Muuuuuuule!

millikins

Visit site
Can you imagine what the Met would say if they were given a mule? I wonder if anyone will point out the irony of banning carriage horses in NY because it's "cruel" and increasing numbers of ridden equines elsewhere.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Can you imagine what the Met would say if they were given a mule? I wonder if anyone will point out the irony of banning carriage horses in NY because it's "cruel" and increasing numbers of ridden equines elsewhere.

There are certainly some who believe that the consequence of banning the carriage horses IE converting or building houses on the site of their stabling, which just so happens to be in a prime development area, is the true motivation of the ban.

The mule is fab. :D

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
The Houston mounted division has always been quite avant guarde in their approach; the majority of their horses are unshod, and many ridden in halters, so not surprising they were open to the idea of using mules.

The clip really does need to be watched with the sound up, that noise is priceless! Only one of mine screeches like that and I love her even more for it.

Rose Folly

Visit site
My late father served in the mounted infantry in Greece during the First World War. He fell in love with the big American mules which were used as pack animals. He always threatened to get one as he loved their characters and always said "no such thing as a bad mule - just a bad handler". He died without fulfilling his dream. Perhaps I will have to do it instead!

Goldenstar

Visit site

I have to say as a driver the state and care of the NY carriage horses appalled me .
The mule is cute .

millikins

Visit site
I have to say as a driver the state and care of the NY carriage horses appalled me .

But poor welfare should be addressed, doesn't mean that the carriage driving is the issue, I'm inclined to agree with the view that their stabling is high value. But, that mule's gorgeous!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Goldenstar, I think the state of the carriage horses HAS been addressed. According to recent vet and on the ground reports, the horses are in good condition and welfare concerns have been sorted out (and they were the exception rather than the rule anyway).

But as for that mule - it's my life ambition to have a riding mule. I think they are delightful.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I go to New York fairly often
The horses shoeing is terrible
They look completely miserable and dispirited
They are often slight tb types pulling far too much wieght
Last time I was there several looked bilaterally lame which given the shoes seemed likely
Ghastly