My Bear cub-quite a sad post

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bear will be 12 tomorrow. Different dog, I know, but at 12, Brig was full of beans, nothing wrong with him. Bear seems quite unmotivated since Zak died, although he is still too wild to go off lead in the big woods and would be a bad example. Even Goose’s best efforts to get him playing bitey face often don’t work. Goose is not allowed to harass him, but he adores him and likes to cwtch with him (but never with Mitch, oddly)

For a while now, I’ve noticed that Bear doesn’t always respond to voice and relies on the puppies to give him cues. My OH noticed he didn’t come to call for cuddles after his night shift last week. We think he’s gone deaf, which is obviously quite limiting. He can do his route through the small woods-surrounded by railings, so safe, but I feel really sad for him. He feels old before his time. He seems happy, he’s on my knee, but was looking at me expectantly earlier, he couldn’t hear me speaking to him.? I hate the thought of him living in silence. We will keep him safe, he comes with us to the big woods but stays on lead then gets his own walk off lead in a safe area. He knows hand signals, we taught them early on.

The lack of motivation is due to the deafness, at least in part, we have lots of key words, so not hearing them means he isn’t as excited, although over the moon to be shown his lead/treat container. I think he can hear certain noises, just not normal talking. I know older dogs deteriorate, but I was hoping he’d be able to hear us at 12. Poor little lad.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its so hard when they start to deteriorate, i ended up keeping my collie cross on the flexi lead as she couldnt hear properly from about 13, and if she couldnt see me she would panic and start running, usually in the wrong direction and would be very distressed so a flexi lead meant she could toddle about at her own speed and still be safe. you can only do your best for him..xx

millikins

Visit site
It is sad to watch them struggle. I had my poodle pts when he was just shy of 13 when he went completely blind. I know many dogs cope well but poor Louis was just a shadow of his former self, lost all his self confidence and if he lost touch with me at any time, panicked. I did always suspect he wouldn't cope with blindness, throughout his life he would become very subdued if I was late booking his haircut and his top knot grew too long.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was afraid when I opened the thread that it would be even worse news, CT. I hope for his sake that he will be able to learn a few more visual clues, and that and touch will be enough for him to be happy, or at least content, for a good while yet. I know nothing about deaf dogs, though, and it's a sad for all of you :(

Clodagh

Visit site
All of our dogs have gone deaf but it has never altered their happiness, they’ve just become very independent! Are you sure there isn’t anything else wrong? I know he was a bit upset about the puppies coming home, are you sure they aren’t bullying him at all, even unintentionally?

misst

Visit site
My little JRT went quite deaf and had cataracts but remained happy until dementia set in at 13 or 14. My 7 year old suddenly seemed subdued and old for his years. He has issues with his legs (see librela thread) but I didn't really think they were too bad. I tried him on a short course of metacam with great results - he cheered up and was a lot more engaged in life.

Vet and I decided long term this was no option so started him on Librela - he is a different dog after one dose. People comment on walks who know him, family are amazed.
I do wonder if Bear could possibly have some pain somewhere? I feel quite bad that Moti was so different on painkillers and I had not helped him sooner - not saying this is the case with Bear - but worth a thought maybe.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My older boys are both quieter since the little menace showed up... but seem happy with it rather than subdued. Like they are happy to let the young idiot be in charge so they can relax and someone else can manage the mischief for once! Although Hugo does sometimes give me a look as if to say "is he really still here?"

Oscar is 12 in a week. ❤ He's doing well but is on a joint supplement. My view is somewhat coloured by my childhood dog not making it to 11 (and seeming like an old dog at 9 or 10) but I feel that some signs of age at 12 are to be expected.

It's hard though. I'm struggling to imagine life without Oscar. I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy him while he's here.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
They’re very closely supervised, we are definitely helicopter owners! Mitch ignores him, Bear likes to use him as a pillow. Goose tries to play with him, but Bear tells him to go away, he’s not playful except if finding a dummy/chasing a ball. Pups are mostly in the cage overnight so can’t annoy him. The youngsters do zoomies, Bear prefers a quiet wander round, the back door is always open, they don’t harass him in the garden.

