Muzzles

dianchi

Visit site
So after 16 years of Skinny TB that I am constantly feeding, her 4yo daughter is a Hippo.

Due to my work and her outgrowing all my saddles she has ended up with a month off and looks like a hippo- I wont even post a pic i'm so shocked with her weight!
(she probably looks just chubby but i'm used to my supermodel thin TB)

Plus they haven't even hit the "good" grazing yet- and field looks bare to my eyes- although this rain will make it reappear no doubt.

I am bringing her in for 10 hours a day with a trickle net, but I think I'm gonna need to muzzle her onto the new "summer" field when we swap over.

Recommendations for weight management for Fatties?! Good muzzles? Ones to avoid?

Argh theres me thinking a skinny pin pony is a PITA and now i have this! :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I've had the same issue this summer and have resorted to a greenguard muzzle. They can still get a reasonable flow of grass but stops them wolfing it down.
The new style has a deeper tray and stays on better than the old style. The proper headcollar with a strap down the middle is better than using a nornmal one.

Sprig

Visit site
I liked my Shires muzzle. I have always found that when they first start wearing any muzzle they will inevitably get rubs. I just keep a pot of Vaseline to hand and any time I spot the first sign of a rub I put some Vaseline on the area. I find that after a week or so things settle down and the Vaseline is no longer needed. I have never had sore patches of skin using this method.

godfreyy

Visit site
I second the Green Guard muzzle. My Welsh D gets fat on thin air, but the Green Guard really helps to keep her weight down and still allows her to eat a reasonable amount of grass.

pixie

Visit site
I love the dinky rugs one for comfort, but if she is the sort to try and get it off, then a shires deluxe with the mane plaited round the headpiece (the velcro of the dinky rugs is short, so breaks apart easily if they try removing it!).

Bernster

Visit site
I liked my Shires muzzle. I have always found that when they first start wearing any muzzle they will inevitably get rubs. I just keep a pot of Vaseline to hand and any time I spot the first sign of a rub I put some Vaseline on the area. I find that after a week or so things settle down and the Vaseline is no longer needed. I have never had sore patches of skin using this method.

Oh that's a good tip. I have the shires one with me now, as I am about to try and attach some sheepskin as its rubbed on both my two. If my handiwork isn't good enough, may just try the Vaseline instead, much easier ! Wasn't sure if the ribs were just cos it's too small, are they supposed to have a lot of clear room around the nose?

dianchi

Visit site
She has got fly masks off this year and her mane is so thin im reluctant to lose more of it by her pulling mane out rubbing it off.

Equally tho i worry about them getting caught on fences/trees whatever else a 4yo can get her nose in!

Whats safe for the field and for the waist line??

dianchi

Visit site
Actually re-read on the shires fluffy ones and see they are field safe so ordered!
Got use that amazon prime next day deliveries for something!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ditto the shires deluxe, I have had to add a little bit more fluff under the chin but otherwise they are fab :D

Don't cut the rubber keepers off thinking they are for packaging either ;).

alternatively I am a big fan of having them on a track so they keep moving.

dianchi

Visit site
Sadly we are on livery so track is not an option as much as i would like one we cant keep the ragwort out the "managed" field so lets not ask for miracles!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I have the shires sheepskin - it doesn't rub but the hole was in a bit of a strange place and my youngster (despite quickly clocking onto the idea) just couldn't any grass through the hole as it was up by his nose. I've made it into a d-shape and he's getting there in figuring out how to get grass through, and that's after leaving him alone for half a day to figure out etc.

Boulty

Visit site
I really like the dinky rugs one. Used it at the end of last summer and I've been using this year since May. In that time it's only come off once and a few well velcroed bits of fleece soon sort any rub points (mainly where the 2 straps on it meet tbh)... They do only seem to have a shelf life of about 3 months until they're trashed at the bottom though (worn for 12-14 hrs at a time mind you) but at £20 a pop they're not wildly expensive