Muzzle advice sought

vannersrus

Visit site
So I currently have two ponies , one a cob who is capable of living out 24/7 but is currently stabled at night and a 12 hh pony who had laminitis in the past . He is muzzled for all turnout but stabled on soaked hay overnight.
I have recently suffered a back injury and am looking at ways to reduce my workload- the cob I know could manage out / it is a large 7 acre field with natural shelter.
Would it be feasible do you think for the pony to wear a muzzle for 14/15 hours in the big field and then have it removed and spend some time in a small partitioned part of the field on soaked hay .
I guess I’m questioning how Long it is reasonable to be in a muzzle when she currently only wears it for 10 hours maximum ?
Thanks in advance!

emilylou

Visit site
Could you leave her out 24/7 in a small bare patch of field muzzle free? Then feed soaked hay from the field. It's winter so grass wont be growing much and if you used your other horse to graze down the area initially so he never has much grass. I dont think 14-15hrs a day in a muzzle would be very fair

vannersrus

Visit site
Could you leave her out 24/7 in a small bare patch of field muzzle free? Then feed soaked hay from the field. It's winter so grass wont be growing much and if you used your other horse to graze down the area initially so he never has much grass. I dont think 14-15hrs a day in a muzzle would be very fair

Possibly- only problem is we are on clay so the patch would become a quagmire quite quickly . I’ve always liked him to have plenty of exercise up and down the field too as apart from the odd lead rein he is more of a companion now.

pixie

Visit site
Mine wears a muzzle 24/7 over the summer months. Its the only way to keep him slim and allow him to get enough movement. he is happy in himself. The vet and farrier always comment on how good he looks weight-wise.

Widgeon

Visit site
Mine wore a Thinline grazing muzzle 24/7 over the autumn until a couple of weeks ago (ours live out all the time). I used a hole punch to expand the factory made hole to 4cm diameter, and the only problem was rubbing on his nose which I fixed with a sheepy pad. It must have been fairly comfortable as he wasn't bothered by it and didn't ever try to get it off. I was quite horrified at the £70 price tag but I have to say it's been great.

w1bbler

Visit site
I did a few years ago muzzle one 24/7 (ish)
Swapped muzzles morning & evening & gave her a feed - low cal chaff & speedibeet at each muzzle change. She looked fab, but i did feel guilty constantly. The alternative was stable on her own which she hated.

vannersrus

Visit site
I did a few years ago muzzle one 24/7 (ish)
Swapped muzzles morning & evening & gave her a feed - low cal chaff & speedibeet at each muzzle change. She looked fab, but i did feel guilty constantly. The alternative was stable on her own which she hated.
It’s so difficult trying to meet all their needs isn’t it ?
He would happily stable alone but that would mean friend would not have any turnout either. Also at least till my backs mended I’d like to avoid mucking out if at all possible