Muzzle padding...what do you use?

Summer pudding

Visit site
In desperation I'm padding my pony's Best Friend muzzle (which attaches to the headcollar)....with some old vet bedding. Unpadded the muzzle rubs under the chin and across the nose, and the head collar was rubbing his face and nose. I had used fleece but found this got sodden and made him more sore, hence the vet bedding. I've tried the Shires de Luxe (fluffy) with a head collar over the top but he gets it off. Everyone else in the yard is using muzzles of one sort or another, but they or the headcollar rubs somewhere - what do you do? I'm thinking of trying the Greenguard..but it is very expensive, and looks as if the grass intake wouldn't be that restricted for a determined pony! I think an improved muzzle design is needed perhaps - sorry I know this one has been done to death but we've got so much grass and strip grazing etc is not an option - btw he's out at night only.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have used bucket type ones before and found they rubbed, and the ponies could get them off. I am a Dinky Muzzle convert (and can often be found singing their praises on here). No rubs, ever, and they stay on. One of ours is muzzled Feb - November and doesn't seem to mind her muzzle at all. It's lightweight, padded and seems to be comfortable. She's currently out at night, muzzled. The downside is that they don't last more than a season before they need replacing (gradually the webbing gets grazed).

Summer pudding

Visit site
I have used bucket type ones before and found they rubbed, and the ponies could get them off. I am a Dinky Muzzle convert (and can often be found singing their praises on here). No rubs, ever, and they stay on. One of ours is muzzled Feb - November and doesn't seem to mind her muzzle at all. It's lightweight, padded and seems to be comfortable. She's currently out at night, muzzled. The downside is that they don't last more than a season before they need replacing (gradually the webbing gets grazed).
Thank you for your speedy and helpful reply..I hadn't considered the Dinky as the 'mouth' bit looks strange, but your endorsement has made me re-think. He's 14.3 and cob sized...any idea what size muzzle he would need?

Palindrome

Visit site
I have tried the dinky muzzle, greenguard, shires deluxe (with white fluff) and Shires/Aerborn lined with girth like material.

The only one that didn't rub is the Shires/Aerborn with girth like material. I cut the headcollar part and attach it to a soft cotton field headcollar as those don't tend to move and they have black elastic rings instead of metal rings (the metal rings tend to rub along the jaw line).

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Thank you for your speedy and helpful reply..I hadn't considered the Dinky as the 'mouth' bit looks strange, but your endorsement has made me re-think. He's 14.3 and cob sized...any idea what size muzzle he would need?

I would ring Tack and Turnout for advice.
Ours is an 11.2 Welsh part bred type who takes a small pony/pony headcollar, and she is in a Medium. It would fit a bigger pony but I think the Small would be too small.

Yep the mouth looks strange but it works! :)

Summer pudding

Visit site
I have the best friends muzzle the have a heart one.

You can buy also sort of padding to go on the muzzles and headcollars see link below
http://www.charliesproducts.co.uk/115-muzzle-accessories-

Thank you very..how do you get on with the Heart muzzle? Does it stay on? I looked at the padding for the my Best Friend muzzle and I would need 2 pieces - approx £45...plus I've already had to pad the headcollar it's attached too... It does look as if other people have the same problem too.

ponydi

Visit site
I used a Shires which rubbed my thin-skinned TBx. Fixed it by running duck tape round the inside of the muzzle to make it smooth

Hetsmum

Visit site
I use the shires delux one and he can't get it off. Adjust so the throat lash is high up by making cheek pieces lower down. I pad with sheepskin noseband cut up. If you use real sheepskin it does not get so wet and sodden rather than fake stuff. I pick them up second hand pretty cheap.... :)

wiz07

Visit site
I'm thinking of trying the Greenguard..but it is very expensive, and looks as if the grass intake wouldn't be that restricted for a determined pony!