Currently Duracell bunny dog is chewing his new keys toy on the floor, Bear is cwtched next to me on the recliner, snoring, Mitch is on the back of the recliner, favourite position. I’m just worried he can’t hear me, so I can’t get his attention unless he can see me.

I just think 12 is no age. I’m sad he doesn’t seem to hear me. He’s content enough, he wants his tea, cuddles, to have me in sight, to chase a ball. He’s a devil for getting off my OH in favour of me if I sit down. Goose also does this now!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It does seem a bit odd, that a gradual hearing loss has had such a noticeable effect on him. The Scottish branch of our family has a deaf Dalmation, who has slowed a bit as she has got older but is still as mad as a box of frogs aged 11. I would take Bear for a vet check when it is convenient. Does he respond to a whistle?

I must admit that the oldest Lab we have ever had lived to be 15 and the next just a couple of months off her 15th birthday. I remember a vet telling us (years ago) that if you got a Lab to 10, you had done a good job. Most of ours have been aged 12- 14, so unless Spaniels usually live until their late teens and he is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about Bear.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I was afraid when I opened the thread that it would be even worse news, CT. I hope for his sake that he will be able to learn a few more visual clues, and that and touch will be enough for him to be happy, or at least content, for a good while yet. I know nothing about deaf dogs, though, and it's a sad for all of you :(

I would be in a terrible state if anything worse was going on, 2 in 6 months was stupidly hard. Bear is my boy, he’s always favoured me, I’ll be in bits when he goes.

My little JRT went quite deaf and had cataracts but remained happy until dementia set in at 13 or 14. My 7 year old suddenly seemed subdued and old for his years. He has issues with his legs (see librela thread) but I didn't really think they were too bad. I tried him on a short course of metacam with great results - he cheered up and was a lot more engaged in life.

Vet and I decided long term this was no option so started him on Librela - he is a different dog after one dose. People comment on walks who know him, family are amazed.
I do wonder if Bear could possibly have some pain somewhere? I feel quite bad that Moti was so different on painkillers and I had not helped him sooner - not saying this is the case with Bear - but worth a thought maybe.

He’s on a joint supplement. I have to be careful not to overdo it with him or he pulls up lame, he’s very oversized for a springer, 26kg and very tall. He moves nicely, he and Zak were hopeless if hurt, really obviously lame, which is very helpful as you can really see when something’s wrong. He’s just unmotivated unless food/walks are involved. I have Rimadyl for emergencies, I might try a few days of it, no harm, is there?

My older boys are both quieter since the little menace showed up... but seem happy with it rather than subdued. Like they are happy to let the young idiot be in charge so they can relax and someone else can manage the mischief for once! Although Hugo does sometimes give me a look as if to say "is he really still here?"

Oscar is 12 in a week. ❤ He's doing well but is on a joint supplement. My view is somewhat coloured by my childhood dog not making it to 11 (and seeming like an old dog at 9 or 10) but I feel that some signs of age at 12 are to be expected.

It's hard though. I'm struggling to imagine life without Oscar. I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy him while he's here.

I’m just hacked off that he’s ‘only’ 12, but Brig was a much more lightweight, shorter dog, I shouldn’t compare, I know. I’d like him to go on forever, obviously.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It does seem a bit odd, that a gradual hearing loss has had such a noticeable effect on him. The Scottish branch of our family has a deaf Dalmation, who has slowed a bit as she has got older but is still as mad as a box of frogs aged 11. I would take Bear for a vet check when it is convenient. Does he respond to a whistle?

The hearing loss has been gradual, not the lack of motivation, that has been since Zak went in July. Zak was main mischief maker, Bear followed his lead. He’s still a lunatic if allowed off in the big woods, but there’s no way he’ll be doing that given he won’t hear me. I don’t know about the whistle, it’s a good shout, he’s trained to come back on 3 pips, just haven’t used it for a while as he’s normally good at just keeping track of me.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I knew a woman with a deaf and blind dog who swore he would recall if she waved her arms around as he seemed to pick up the scent! A testament to the dog's sense of smell rather than a comment on her personal hygiene I'm sure! And rather dependent on wind direction.

