My difficult horse....

McNally

Visit site
Story is ive always had problems he's a real handful at times and can be a complete goon! Rehomed him 18 mths ago as couldnt cope with him and 10 yr old daughter on a youngster- at least with her old pony i knew she was safe what ever my horse was up to!
He came back as they couldnt cope with him (said no where suitable for him to live- on their massive yard?!) tried to loan him out but agian he just comes back- usually because they have tried to put him near a mare (ive always said keep him away)
Now when he came back last time i split my paddock and put him with one little gelding and all was good. He had an injury and is at work with me where its been commented although he's 100% perfectly behaved until a new horse is in sight then he becomes very very excited and they think he's a rig or has hormonal issues.
Clutching at straws maybe here but for a professional yard to say his behaviour is highly abnormal and they wouldnt expect a gelding to behave this way and have never known any horse so highly strung in this way (we have a stallion on the yard- mines randier!) made me wonder if this is why he's always problematic?
I have asked vets in the past about this and was told that rigs are always picked up on long before they get to his age (11) and i figured fair enough im wrong.
My boss has however pointed out that im actually his first proper owner and have had him since he raced at 6 so it wouldnt have been picked up on?
Whats peoples thoughts? How much does the testing cost and IF he's got high testosterone or is a actual rig whats next? could i expect to see any change at this point if i do anything about it?

kirstykate

Visit site
Sorry to hear this, its a right royal pain I know, I had one like this, vets were involved, but I kept him on his own and just used to give him a slap when he misbehaved whilst ridden, then he behaved. We then sold him, new owners had him operated on, and a complete testicle was removed, which had never dropped.:)

spottybotty

Visit site
There was an Ex racer on my yard, rehomed from Darley, he was just the same, kicked the bejeesus out of his stable wrecked fencing on a daily basis and was a total nutjob sounded the same as yours.He finally went back to Darley. Owner and yard manager tried many regimes to keep him happy but nothing worked.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have seen very similar behaviour on a horse on this yard it's a very long story but this horse was tested and it was not a rig the behaviour was so extreme I was seriously considering PTS when a dealer friend told me that regumate ( the stuff for mares ) might help the vet was unsure but as she was dealing with devastation that the horse was causing agreed we should try it was a complete answer he became 'normal' and in time we were able to wean him off it .

be positive

Visit site
A blood test should not cost much, they will be just checking the levels of testosterone not running numerous tests as they know what they are looking for. If he has a retained testicle, I would think it is unlikely but not impossible, an operation will be required and that is going to be under general so will be expensive.
You could try putting him on a rig calm supplement there have been a few posts where it is recommended and results have been good.

Whatever you do, this horse is rather a millstone for you and it is a shame that it seems to go from one problem to another and it would be great if you could get to the other side with no more dramas.

picolenicole

Visit site
I know an ex-racer that is 7 now and he's a rig. Know one knew until he was put in with an old mare, she put them in different fields and he's fine so never followed up on it. So sorry cannot help on that bit.

McNally

Visit site
A blood test should not cost much, they will be just checking the levels of testosterone not running numerous tests as they know what they are looking for. If he has a retained testicle, I would think it is unlikely but not impossible, an operation will be required and that is going to be under general so will be expensive.
You could try putting him on a rig calm supplement there have been a few posts where it is recommended and results have been good.

Whatever you do, this horse is rather a millstone for you and it is a shame that it seems to go from one problem to another and it would be great if you could get to the other side with no more dramas.

Lol, TBH this is a very old problem- in fact it was THE problem with him really and the reason i had to rehome- The rehoming incidentaly was to a TB rescue centre so very experienced at dealing with highly strung horses.
It just kind of surprised me today to hear my bosses discussing my horses extreme behaviour! I think i just kind of put his and my differences down to me being a wimp and him being a lively TB I always figured other people would find him easy.
I will speak to the vet next time his knee is checked and enquire about a test. I think he's copeable with at my place now anyway as we only have geldings who he knows very well and thats fine, on the other hand maybe in the future if he calmed down a little we could try ROR or dressage (mm, ha in my dreams!) he moves beautifully when he's listening.
One thing thats actually good right now though is that since he's been at work ive spent more time with him and we have made friends! ;-D- If i could sort his moments he'd be a nice horse (and of course if he comes good on the knee!)

as sweet as hunni

Visit site
If your willing to spend the money, get your vet to give him the depo shot, I have a stroppy hormonal mare and she has it every 3 mths and now she is an angel, they also use it on geldings/stallions ect :)

jenz87

Visit site
Try agnus castus, its a hormone balancer, originally used for mares, but is also good for riggy geldings. :)
You can buy it online or ebay :)

Bertolie

Visit site
My daughter had her new horse rig tested a couple of months ago as he was showing extreme 'right' behaviour. The test cost just over 60 pounds and thankfully came back negative. If he had have been a rig the vet recommended regumate (tho its quite expensive). As her horse wasn't a rig but was extreme in his behaviour the vet suggested trying him on Global Herbs Rigcalm. Worked wonders, riggy behaviour has totally gone and we have now weaned him off the rigcalm.