MUZZLES!

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
I need to muzzle my cob before he bursts.... But he is a bit of a houdini and can escape from all the ones Ive tried.... I was saving the Greenguard til last, knowing that this was allegedly the only one that horses can't remove.... To be extra sure I put a headcollar on over the muzzle. It took precisely one minute 35 seconds before he managed to escape it and was wandering the field with the plastic muzzle under his chin and the headcollar still intact!!!

Melandmary

Visit site
Oh dear, feel your pain as 1 of mine has been taking hers off everyday. My flexible filly ones finally turned up but tbh I am not that impressed. It came off quite easily (have tightened the head collar since) but my mare is eating quite alot out of the sides ?. I will monitor her weight over the next week and if she puts any on I will be going back to the shires Comfort one

SO1

Visit site
I have the best friend have a heart grazing muzzle. He still gets it off sometimes but the key is to get the throat lash in the throat grove and really tight. This does result in some rubbing but I have put soft fleece around all areas that rub.

I have thought about buying the flexible filly one but I think you would need a tight headcollar otherwise you just get the same problem with it coming off.

Melandmary

Visit site
I bought the flexible filly headcolar that goes with it. The head piece has buckles each side so I have gone 1 hole higher either side and took the neoprene off another muzzle to protect her poll but I wouldn't want it any tighter. I do think the side gaps are too wide on these. They would be better with having a bigger hole which is ridiculously small and addressing the side gap. As it is I have no intention of making the whole bigger because she gets way too much from the side. Has anyone else found this? She still has 30kg to lose

SO1

Visit site
It is so hard isn't it the grass has been growing like crazy and even the grass in diet field which my pony shares with another dieter has now grown so from bare to loads within a few months and both ponies are now muzzled. My pony is exercised 7 days a week and on soaked hay. Apparently the sugar content in the grass is around 20% at the moment.

Thank goodness there is the muzzle option so they can at least spend most of the day in the field.

popletaa

Visit site
Did he escape out of the corner of the greenguard? Mine did this, I had to tie baling twine at each corner of the muzzle so she couldn't push her nose through, and it worked. Greenguard have a video here about how to do this. Mine also pushes the whole thing off over her ears, so I have to plait it in, but you can get throat latch straps that prevent that I think.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I bought the flexible filly headcolar that goes with it. The head piece has buckles each side so I have gone 1 hole higher either side and took the neoprene off another muzzle to protect her poll but I wouldn't want it any tighter. I do think the side gaps are too wide on these. They would be better with having a bigger hole which is ridiculously small and addressing the side gap. As it is I have no intention of making the whole bigger because she gets way too much from the side. Has anyone else found this? She still has 30kg to lose
You need to plait the forelock into the top of her mane over the top of the head strap on the FF, if you do 2 or 3 plaits then that stops them getting it off that way without having to overtighten the head strap.

If she’s able to eat out of the side that easily then I’d double check the fit by sending photos to Thinline, it might need a few tweaks.

Melandmary

Visit site
I am going to take photos tomorrow because I was going to ask for a refund. I followed the instruction video and the muzzle is touching her nostrils as it is. I did ask for advice on the Web chat twice which was acknowledged by email on both occasions but never did receive a reply so I bought the draught size one. They might suggest the cob/horse size but she is in an extra full size in the shires.... She has a big face. I know she is stuffing her face because she is doing an extra 4 droppings in her 12 hr turnout and her feet were warm when she came in yesterday. I daren't take the risk with it. She was desperate to be brought in tonight. Hopefully, they can suggest something because I would prefer her to wear the softer one. Someone else suggested putting the sides up one hole but I am not sure that will solve the problem enough ?