This ^^^^^^

I bought a green guard and it has had no effec on my pony at all - It does not restric the intake whatso ever.... I havent found a solution the muzzle rubbing and there fore have opted for hard standing turn out during day with hay net and stabling at night.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I use the shires delux one and he can't get it off. Adjust so the throat lash is high up by making cheek pieces lower down. I pad with sheepskin noseband cut up. If you use real sheepskin it does not get so wet and sodden rather than fake stuff. I pick them up second hand pretty cheap.... :)
Thanks...where do you need the padding? I found sheepskin very stiff to sew so have used fluffy vet bed, which I'm hoping will wick the damp, and is easy to sew - won't be as robust as sheepskin though. Where do you pick up sheepskin? I amazes me that so many people have this problem.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I'm thinking of trying the Greenguard..but it is very expensive, and looks as if the grass intake wouldn't be that restricted for a determined pony!

This ^^^^^^

I bought a green guard and it has had no effec on my pony at all - It does not restric the intake whatso ever.... I havent found a solution the muzzle rubbing and there fore have opted for hard standing turn out during day with hay net and stabling at night.
Thanks, you've confirmed my thinking, oh dear. Your solution sounds very drastic and it's amazing there isn't a muzzle out there that works and is comfortable isn't it? JHL do a Comfort Muzzle which has a bit of padding under the chin, and there are loads of padding products available. My pony does keep the Best Friend muzzle on, it's just the rubbing that I'm having to work on!

wiz07

Visit site
Thanks, you've confirmed my thinking, oh dear. Your solution sounds very drastic and it's amazing there isn't a muzzle out there that works and is comfortable isn't it? JHL do a Comfort Muzzle which has a bit of padding under the chin, and there are loads of padding products available. My pony does keep the Best Friend muzzle on, it's just the rubbing that I'm having to work on!

It may sound drastic but I am not allowed to put up a fat camp in my feild as the farmer wont allow any other form of fencing be it electric or post and rail in the feild! Very annoying - but he is in company with my shetalnd and can see my big horses over the feild - they have 60x40 to walk about on with access to three open stables for shade shelter and a deep bed for a lay down.... He wont keep any muzzle on and would rather try and hang homself getting them off on what ever he can get to - so its the safests option - i dont fancy fiding an eyeball stuck on a twig somewhere! and yes the rubbing ais a nightmare- whey cant some one design an effective comforatbale muzzle! :(

Summer pudding

Visit site
wiz07...I feel your pain...and so understand your reasons...we have a similar set up at our yard. I was talking to feed rep - she goes from yard to yard weighing horses, and talking to owners - so many had put on weight in spite of muzzling and increased workload. She has her own fatties so understands our problems with muzzles. I'm hoping this might feed back to the manufacturers/designers.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Dinky muzzles don't rub but am not convinced are effective as the bucket muzzles that are said to restrict to 70%. I have mine muzzled from 6pm - 9am then in during day with a small haynet. She's still well covered but at least not huge.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks...where do you need the padding? I found sheepskin very stiff to sew so have used fluffy vet bed, which I'm hoping will wick the damp, and is easy to sew - won't be as robust as sheepskin though. Where do you pick up sheepskin? I amazes me that so many people have this problem.

maybe some nuumed type backed wool?

Have to say I am fine with the shires deluxe, the only extra wrapping is some fleece on the throat latch-bucket attachment at the back as this moves a lot. I also don't use the cushioning on the headpiece as that makes it easier to slip over ears ;).

OliveOyl

Visit site
My pony had the Shires muzzle and had to have it on tight to keep it on him. I padded it with gamgee, which I then taped over the top with electrical insulation tape (the stuff used to re-seal cables) to make it smooth and keep the rain off it. Worked really well for him, as he had it soft from the cotton wool in the gamgee, yet was a smooth, pretty much waterproof pad for him to live out with. The only part of the muzzle he needed padded, was the trigger clip part, where the throatlash was.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I didn't like greenguards, don't like dinky's (makes them eat sideways although they are nice and light) so have stuck to bucket muzzles. The best ones are a US make if you can find them (tough-1) otherwise, duct tape or neoprene handlebar grips cut up and superglued on-they don't hold water and don't seem to rub.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I didn't like greenguards, don't like dinky's (makes them eat sideways although they are nice and light) so have stuck to bucket muzzles. The best ones are a US make if you can find them (tough-1) otherwise, duct tape or neoprene handlebar grips cut up and superglued on-they don't hold water and don't seem to rub.
The Easy Breath by Tough-1 looks interesting and is available in UK (£36 approx) - thanks for info, has anyone else tried it and does it stay on? Very ingeneous use of handlebar grips!

