My 12yr old bombproof cob threw my friend off

Wightman

Visit site
Everybody has given you good advice but you need to have a plan and I have that.
1. Finish the GCSEs : don't risk an injury during exam time. Assuming you mean that you are taking the exams this month, this year.
2. Celebrate by going out a couple of times : to a riding school. This will boost your knowledge and confidence in yourself. It will do you good to ride a horse again that is not your own. Have a lesson with some others so that you are not in the spotlight all the time.
3. Whenever you have some time groom and tack up your horse. Take it out for a walk in hand or something, then build up to getting on her, but get off immediately. Again confidence boosting.
4. At some point later you will feel the urge to ride her properly, so do so. As others have said, follow a horse fitness programme I.e. walks only, then some trotting, and only finally adding in cantering. Be realistic about your aims and the frequency too, 5 times a week over the summer may be too many for you, but 3?Maybe?
Many of the posters on here, me included, never just school. We hack and use the local countryside to work with ours and the horse's education I.e. turning on the fore hand we practise by opening and closing gates, jumping fallen logs in the woods etc. I always find an uphill path to canter up too, as bucking is muuuch harder for the horse then.
In this case the education is yours, if you fail , do something you can both do, so that you end up feeling successful.
You have the summer in front of you, both of you need to enjoy it.
Thank you so much for that it's what I needed to hear!! Riding another horse will definitelyget my confidence up. Thus is the answer I wanted! ☺
Thanks again sunnyone

Smogul

Visit site
Sorry but I completely disagree. If a horse is used to regular work and then suddenly is left for months I would think most horses would have a bit more energy and be more on their toes than normal. I don't think it matters how established they are. As I said in my previous post my little gelding is as quiet as a lamb normally but has been more on his toes after time off and being fed on good food. I would think it only natural he would be more energetic tbh :/

Why can't you accept that every horse is different? When I bought my present pony, he hadn't been driven for 3 months, having been competition fit. Seller harnessed up, put him in the carriage and off he went as quietly as if he was driven every day. He can still be left for any period of time without it affecting his behaviour.

Previous horse was allowed 2 minutes cavorting on the lunge before being expected to calm down and work sensibly.

Wightman

Visit site
Why can't you accept that every horse is different? When I bought my present pony, he hadn't been driven for 3 months, having been competition fit. Seller harnessed up, put him in the carriage and off he went as quietly as if he was driven every day. He can still be left for any period of time without it affecting his behaviour.

Previous horse was allowed 2 minutes cavorting on the lunge before being expected to calm down and work sensibly.

Wow what type is he?

madlady

Visit site
It might also be an idea for you to get some books on horse care/management.

The ones used for the BHS stages might be useful, it might also be an idea to contact a local RS and ask if they run a basic horse management course - there is much more to horses than riding and while forums can be very useful it's nothing like being able to talk to someone face to face.

Don't worry about riding for now - there are lots of other things that you can do - walks in hand, groundwork (if you are unsure about what you can do for groundwork then a copy of the book Perfect Manners by Kelly Marks will help) even just going spending time and grooming.

If you aren't able to excercise her regularly at the moment though then do be aware that of that when you do ride. She won't be fit and therefore won't be up to doing 'hard' work (lots of trotting and cantering and tight circles) as she won't have the muscle necessary for it. Gentle hacks at walk with bits of trot would be fine though.

Good luck :)

Wightman

Visit site
Ok madlady I will endeavour to do so I have the yellow book of horse management by the BHS which is really good! I suppose I was close to failing as I wasn't confident.

Wightman

Visit site
Yes she is a cob and has a brilliant temperament! Will stand eating hay although she can be a bit pushy before hand but waits when I open the gate.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
We recently moved to a house where I have some land now, in the area we are surrounded by experienced people who own horses, with brilliant hacking. She lives out 24/7, my neighbour thinks she is a lovely horse but just needs some work( she has two slightly scary warm bloods) so I think I shall talk to her.

Personally as you're inexperienced and busy with exams, I really think you should consider keeping the mare at livery. Working livery at a good riding school might work well. She will be worked regularly and you can then have lots of lessons on her, learn about stable management and so on, in a safe environment.

