My 2 at 8 & 6 months

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Thought I'd share my pics too. Gracie is now 8 months & Roxy is 6 months. I am still utterly in love with them, hope you like them too:

P1020210.jpg

P1020212.jpg

P1020217.jpg

P1020220.jpg

P1020230.jpg

P1020237.jpg

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
No idea how big they are, I keep meaning to measure them but can't find my tape. I stood older foal up against my 13.2 Welsh C the other week & she's taller than her. Both were by the same stallion & out of 16.2hh + mares though so am hoping they will both make a decent size.

Maggie2

Visit site
They are both really lovely, I bet that you won't know them once they have moulted.

He really stamps his stock doesn't he?

Alec Swan

Visit site
nijinsky,

you've asked for opinions, and whilst I'm happy to be corrected, I would most certainly, and from the second pic, advise that you give some thought to the foals front end.

I suspect that I'd prefer the smaller of the two, if I'm honest. As with many on this forum, I would welcome the opinions of the more experienced.

Alec.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Alec,

Actually I didn't ask for opinions, just posted recent pics (following on from the recent postings of 7 & 8 month olds) and all I said was "hope you like" and of course I totally understand that not everyone will like and if you look at the amount of views and the amount of replies I suspect there are a fair few that don't like.

But, as you have given your opinion, would you like to elaborate on your front end comment and does this relate to both foals or just bigger one?

I actually prefer bigger foal.

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
Aww, just cos peeps don't comment doesn't mean they don't like!
I can't see anything to say bad about either, they both look like fluffy cuddly babies at the moment....gorgeous!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
nijinsky,

you've asked for opinions, and whilst I'm happy to be corrected, I would most certainly, and from the second pic, advise that you give some thought to the foals front end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider yourself corrected! That sort of comment adds NOTHING to the subject except angst! Both foals are a little bum high - but I can see nothing to object to in either foal's front end, except perhaps in the 4th pic which APPEARS to show some toeing in in the bigger foal. But as it doesn't show in the other pics I suspect that's just the result of a gawky foal turning and the camera catching a misleading split second.

There is an old saying: Look at a foal at 3 days, 3 months, and 3 years! The weanling stage is usually a fugly one - I remember well looking at my filly Summer Song as a weanling and wondering how on earth her Mum (one of my best mares) had produced THAT! She went on to develop into a little stunner who won a strong yearling filly class at the National Breed Show, despite being one of the smallest in the class (she was an August foal!)

And I prefer the bigger one at THIS point in time - it could be totally different in 6 months (or 12 months).

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Thank you - Oh Goodness no, all I'm saying is that everyone's choice in breeding is different & I don't expect everyone to like. I defo do not think for one minute that I've bred the perfect foals, there's always room for improvement.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see nothing to object to in either foal's front end, except perhaps in the 4th pic which APPEARS to show some toeing in in the bigger foal. But as it doesn't show in the other pics I suspect that's just the result of a gawky foal turning and the camera catching a misleading split second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes JG - she was on the turn from standing in front of Mr Nijinsky to following him over to me. I have the farrier regular every 4 weeks as they were both starting to go a little upright but on his last visit he said they were both doing very well and we can lengthen visits again.

I also think I have a little growth spurt going on at the moment with bigger foal.

rubyrumba

Visit site
I think they will look even more gorgeous when their summer coat comes through! Is that them on the left in your sig? How cute!

sallyf

Visit site
I think your farrier is correct about going a little upright and i'm sure it is to do with a growth spurt but to me the larger foal does look slightly over at the knee.
As your farrier quite rightly says it is probably a growth spurt but it is something to keep an eye on as they go upright incredibly quickly sometimes and i'm sure he already told you what to look out for.
I have no idea whose parents belong to which foal but interestingly enough Queens Soldier was over at the knee but i suspect as always he is the dam sire of the smaller foal.
Both looking really well though.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Haha - yes Queen's Soldier mare is dam of smaller foal.

GB you have said exactly the same as someone else who I highly respect and take advice from and so with this great advice and my fab farrier I am aware of what I need to be keeping an eye on and am sure it will resolve itself.