Summer pudding

Visit site
maybe some nuumed type backed wool?

Have to say I am fine with the shires deluxe, the only extra wrapping is some fleece on the throat latch-bucket attachment at the back as this moves a lot. I also don't use the cushioning on the headpiece as that makes it easier to slip over ears ;).

Yup it's nuumed I've used for my DIY padding - do you put a headcollar over the Shires de luxe?

supsup

Visit site
Have you tried smooth instead of fluffy/padded? Rubbing is usually due to friction. I've had good success using duct tape to create a smooth surface, and a dab of Lanacare anti-chafing gel. That said, I used it on my greenguard in the chin area, not over the nose (fluffy piece worked there to prevent rubs). I found the greenguard quite effective at limiting intake, but my horse is now starting to show wear marks on his teeth from use, so I'm back to making small corners/paddocks for him.

ester

Visit site
Yup it's nuumed I've used for my DIY padding - do you put a headcollar over the Shires de luxe?
Nope, a fly mask ATM tho as there is a lot of grass if he did get it off and it stops him managing to the rub grass into the Velcro - though I have just bought a 2nd one so I don't worry about them drying when wet and didn't throw the little rubber keepers away like I did last time!

The Jakenator

Visit site
I've just brought the tough 1 grazing muzzle, this is the 3rd muzzle I've tried, he has taken to it really well, no rubbing, he can breathe and he hasn't got it off! I don't feel guilty about putting this one on. It gets my vote.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I've just brought the tough 1 grazing muzzle, this is the 3rd muzzle I've tried, he has taken to it really well, no rubbing, he can breathe and he hasn't got it off! I don't feel guilty about putting this one on. It gets my vote.

Great news....do you put a headcollar over the top?

The Jakenator

Visit site
I haven't no, watched him roll in it, it stayed on, someone told me he was trying to get it off earlier but it was still on when i went up. He ripped the dinky one completely apart

Mystified

Visit site
I have tried using one of the shires grazing bucket muzzles which I padded with gamgee and wrapped with duct tape to help stop it rubbing. This was successful however the pressure of her constantly pushing against the webbing grazing caused a massive swelling on the bridge of her nose so had to stop using it. Took over a week for the swelling to go down. Also she didn't lose weight she gained weight! So have now reverted back to a starvation paddock and soaked hay and she is fine. Its a shame that she can't be out with my mare but I just make sure that she has my mare or gelding next to her or in sight for companionship.

SO1

Visit site
It does tend to stay on but it is on tight and I have the throat lash in the throat grove - and I have tried a lot of other brands of muzzles as my pony is very good at getting them off. It did rub near his eyes though so I chopped off the thin strap that was on the nose bit that makes it extra secure it was too near his eyes. The nose is expandable which makes it more roomy in that area.

Thank you very..how do you get on with the Heart muzzle? Does it stay on? I looked at the padding for the my Best Friend muzzle and I would need 2 pieces - approx £45...plus I've already had to pad the headcollar it's attached too... It does look as if other people have the same problem too.

ester

Visit site
I have tried using one of the shires grazing bucket muzzles which I padded with gamgee and wrapped with duct tape to help stop it rubbing. This was successful however the pressure of her constantly pushing against the webbing grazing caused a massive swelling on the bridge of her nose so had to stop using it. Took over a week for the swelling to go down. Also she didn't lose weight she gained weight! So have now reverted back to a starvation paddock and soaked hay and she is fine. Its a shame that she can't be out with my mare but I just make sure that she has my mare or gelding next to her or in sight for companionship.

See Frank doesn't push against the webbing- the bucket on the deluxe one he has is really quite large and loose-he'd have to be opening is mouth very wide, and well padded on it's own.