Leitrim

Visit site
Walking out in hand is useful (I think) to help you realise how well-mannered the horse is, i.e. concentrating on you, walking shoulder to shoulder, not crowding you, not trying to stop to graze, responding to woahs, walk on and trot on ... and for you to work out what tone of voice the horse responds to so that you have these commands to back up whatever you say to the horse with your legs / seat/ reins when ridden. Additionally you can start to try to interpret the body language the horse displays when calm, anxious, alert, frightened and needing reassurance etc. and this will be very useful for when you get on her. Obviously you will also learn to recognise the things that are likely to make her nervous such as darkish places between hedges and trees, flapping washing, cows, grit bins, muck-spreaders, birds that shoot out of undergrowth - the list is endless but if you know in advance what makes her unsettled you will be able to plan when to really relax (so that she feels YOU are calm) and ride her on past the potential 'danger' spots.
So walking in hand, in my opinion, offers all these benefits as well as contributing a little to the horse's overall fitness. It's quite enjoyable too in nice weather.

Equine_Dream

Visit site

The fact that every horse is different is the point I'm trying to make. Calm down dear :p just as you are trying to point out that not every horse will have issues after time off work I am simply trying to point out that just because a horse is established doesn't automatically mean even the most quiet pony won't be a bit on its toes after time off. Doesn'the necessarily matter how established the horse or how quiet a temperament a horse has. As you say every horse is different.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Visit site
Hi OP, just want to say good luck in your exams!

Now, as for your horse, it sounds like you are quite a nervous and inexperienced rider. If possible, I would try and find an instructor to teach you and your horse in lessons, as well as possibly finding a good riding school and being able to have a few lessons on a steady schoolmaster to help build your confidence up.

You could try and find an experienced sharer or rider to ride your mare for you whilst you work on your confidence, and also bring her back into work and get her fit again.
I also think the idea of seeing if a riding school would take her on working livery would do you both the world of good as you will also have support from the riding school staff and she would be cared for by the staff there. If she is steady she will also get exercise within lessons.

If your friend was riding her for the first time since November, it could be she is in pain from her tack as she may have changed shape so it no longer fits, or simply because she hadn't been ridden in 7 months and your friend was asking her to canter. When a horse has had a lot of time off they do need to be brought back into work gradually, even if they are healthy - it would be like asking someone to do a marathon on that day after they have spent a year resting.

Due to the amount of time she has had out, I do really think you need to consider getting someone with more experience than you to school her OP so she doesn't fall into bad habits and is schooled to a level she is suitable for you to ride and you will be able to learn from her.

SpringArising

Visit site
^^^^ This!!! FFS what does OP expect! IF this is the case, and (dare I say it) if this thread is genuine...... then this mare is VERY long-suffering and tolerant and is a true angel (I want her!). I really don't get it: Why bother to buy a horse if you're only gonna ride it once in a blue moon, if that? Cheaper to go to riding stables surely.

OP, sorry to be blunt, but it sounds to me like this is a lovely horse just going to waste. if you cannot be bothered to ride your horse then what's the point?

Who on earth buys a horse to learn to ride on, then sticks in a field and rides it just a couple of times in the next few months. Is it half term again already???

I'm glad you said it. Seems an enormous waste of money to buy a bombproof established riding horse and only hop on it at most once a month.

Jesus Christ - give the girl a break. As if the horse gives a blummin' hoot if it's 'going to waste'. Loads of people rough their horses off over the winter, don't ride in the summer because it's too hot, chuck them out for a year while they're pregnant/raising children, etc. etc. Since when was owning a horse all about just the riding?

Then you ought to be busy studying, and not frittering the day away online. Ask whatever adult is responsible for the mare to arrange for her to be brought back into work correctly once you have finished school for the summer.

I don't recall anyone asking for advice on how to live their life or for parental advice. :confused3:

Morgan123

Visit site
Everybody has given you good advice but you need to have a plan and I have that.
1. Finish the GCSEs : don't risk an injury during exam time. Assuming you mean that you are taking the exams this month, this year.
2. Celebrate by going out a couple of times : to a riding school. This will boost your knowledge and confidence in yourself. It will do you good to ride a horse again that is not your own. Have a lesson with some others so that you are not in the spotlight all the time.
3. Whenever you have some time groom and tack up your horse. Take it out for a walk in hand or something, then build up to getting on her, but get off immediately. Again confidence boosting.
4. At some point later you will feel the urge to ride her properly, so do so. As others have said, follow a horse fitness programme I.e. walks only, then some trotting, and only finally adding in cantering. Be realistic about your aims and the frequency too, 5 times a week over the summer may be too many for you, but 3?Maybe?
Many of the posters on here, me included, never just school. We hack and use the local countryside to work with ours and the horse's education I.e. turning on the fore hand we practise by opening and closing gates, jumping fallen logs in the woods etc. I always find an uphill path to canter up too, as bucking is muuuch harder for the horse then.
In this case the education is yours, if you fail , do something you can both do, so that you end up feeling successful.
You have the summer in front of you, both of you need to enjoy it.

