My boy had just been diagnosed with stomach cancer :(

Esmae

Visit site
I'm really sorry you've had such a horrible shock.

I'm afraid since he probably can't be covered by insurance for ulcers at his age, that I would not be spending the huge amount of money that treating the ulcers will cost for a horse with stomach cancer.

In any case, surely it's likely that the stomach cancer has caused the ulcers and they will simply come back again? It's not a journey I would start on, because sadly there is no good ending whatever you do.

I would agree completely. So sorry op.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I’m so sorry OP. A horse on my yard had exact the same, he was a 16yr old hunter. Sadly the outcome wasn’t good, but he stopped eating because he was so uncomfortable and medication didn’t help. They said it was rare.

Good luck with your decision. Xxx

cauda equina

Visit site
I too am so sorry.
A compromise could be to treat the ulcers symptomatically (in order to try to reduce the pain, not with the expectation of a 'cure') but for a limited time.
Hopefully that would give your poor boy a bit of respite, and you time to process what is happening.
You need to be happy with whatever you decide, and when we're faced with serious things out of the blue it's hard to think straight.
As everyone has said, 'the obvious' is to be avoided. Some vets are surprisingly gung-ho IMO.
Sending best wishes xxx

nagblagger

Visit site
I am so sorry for your news. Reading your post you said the ulcers are secondary to the cancer, if you can't treat the cause the ulcers won't heal and the cancer is causing these erosions. You must be an excellent, caring owner to investigate, so early, his change in behaviour. Unfortunately I agree with most of the comments that, after coming to terms with this terrible diagnosis, there is only one decision. The worse decision for the owner but the best for your boy. Sending hugs whatever you decide.

Reacher

Visit site
I am so sorry for your news. I completely remember how devastated I was when I lost my horse I had had from my teenage years. My heart goes out to you.

As others suggest I would make a list of questions for the vet, and potentially get a second opinion.

I can’t know if it was the same diagnosis, however my friend lost a horse to an internal tumour which ruptured. I believe the heart gave out. I would not want to risk this for my horse. I am truly sorry x

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I lost my very precious stallion to heart failure. Post mortem showed haemorrhaging throughout his body. That was an incredibly painful death I would not wish on any one animal or human. You do not want to see your horse in this sort of pain. Please don't grasp at straws, there is only one outcome for this and it isn't pleasant. My friend has recently lost her dog to stomach cancer. He was being treated for weeks before final diagnosis and her biggest regret is that it wasn't diagnosed sooner so that she could have put an end to his suffering a lot sooner.
Yes, it will hurt you a lot to lose him but his welfare comes first. Be brave, we are all behind you.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm really sorry, and I know that this is not what you want to hear, but I am struggling to believe that your vet has suggested the best way forward, either for you or for your incurably ill horse.

Please make sure she explains to you what keeping him alive "until the obvious happens" means, because the obvious, according to other people with animals with similar issues, is not a good ending.
I have to agree. Really sorry your facing this, OP, but I would let him go sooner rather than later. Massive hugs.x

SO1

Visit site
This is incredibly sad. I think you need to have a chat to vet about the risks of following their advice and the level of pain he is in and if it can be relieved.

Steroids carry a risk of laminitis so it is not a risk free medication.

The BHS have a service called friends at the end and they maybe able to some support and help you with decision making process.

https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/wel...xt='Friends at the End' is,or loss of a horse.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I lost my horse to colic a fortnight ago He had never had it before. When he was scanned at the equine hospital they felt they could also see some sort of mass in his stomach. I am slightly regretting that I didn't take the free post mortem offer as this summer he'd suddenly started to pop up sarcoids and I am now wondering if the two were related but I was so stressed by his pain and making sure he went in the best way possible that I didn't feel up to the PM decision at the time. I also lost my last horse, who also had sarcoids, to colic but I am probably overthinking things as I am still in a dark place.

You are in a horrible situation OP and I wish you and your horse the very best of luck. All you can do is what you think is best for him. In the meantime, have a big hug.

fankino04

Visit site
So sorry, what horrible news. I'm always one for trying g whatever you can for them BUT that has to be if those efforts will get them over something and if after recovering from the treatment they have a long enough time with good quality of life and unfortunately in this case it doesn't sound like treating the ulcers is in their best interest.