My daughter is suddenly allergic to horses!!!

showaddy1

Visit site
Hi all, hope you had a good christmas. I have returned to the trusted h & h forum for a little help with my problem!. We moved our three horses to our own little yard, not far from our house. It has three old stables, and other than the mud, is perfect... or would be if my daughter (12) hadnt developed a head to toe, angry red rash.
She has been around horses since she was born, nothing has changed feed wise, the horses are a little itchy but I have treated them for both mites and lice, and have now put it down to the fact it is very warm for this time of year and they are all rugged. (The scratching isnt in any way excessive).
Doctors have no idea what it can be, and my poor girl cannot enjoy her beloved horse without suffering later.
Any suggestions???
Thankyou in advance x

holeymoley

Visit site
Could there be a plant or a tree that she is coming into contact with ? I help ,y friend with her horses now and again and around her stables are trees that seem to give off something that constantly makes me sneeze whatever time of year!

Have you been using new hay? Did you disinfect old stables thoroughly ?

showaddy1

Visit site
Old stables scrubbed out with vircon ( I think thats how it is spelt).. I have suspected a plant, but which sort. It cant be mites, we have four children and they havent spread!
Its a case of, either I find the cause soon, or I have to move.
Allergy testing wouldnt be particularly helpful, unless I find out every species of plant in the nearby vicinity!
Blinking horses....

camilla4

Visit site
Hello Showaddy: whilst it is perfectly possible for anyone to develop an allergy to anything at any time, it seems more likely that your daugher has developed a reaction to something at the new yard, if this allergy is coincident with your move? Have the stables/fences etc been treated with anything; has any work at all been done around the yard; have you changed the horses' bedding etc.

showaddy1

Visit site
The yard was empty for 'years' its just a little stable block in a farmers field. My bedding... tbh I use whatever is on offer, so it has changed in the past five weeks! Im just praying it isnt the actual horse!

navaho

Visit site
Could it be the stuff you used to treat the horse for lice? My sister developed a really nasty rash & that was caused by athletes foot powder, so anything is possible.

MrsHutt

Visit site
I think (and hope!) it is more likely to be something at the new yard (or mite treatment/bedding etc) rather than the horses themselves. I know you can develop new allergies any time (my OH developed an apple allergy at the age of 50!!), but it seems a bit of a suspicious coincidence, if you ask me!

Good luck with your investigations!

robynandTilly

Visit site
Hiya not entirely the same but along the same lines. . I have had horse since I was 3 randomly at 15 years old developed severe hayfever to the point of almost having an asthma attack and i don't have asthma but throat swelled the lot and came out in hives. Now 7 years on I control it with antihistamines wearing a dust mask when handling hay and straw etc otherwise eyes and throat start swelling and I can't stop sneezing. Drs didn't believe my dad that it had just come out but after lots of testing etc they did say it was simply a severe allergic reaction to hay and they coukdnt understand how it had never happened in the previous 12 years. I would take her back to the drs. Good luck

FinalFurlong

Visit site
I have the exact same problem except my GP has told me its more high sensitivity than an allergy because i only get an itchy red rash on my hands whereas an allergy is all over, although i have started to get mild red marks on my face as well but hoping with newly prescribed creams this will go.

Go to your GP he can prescribe tablets and creams which really help (i have normal antihistamine, i did have another prescribed type of antihistamine as well as different creams)

Give your daughter some cotton, thin gloves to wear but make sure her hands dont get hot in these

Double base cream works really well in my dry, flaky hands as the drier my hands get the more red and inflamed they become but although double base cream is greasy it REALLY works (it got so bad i had someone ask if i had something contagious but this was when it was untreated)

CatStew

Visit site
I have a skin condition called Pitiriasis Lichenoides.

I first developed a rash similar to chicken pox all over my arms, stomach and chest, back and thighs last February/March time. I was convinced I was allergic to Bentley as I'd only just bought him and he had started to cast his winter coat. I have had/been around horses for almost 20 years and never had a problem with my skin before. After going to the GP several times, and trying all sorts of lotions and potions on my skin and taking a course of antibiotics, he eventually referred me to a dermatologist who diagnosed me with having the condition.

The dermatologist explained to me that what I have is a very rare condition, and as it is so rare they don't actually know a huge amount about it. They believe that it's a combination of stress and a low immune system that causes outbreaks. He's advised that I only wash in a gentle moisturising soap such as Dove and I also have to use a specially prescribed moisturiser twice a day, as well as a topical steroid cream called betnovate once per day. I also have to have phototherapy treatment three times per week, and keep myself really hydrated so I'm constantly drinking water all the time. I've also been advised to try and avoid any trauma to the skin such as cuts/grazes and bruises. I'm having a biopsy on Monday so that they can hopefully find out more about it! I still think it may have something to do with animal hair though as my dog is currently molting and it's making me feel itchy again!

My skin has now pretty much cleared up apart from the odd small rash every now and then and scarring from all the spots I had on my body, but they are gradually fading away. I can email you some pics of how bad my skin was if you like?