Muzzling overnight?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Does any do this? How safe is it?

My boy at 23 is now going out for about 19 hours a day for the first time ever as I’ve never been on a yard that allowed overnight turnout but Yard policy has recently changed. He absolutely loves it but has ballooned as a result and he hasn’t even moved off his winter paddock!

I think I’m going to have to muzzle but worried about catching on something. Also I’m not whether to try a green guard as I tried a Shires deluxe and it rubbed him raw in a day :( a though it may have been too big.

Other suggestions welcome. :)

acw295

Visit site
Mine is out at night muzzled, in by day.

I think they are perfectly safe - the standard ones are only attached by velcro so come off easily. Too easily tbh.

It is trial and error with fit but they will all rub to start with - just slap sudocreme on liberally and it soon heals over and the skin toughens up - I know that might sound a bit harsh but a slightly rubbed face is better than crippled with laminitis so in our case it is needs must.

I use the Best Friends standard muzzle attached to a leather headcollar and then with her mane vet wrapped to it (as mine is adept at muzzle removal). I can't use the Shires or Greenguard type as pony gets them off in seconds. Mine is 14.2hh and cob sized for everything but needs a full sized muzzle - you need to make sure there is an inch at the bottom between muzzle base and mouth to they can move it about to get the grass.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Mine are muzzled 24/7 - needs must. To be honest they just gorge if you take them off which negates the point of using them in the first place. I've never had a case of them getting caught but there are Velcro releases so if they tugged really hard they would give. I tried a greenguard on my old boy and unfortunately we couldn't keep it on him.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine are muzzled 24/7 - needs must. To be honest they just gorge if you take them off which negates the point of using them in the first place. I've never had a case of them getting caught but there are Velcro releases so if they tugged really hard they would give. I tried a greenguard on my old boy and unfortunately we couldn't keep it on him.

I sent my muzzle back, didnt even open the packaging after I read they should be on for no more than 12 hours a day and I'm not bringing in so there was no point in her having one when she would just gorge for the other 12 hours! Interesting that you muzzle 24 hours a day.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've only ever muzzled in the day where there's a chance of someone spotting trouble if it were to arise.

skint1

Visit site
Mine is currently coming in by day and out without a muzzle at night, but when he needs it I use "Horse's Choice" grazing muzzle with some fleece padding around his poll. It hasn't rubbed him as badly as other muzzles, and as has already been said, beats laminitis any day.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've only ever muzzled in the day where there's a chance of someone spotting trouble if it were to arise.

That’s my fear but it would have to be at night unless I reverted back to day time only turn-out. I can’t see him willingly having a muzzle put on after a night without.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Yes that’s the problem it doesn’t seem much point using one if they then make up for it when you remove it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Has anyone tried a Shires flexi-grazer?

Getting it off maybe a problem, he’s got small ears as it is and his bridle has literally fallen off when I’ve been riding :eek:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I sent my muzzle back, didnt even open the packaging after I read they should be on for no more than 12 hours a day and I'm not bringing in so there was no point in her having one when she would just gorge for the other 12 hours! Interesting that you muzzle 24 hours a day.

I know many who do - it's a far better outcome than lami. Mine have multiple release points so I don't worry too much about them getting caught.

eggs

Visit site
Mine are in during the day and out at night. I have never had a problem with putting the muzzle on when they are out at night and there are plenty of hedges, etc that it could catch on.

scats

Visit site
Diva and I had a muzzle battle the other day. I gave up on it last year, because 4 seconds on her face seemed rather pointless.

Did some faffing about with gorilla tape and put it on. 14 seconds after being turned out and it was off. I took it away for ten minutes and did some modifications to it- it involved bake string and a headcollar. Put it back on and watched in horror as she tried so violently to remove it that she had no problem kicking herself in the back of the jaw. Chased her on a bit and growled at her, 15 seconds later, it was off, albeit stuck in her mouth. Put it back on, she ran straight to the fence and hooked it on... then pulled all my fencing down. Muzzle ended up hanging off her face. I gave up. I wouldn’t have trusted her enough to leave her anyway.

That was an easy breathe muzzle.

Dinky muzzle on the way, but I don’t hold out much hope.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
My pony's currently wearing his dinky muzzle 24/7 after moving to a new field. Its not ideal but as others have said, better than lami again. It is field safe so not too worried about that.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Mine wear muzzles 24/7, have done for years without incident (other than the unmuzzled ones learning how to take it off their friends!)
I can't see 12 hours on / 12 hours off would really limit intake enough when the grass is really in full swing.

A lovely track system would be the ideal solution but not practical / available to many so a 24/7 muzzle is the least worst option IMHO.

RubysGold

Visit site
My horse goes out from about 5pm to 9am with his muzzle on. And then he stands in his stable through the day.
I just use the shires type, he tends to roll around on the floor trying to get it off but when that fails he just gets on with it