My crazy nutcase pony.. Help!!

willowdoodle

Visit site
Kinda long but desperate post ahead, I need help or I’m going to have to sell my best friend! 😞

I have a ISH (who believes he’s a race horse, and not ready to retire yet) who is driving me up the wall with rushing and running and overal having way too much energy and being very excitable when ridden no matter what. I offten get the point of wanting to just give up and sell him, but I love him way too much! He will work himself up so much that he just will not walk and will burst into canter out of nowhere, can’t pull because it upsets him but can’t give the rein because he’ll run off. He DOESNT tire out, he will canter/gallop for hours! It’s at the point where I can’t even begin to work with him because he’s just too worked up and exited to focus. I’m looking at calmers as his previous owner said she used them and I’m really running out of ideas. I need suggestions of the strongest and most effective supplement that will just chill him out a bit, or at least take the edge off. He’s on the lowest feed intake (sugar wise) I can have him on and gets nothing special. It’s just driving me mad, and it’s so so frustrating!

Any replies are greatly appreciated, I just want a normal pony!

Attachments

• BF06DFE5-D568-495E-B91E-1390D491881F.jpeg
    BF06DFE5-D568-495E-B91E-1390D491881F.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 53

ozpoz

Visit site
Has he changed since you've had him? I think you first need to eliminate pain as a cause and once you've had all the checks by good qualified practitioners: physio, teeth, saddle, equine vet work up, and then I'd go back to basics with ground work. A good instructor should be able to help you with this.
I found science supplements calmer effective, but definitely get him thoroughly checked out. Sometimes horses are trying to tell us somethng is wrong and it may seem like behaviour, but how else can they let us know?

willowdoodle

Visit site
Has he changed since you've had him? I think you first need to eliminate pain as a cause and once you've had all the checks by good qualified practitioners: physio, teeth, saddle, equine vet work up, and then I'd go back to basics with ground work. A good instructor should be able to help you with this.
I found science supplements calmer effective, but definitely get him thoroughly checked out. Sometimes horses are trying to tell us somethng is wrong and it may seem like behaviour, but how else can they let us know?

He’s been like this since I’ve had him and before I got him, had everything checked and not in pain, he’s just a worrier under saddle and to be worked with, same with lunging. Just needs something to chill him out a bit because it’s almost impossible to work with him when he’s upset

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Cut his feed right back to nothing but hay, use a bit with 2 reins, such as a Pelham, Kimblewick or a Universal and don't let him canter when you have asked for walk, keep him guessing what you will want him to do next with plenty of lateral work, serpentines etc. I won't say transitions because that can make them sharper but transitions within the pace could help you to keep his mind busy and focussed on you.

Michelle1109

Visit site
I’m not an experienced rider by any means but I am on a yard with many!! So I watch and learn - I have seen people try the following in your situation
If it’s not a pain issue.....
Getting a really good experienced trainer to get on and feel what is happening expensive but worth every penny
Feed! What / how much again ask some one like baileys for advise (I’ve used them and they are fab over emails) I know we say drop it - but having a good insight to this can really help
I know it’s obvious but turn out.... is he getting enough
Environment? Is the yard to busy for his mind?
And I know we hate to admit it ..... but could it be you? Are you anticipating a burst of energy and with out knowing it you are tensing up getting ready for the rush! Sometimes we don’t even know we are doing it, but our horses do

I have seen the above changes work magic on REALLY crazy sharpe horses

Best of luck and try your best to take it slow and at your own pace ..... even it’s back on the ground in hand work it’s your timetable no one else’s
Stay positive :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
This isn’t anenergy thing it’s a manners thing.. I’d re start him and put him on long reins and make him walk a lot. He doesn’t get to trot til he chills out.. it’s probably a stress response tbh... I have a rule if the horse wants to go fast , we go slow and if the horse wants to go slow we go fast... because that time is my time,.. the horse has 23 hours a day to do what it wants but for that hour or so ‘work o’clock they do as they’re told.

Antw23uk

Visit site
You need a good instructor who will not classify him as 'naughty' or 'misbehaving' ... if they do .. sack them! You are smiling in that picture but your horse looks really upset! I know you love him and he is your best mate but perhaps you just arent suitable for each other and you have over horsed yourself and he is desperately unhappy!