Perhaps Bear would enjoy learning some hand signals and maybe he could learn to pick up arm waving to get his attention, even if it just in his peripheral vision rather than because you are smelly. ?

He looks in great shape in your photos and I'm sure you have plenty of time with him yet even if you and he have to adapt a bit. ❤

The deaf puppy I fostered learned that a thumbs up meant "good boy" and he responded to that the way other dogs responded to "good dog"... Happy, wagging tail etc. I basically loaded the thumbs up with reward associations like you would load a click from a clicker.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
A vet check to be on the safe side sounds like a good idea, but perhaps it have just temporarily gotten a bit much, with both Zak gone, hearing less, and less off lead time due to that he can't hear you as well as before.

If you have relatively open terrain where he could run around, have you thought about using a longline and harness? If you feel the longlines made for dog training is too short, go to a store with climbing, kayaking etc equipment, and buy a longer longline. If he doesn't remember to look at you regularly, and you need his attention, you can either step on the longline, or grab it with your (gloved?) hands.

Sometimes I really wish they could talk, so we could ask them if there's anything wrong, and if so, what. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Moobli

Visit site
The hearing loss has been gradual, not the lack of motivation, that has been since Zak went in July. Zak was main mischief maker, Bear followed his lead. He’s still a lunatic if allowed off in the big woods, but there’s no way he’ll be doing that given he won’t hear me. I don’t know about the whistle, it’s a good shout, he’s trained to come back on 3 pips, just haven’t used it for a while as he’s normally good at just keeping track of me.
Could you get a vibrating collar and teach him to respond to that? I’d also probably get a vet check just to make sure his lethargy isn’t down to undiagnosed pain or illness.

twiggy2

Visit site
I dint think dogs really tend to worry about being deaf I woukd be more inclined to look at pain being the cause of his deterioration, it may be easily managed.
I so qould be getting a full vet check, I have known many deaf dogs but never any that have shown any deterioration with it.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
It's horrible when they start showing signs of ageing. I've had a few oldies go deaf and they learn very quickly to respond to hand signals. When I lost Evie it was probably nearly a year before her daughter Freya was totally back to her old self, so the loss of Zak may still be affecting him, coupled with the presence of the youngsters, his world has changed quite a bit hasn't it. I agree with those who suggest a vet check, there could be something subtle going on and picking it up now could make all the difference.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I knew a woman with a deaf and blind dog who swore he would recall if she waved her arms around as he seemed to pick up the scent! A testament to the dog's sense of smell rather than a comment on her personal hygiene I'm sure! And rather dependent on wind direction.

Perhaps Bear would enjoy learning some hand signals and maybe he could learn to pick up arm waving to get his attention, even if it just in his peripheral vision rather than because you are smelly. ?

He looks in great shape in your photos and I'm sure you have plenty of time with him yet even if you and he have to adapt a bit. ❤

The deaf puppy I fostered learned that a thumbs up meant "good boy" and he responded to that the way other dogs responded to "good dog"... Happy, wagging tail etc. I basically loaded the thumbs up with reward associations like you would load a click from a clicker.

A vet check is the way forward. I think I’ll register him back at the old vets. Last time I took him to the mixed practice, the vet told my OH he had an aggressive tumour and he’d inevitably die. You can imagine, so soon after losing Zak, how my poor OH felt having to tell me that. It was a blocked salivary gland. I’ve done a thorough ear clean, his ears aren’t dirty, but definitely worth a check.

He knows lots of hand signals because Brig was deaf in his last years. It could be fun teaching him more.

I wonder if he’s depressed, he and Zak were never apart. He’s a much more sensitive dog than Brig who didn’t seem to register Jake being gone.

We have a Bear sized harness and multiple longlines so we can keep him moving safely. His recall is great in the local fields, one little woodland is enclosed so safe, 5 feet high council railings.

Our lives revolve around the dogs when we’re not at work, Bear is usually on someone’s knee. I got him to follow me upstairs this morning at 4.30 when Mitch decided to get up. Pups went into crates, Bear got big dog time til the alarm went off.