug racks.

A nice toilet - complete with loo paper, soap and hand towels are always appreciated :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Toilet & wash facility on yard with hot water, it's good to be able to wash hands before leaving the yard. Also a must after toilet use. I wouldn't bother with automatic drinkers, you can't monitor what they are drinking & also horses like to poo in them........... Install taps into your paddocks, water is heavy to carry. Allocate somewhere to hang rugs to dry/air. Use coded locks on rooms etc, they can be changed without cost should a livery leave, keys can be lost & locks are expensive to change.

Put in a bench & table, it's good to be able to sit down, chat or eat a snack. :)

LollyDolly

Visit site
Congratulations!! :D

In an ideal world (if I were you!) I'd like:

-Taps right by the stables so that I'm not hauling water buckets very far!
-Concrete, well drained wash area so that there is no mud or standing water.
-Large water trough in the fields (preferably automatic- if not a source of water very nearby so I'm not hauling it everywhere!)
-Nearish muckheap, in walking distance however not that close that it's right next to your stables or hugely visible.
-A CLEAN (no dust, cobwebs etc.) tack room with kettle, table, chairs, magazines and such.
-Pegs outside each stable to hang headcollars.
-A set aside room for rugs where everyone gets 2 racks each to store their rugs (obviously very close to the stables!) and then some spare racks so that any wet rugs can dry out.
-A well sized and organized feed room.
-A room or area for everyone's hay/haylage.
-Individual lockers as I don't personally like communal tack rooms.
-Individual storage boxes either opposite or inside each stable (depending on the size of the stable) where misc items can be stored so that they don't clutter up the yard.
-Those wall rack things where tools such as shovels, brooms, forks etc. can be stored neatly. One opposite each stable.
-A special room/area for wheelbarrows.
-Arena letters, preferably communal jumps/poles available.
-Obviously well surfaced arena.

I *think* that's everything but I am bound to have missed some things out! :eek:

Obviously this is all an ideal fantasy so I understand that it's not all achievable but a girl can dream! :D

igglepop

Visit site
I agree with what others have said but also a clock, it amazes me how few yards have them and when mucking out i don't really want to touch a phone with dirty hands. If i was bein really picky i would also say field shelter for really hot or bad weather during the day (currently settle for nice trees).

LynH

Visit site
Thanks so much for these suggestions, plenty of ideas I hadn't thought of. Putting taps by each stable rather than auto waterers sounds like a good idea and hot water a must. I currently have a hot wash shower powered by a gas tank as I hate washing horses off with cold water.
I've got field shelters going in too as well as planting trees for natural shade but they will take some time to grow.
I hadn't really thought about wet rug so another good point.
Keep them coming.... I'm guessing that it's better to think of these things now than forever wish I'd put something in that I've forgotten about.
The arena is going in early Nov, thinking of sand and rubber unless anyone has any other suggestions for similar price. Do sand and carpet fibre surfaces freeze?

Starzaan

Visit site
I have a standard electric shower in my wash box, with the shower head attached to a hose rather than the standard short metal jobby. Brilliant water pressure, and hot water all year round.

I also have folding saddle racks outside each box, as that way you don't risk horses chomping on their stirrup leathers while you tack up.

My tools are all up on racks neatly, and I don't think I could live without my washing machine and tumble dryer in the rug room. A large rug room is a must. To get the most out of the space in mine I've used large headcollar hooks all round the walls, and put small wall mounted heaters at the bottom near the floor. That way you can get lots more rugs in, and they dry quickly. I've also put one of those old fashioned wooden drying racks in - the kind that you pull down with a rope and then winch back up out of the way. That is so useful for drying boots and numnahs.

I have a sink with hot water in the tack room, which is a godsend when you're cleaning tack in the depths of winter!

And instead of the plastic haybars I have wooden ones, which can slide out to allow for easy cleaning. Much MUCH easier to manage that the normal plastic ones.