Love this. good advice!

applecart14

Visit site
Because the OP has had the courage to admit that she is nervous and has asked for advice and because people like to try and help in an encouraging way.

I agree. There is nothing worse than asking a question and then getting bombarded by insults, or people changing the topic to suit their own agenda. There is no 'wrong' question, you never stop learning with horses.

The whole point of this forum is to help educate, encourage, reassure and support people when they have a genuine question (however unsuited that is to someones own thoughts/beliefs) and to just insult someone or put them down for no reason, other than to get satisfaction from doing the same is a p**s poor attitude in my book.

This is why I still beaver away tenaciously on this forum despite the knocks and disheartening/discouraging opinions of the minority that just want a good laugh at someones expense or to make themselves feel better due to their own inadequacies by making people rise to the bait.

fatpiggy

Visit site
By the way I'm 15 and doing my GCSEs.

When I was 15 and doing my GCSEs I gave up riding (used to ride a friend's pony, didn't have one of my own) because I had way too much studying to do. I didn't ride again until I had graduated from University aged 24. No way would I recommend a teenager buy a horse. Its the worst possible time of your life if you aren't already used to the amount of time horsekeeping takes up.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think some replies are really harsh!
I can totally see that the whole situation sounds a bit odd to some but this is a nervous 15 year old who has had her confidence knocked.
Op- are your parents horsey? You do sound a bit like you've been abandoned with this horse and need a bit of support.
Is moving to a yard an option? Definitely get an instructor to help you.
Personally I'd get the exams over and done with then use your longer summer to get to grips with your horse.
Roughly where abouts are you based? Maybe I or someone else here can help or give some recommendations of local people who can x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just to add my own daughter is doing her exams at the minute and she's not got exam leave. On the contrary she's flat out work wise and getting no time to ride and really stressing about the little things.

Wightman

Visit site
Hi I'm based near milton keynes and no my parents aren't horsey which is why I wanted something easy going that I could learn on. I suppose I had to start somewhere and maybe it was a mistake buying her but that's in the past now and so I'm thinking about the future and what's best for me and her. Thanks again for comments.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Just to add my own daughter is doing her exams at the minute and she's not got exam leave. On the contrary she's flat out work wise and getting no time to ride and really stressing about the little things.

Well I wish the kids around here were instead of sitting outside my flat drinking and causing mayhem!!! Listening to a football being repeatedly kicked off of steel gates for 20mins is very very irritating, you can't chase them off and the police don't give a crap.

Would prefer them to be stressing their heads off in their own house...... Like o was doing when I was on exam leave.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Jesus Christ - give the girl a break. As if the horse gives a blummin' hoot if it's 'going to waste'. Loads of people rough their horses off over the winter, don't ride in the summer because it's too hot, chuck them out for a year while they're pregnant/raising children, etc. etc. Since when was owning a horse all about just the riding?

I don't recall anyone asking for advice on how to live their life or for parental advice. :confused3:
Thank you, SpringArising, for putting into words what I've been thinking whilst reading this thread!

OP, good luck with your horse, however you decide to proceed, and good luck with your GCSE's too!

Orca

Visit site
Wightman, I'd highly recommend Plum Park Farm riding school for some confidence building lessons on decent riding school horses. It looks like they are running summer activities too. With any luck there might be some stable management oriented stuff going on. Maybe give them a call?

http://www.plumparkfarm.co.uk/ridingschool.htm

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Been told by many a vet/horseman that a horse living out 24/7 can readily do a 12 mile hack at all paces straight from the field

Of course they can. But after resting the horse for months you would be asking for a tendon strain or saddle sores or a back problem or all three. Would any person do nothing but the housework in slippers for three months and go for a two hour jog in a pair of shoes, even though most could?

Just because most people would get away with it most of the time with most horses, why would anyone take that risk with a horse they value?

11bluewolf

Visit site
Just to say owning a horse and doing exams is definitely possible! I came out with very good GCSE grades and am now studying A levels- although I do hardly ride during exam time. I definitely recommend laying off the riding for now and then getting your horse fit and back into work after exams during the summer with the help of an instructor. I manage to go to school and do 5 hours of revision a night and go up to finish my horse during the week days so if you manage your time well you should have a bit of time to spend with your horse. As having some time away from revision is essential. Maybe do some in-hand walks as suggested by others! Sorry haven't really answered your question though!
good luck :)