My boys' "Bromance"..Im going to strangle the pair of them...!!!!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Jester and Comanche are in love :rolleyes: and its driving me nuts as seperating them for doing anything with either of them results in screaming from the field from the one left behind. Jester is the worst when taken out of the field..if Comanche calls him then he panics and tries to head back. Today however he ripped the rope from my hands and pigged off back to the field. He is 3 years old and almost 16hh..because of his dodgy past he can be quite sharp. Normally I can do anything with him but this is getting out of hand and quite frankly bluddy annoying :(
In getting him a Dually headcollar to give me more control but does anyone have any other ideas to help stop all this..??? Im aware that he lacks confidence and that Comanche is very much the leader of the group but I need help..!!!! :eek:

Palindrome

Visit site
I find a longer lead rope (or a lunge line) and making the horse circle around me until they focus on what I am asking and not the other horse calling helps. Perhaps gloves as well if he is pulling the lead rope out of your hands. I don't know if it's the best method but have my mare just "get on with it" when I separate her from her boyfriend and she seems quieter when in a routine and she knows what to expect.

Tnavas

Visit site
Gloves,Hat & BP,I also second the idea of a longer lead rope.

I'll add to that - have him in a lunging cavesson - you have an advantage in that you can direct his nose - wherever his nose goes he has to follow - in a headcollar they can turn their heads away, set their necks and go!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Yes should have said...they live out 24/7 with my friends 2.5 yo cob gelding and 14 yo Breton mare.
Comanche is 5 and definately the boss...he calls loudly if any of them leave the field but Jester (who is 3) in particular. However he is not as bad when its him leaving the field. Im assuming alot of it is down to confidence and herd behaviour. .??

trojanpony

Visit site
I feel your pain! when I moved my two in together I had exactly this - couldn't take my boy put for a ride or anything. At first I couldn't even get him near the gate, let alone outside it!
All I did was go out every day, with horse on lunge line. At first I just fed them at opposite ends.on the field then progressed to taking him outside the gate, then walking a little way etc etc. after a couple of weeks I could lead him a few hundred yards so I tacked up and ride him. Another week of walking up and down up and down the same quarter of a mile of bridleway. My only rule was to try and go further every time. Obviously you need to judge how far is too far so he's turning round when you ask him to not peeing off of his own accord. It took a while and was a slow process, but I'd say by about week three I could go out for a hack with no problems. I also had someone to stay in the fields with the other one to prevent her whinneying and tanking around until we had got used to gong out for a hack, then she was left alone.