ETA - I know I have a LOT to muck out each day, but I couldn't cope without a trough under the main yard tap. It means I don't have to stand around waiting for buckets to fill, and can just scoop water straight out to fill buckets, then leave the tap running to fill the trough again while I work. I have automatic waterers, but I've turned them off. They're a faff to clean and you have no idea if a horse is drinking or not, unless you spend squillions on super duper technology.

horsemadelsie

Visit site
A hot shower is on my 'want' list! I use a de-humidifier as well as a heater for drying rugs so it doesn't get too damp in there. If I had the money I would buy metal feed bins to keep out the rodents- my jack russell is a must on my yard for keeping numbers down ;)
Make sure you've got somewhere to store arena equipment eg harrow and something to put it- and make sure its not got to go through mud to get to the arena- that was our problem last winter with the place we bought!
And plan somewhere warm-ish to keep any hoses overnight in winter- stops them freezing and saves time.
Agree with the warm water idea, we're planning on having a hot water tap soon, and its great in winter as you can put warm water in the horses buckets to help stop it freezing.
I usually prefer auto waterers as our horses like to tip their buckets over, but they are a pain in the winter unless the pipes are properly covered!

Littlelegs

Visit site
To add to others- an easy access stopcock. When it freezes, you can switch off, drain & avoid frozen pipes, but makes it easy to switch water on for daily jobs. An area with good lighting that's easy to clean for clipping, farrier in bad weather, dressing wounds etc. Plug sockets for kettle, clippers, vets etc. Good drainage & covers which minimise blocking/cleaning. Easy to keep clean, eg gravel drive & overhanging trees look nice, but leaves, hay, straw etc make it time consuming. Muck heap placed so its close as possible & in winter doesn't require wading through knee deep mud.

Starzaan

Visit site
ALSO - buy one of these for the tack room. Look lovely, cost bugger all to run and stop tack going mouldy. Mine is huge, but the small ones kick out lots of heat too. Mine is on 24/7 in the winter, on the lowest setting, and I go through one large gas bottle every six weeks or so.

http://www.provencegasheater.co.uk/

McNally

Visit site
Oh for electric, hot water a toilet.....

Seriously though i would choose decent turn out over any facilities- That would be my main thing.
A lady i work for sometimes has stop taps on every water trough and they are raised with a plug at the bottom (connected to drains- proper luxury!) this is the easiest trough cleaning ive ever come across. Horse walkers are also a god send!

dollymix

Visit site
Wow lucky you :)
I'd live to build my own private yard! I think a sink in the tack/fees room is great idea, especially if you can get hot water (you'll appreciate it in winter!). Electric points for clippers etc
A sand or wood bark 'pen' for winter turnout
A ménage
Buckets (not automatic waterers) - I like to be able to keep track
A water butt collecting rain water is a good idea
If you can put hardcore down in your gateways you'll be much happier in winter
A field shelter
Rug racks

I could go on and on......

dollymix

Visit site
P.s also have a water butt of trough under your tap and keep it full.... Saves sooooo much time when doing your water buckets.
We also have a small white board outside each box so for hols etc, we can write instructions per horse
I'd also concrete as much space as possible..... I hate mud with a passion!!!!

catkin

Visit site
Don't forget good lighting, not just inside buildings also outside - essential in winter and for night stables. If possible to wire in safely, a small bulkhead light in haybarn is really really helpful.

Decent shelving in feed room/tack room at a good height for you - sooo much easier if everything is near at hand when needed!!!

Make sure water supply is well insulated to minimise freezing and rug drying racks are great.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
We built ours 19 years ago and we have 3 stables,feed/tack room, hay barn and a hard standing for vet/farrier visits. We put in automatic water troughs, a god send! We have good lighting and a sink in the feed/tack room which is very handy. The only thing I would change now in hind sight is I would have a tiolet put there, I only have to walk across the yard to the house but I have to TAKE MY BOOTS OFF to go into the house, a pain! Have a toilet put in if you can.