Muzzle at night Yes or No ?

mums the groom

Visit site
I am going to be putting my Section B out at night and in during the day for the summer. He's has had Lami and has soaked hay in his stable. he is now at the correct wieght and he currently goes out during the day 7am onwards in a muzzle. Due to other horse having pollen allergy and flies we are turning them out at night now in theory is should be no difference but i feel cruel not letting him be muzzle free at night as the sugars in the grass aren't as bad at night. I don't wont him to get lami again (or fat) but never had the chance to put out overnight, BTW he will be brought in about 7-8am in the morning.

Shay

Visit site
Depends on how much grass you have, where you are and what the weather is. Personally I would lean toward a muzzle regardless because the impact of getting Lami again is so serious. But like you I would hate to turn out unsupervised in case he got caught up on something and there was no-one to see and help.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
A muzzle sounds sensible - make sure you buy one with a few release points to avoid him getting stuck. You can always stop using it if you don't need it...

atropa

Visit site
I would muzzle at night yes. It's what I plan to do with mine when I move them at the weekend. You don't want to undo all your hard work getting weight off him, and the risk of laminitis outweighs feeling bad imo. I always take loads of flack for muzzling my older mare from other owners who say I'm cruel and that my horse hates me, I just ignore it because they haven't been the ones nursing her back to health and paying the vet bills from past grass-related incidents.
Cruel to be kind as they say. In my experience, most muzzles are relatively easy for the horse to get out of if they're going to get caught on something.

eggs

Visit site
My Dutch wb is in during the day and out at night. He wears a muzzle overnight with no issues.

holeymoley

Visit site
I muzzle at night no problem. Just ensure it's a good fit and doesn't rub as they're usually out a bit longer overnight.

Equi

Visit site
Personally no, because noone can randomly spot them if there is an issue. Im not a fan of leaving anything on their head that doesnt come off really easily (and if it comes off really easily its not much of a useful grazing muzzle then)

RubysGold

Visit site
My horse goes out at night with his muzzle on, he needs to lose weight so I can't leave it off him.
It has quick release in case he gets caught, but he's always been ok day or night, so I don't worry