Alec Swan

Visit site
nijinsky,

you're right, you didn't ask for opinions, but if you will allow me to, then I will add to my previous comment. I should have added that I think that they are well grown, and accepting my comment about the taller of the two, the one in the second pic, I would be very proud of them.

If they didn't have bums above their withers, then I would worry! That aspect of them is entirely correct, and what I would hope to see, were they mine.

The second pic, the one with the foal standing alone in front of the chap in the red woolly hat, then again I would say that it could be considered to be a little over at the knee. The 4th. pic. and for those who've criticised, it's most probably that the foal was moving as the pic was taken. Foals are very elastic, and on occasions, frighten the life out of me. Then I look at them again, and they're as they should be!

It's entirely possible that the second pic showed the foal standing in an awkward position. If that's the case then they are a delight, and I mean it.

There is one thing of which I'm certain, and it's that even from photos' it's obvious that they have been very well handled. I only wish that mine were so calm! I, for one, would be interested to know which foal was from which mare. In my humble opinion Future Illusion is a very smart horse.

Back to the start, you're right in that you didn't ask for my opinion. I apologise, and that said, if you don't want them, then you can send them both up to me! I still think that you have two very nice foals, even if I do prefer the smaller!!

Alec.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Alec,

It's not a problem, you are saying what I am already aware of, my worry was that you were seeing something "front end" that I was totally missing.

It is quite difficult taking pictures, I must have taken 30 out there today but when you look at them, not very many come out great, either foals are completely in your face or standing at an awkward angle or just moving off, plus I didn't have them on a leadrope, they were free.

They are very well handled but more than that they just have the most superb temperaments, they really are a pleasure & touch wood they don't seem to have any issues & I don't have any problems with them, that all sounds rather sickly doesn't it but it's true, I have been so lucky with these two, my first attempt at breeding and I couldn't have asked for it any other way and yes FI is very smart.

Bigger foal is out of the Lord David S mare and smaller foal out of the Queens Soldier mare.

Holly831

Visit site
They are both lovely foals...I too have heard the look at 3 days and then not again till age 3 (hope its true for my 2 year old!!!)

They do always start to look a bit gawky around weaning but that is exactly what they should look like! I too would be proud to add them both to my brood!!

As to being over at the knee, better that than back at the knee as quite often they go a little back as they grow and you will probably find she corrects anyway!
Keep updating piccies please x

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

It is quite difficult taking pictures, I must have taken 30 out there today but when you look at them, not very many come out great, either foals are completely in your face or standing at an awkward angle or just moving off, plus I didn't have them on a leadrope, they were free.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
It's almost impossible!! Look at the legs on this filly!

Mel-wean.jpg

They look dreadful - but she was throwing on the anchors at the time - they're actually VERY good. And that foal in the back has a VERY long back - whoops - no - it's TWO foals in the back! I reckon on taking at LEAST 100 to get one good one - thank goodness for digital cameras!

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Thanks. I've never heard that saying so you do learn something new every day
smile.gif

They are changing all the time, you notice different things at different stages and what I don't always see so clearly I am lucky enough to have great knowledgeable friends, a vet I have loads of confidence in & a really good farrier so I'm sure nothing will be missed.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Great pic JG - yes it's near on impossible to get a great picture, looks like she's come galloping up & only just noticed you were there!! Love the foal behind too.

I think of 8 months taking probably thousands of pictures I could probably count on both hands how many nice one's I've got and this is my all time favourite of the bigger foal at 3 weeks old:
P1010280.jpg

And of little one at about 3 weeks too, though not a conformation shot, just sooo cute:
Roxy2.jpg

jaypeebee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it's near on impossible to get a great picture

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is. Anyone who has to photograph their youngstock can attest to this. The hours Ive spent trying to get just one or two good photos and the little monsters flick their tail or half bend their leg so it looks like it is attached by a rubber band!

Your little ones are lovely. The funny poses would have been noticed by most of us I would think, but, like me, the majority would probably have put it down to foals just simply are no good as supermodels
wink.gif

Equestrian92

Visit site
God guys what are you guys worrying about, they are both absolutely stunning! Id be very proud to own two beautiful foals like them, let them be horses, let them grow!