My boy is blind in one eye......

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mr C is fine with one eye.

Only thing I do is prefer to hack out with horse on the eye side, make sure gates on the blind side are out of the way.

Check the saddle - they can have slight imbalance on one side in terms of muscle build up.

Apart from that I have no problems - and Mr C finds having one eye is great for getting treats out of people in sympathy.

Libby06

Visit site
dont worry it will soon be as good as normaly it will jumping perfectly soon
smile.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Sorry to hear about Ty... can't believe your vet didn't pick it up
confused.gif

As I posted in the other thread my friend's horse Josh is partially sighted in his left eye... though we have noticed lately his vision seems to have disappeared almost completely. He probably still sees light and shade but little else.

He's got 20+ BD points, all of which were gained after he lost the majority of his sight so it is possible to train a horse post-sight problem. Honestly people never realise he's got a problem unless we point it out or if they are very observant on the bad days when his pupil is very very cloudy (usually when its been very sunny). I forget myself sometimes. Even though its his left eye you can lead him from that side. He can be spooky but he was spooky when my friend bought him - she bought him as an unbroken 6yo who was still living in a field with him Mum. His sight problems happened the following year - he'd been backed and ridden away but nothing more. As he's got older and his sight has got worse he has actually got less spooky. He can be hacked out on his own now and copes with buses and lorries far better than he ever used to...

What I guess I'm trying to say is that horses adjust amazingly well and Ty's problem shouldn't stop you doing anything you want to do together
smile.gif