Muzzle issues

Yogi Bear

Visit site
I have 2 natives, 1 ridden and 1 companion pony. I have been starting to introduce muzzles as I have a bit of grass so they need restricting. I prefer just letting them on it with muzzles as I do find they don't get much movement when you strip graze as they are only ever on the short band of grass. They have been out eating down what will become the fat paddock and have been out overnight and muzzled in the day. Each day when muzzles go on, there is 20 mins of trying to rub them off on each other a few tantrums and then all settles, but not today!!
We have had 2 attempts both resorting in sweating ponies where they are aggravating each other trying to bite and rub the muzzles off.
They have eaten down a faIt bit of the paddock they are in now and I do wonder if the issue is that the grass is too short or because they aren't muzzled overnight perhaps they aren't hungry. Has anyone faced a similar issue?
I don't really want to separate them or strip graze, but if they won't settle its one or the other.
Any advice greatly appreciated

frostyfingers

Visit site
I'm not sure what the answer is here, I've just started using one on my 11hh companion pony. He spent all last summer on very restricted grazing which stressed him out to the point he started eating the fence posts from the bottom up (like a beaver!) so thought I'd do something differently. He has the muzzle on when he's out in a large field from about 5pm until 8am in the morning, then he's in on the yard with access to hay during the day (plus a little Safe & Sound to keep him ticking over) and so far it's working fine.

He's removed the muzzle a few times now but generally seems happy with it and is eating busily all the time he's out. Can you separate by electric fence for a couple of days and see if they settle that way? Or perhaps separate when muzzles are on and put together when they're off?

Yogi Bear

Visit site
Yes.. I think I will have to start separating initially when the muzzles go on! How frustrating.
They seemed to be doing ok with them on.
They do test is don't they!!