My dream horse-does it exist?

skint1

Visit site
Well, I've managed to find a good home for my TB mare, she leaves on Thursday. I'm kind of worried about moving her in the evening because it might be more unsettling for her and her beloved friend that will be left behind but that is the only time she can get a lift. She is on a 3 month trial. I really hope she shines like the stroppy star she is and they love her as much as I do in the end.

Anyway, if she gets through the trial successfully I thought I might like to try and get a horse of my own, for me to ride. I've owned horses for over 10 years now but have always owned Tbs for my daughter, and whilst Basil is a very nice boy he is probably too much for an old novice such as me, and even though I've lost 4 stone and still losing more I am probably too heavy for him. So, whilst i am very passionate about TBs, for me personally, probably not the best choice, though I wouldn't rule one out of course.

I would like an older 14.2-16hh horse, colour and sex unimportant. What I would like is a weight carrier who is lovely to handle, good with other horses and also with dogs and is happy to take a fat old novice on the occasional (once-twice week at most) gentle hack down the farm lanes so a horse that is no longer sound for fast or hard work is not a problem to me as long as they are generally healthy otherwise.

Does such a horse exist?

Natti

Visit site
Everybodys dream horse exists you've just got to keep looking! That's what I'm doing just now, although I can't actually buy until September. I just google what I'm looking for, it's surprising how much comes up! IMO it would probably be best to look for a gelding as they are generally nicer than mares (especially because they don't go in season lol)
Keep looking you'll find your dream horse somewhere!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Course it does. Especially as you don't mind older ones & only want to hack.
And mares are just as nice as geldings!

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
Hehehe! Sorry had to post.... I excited as mare is coming to me, and I can't wait!! She will have 2 new friends ready and waiting in.field. the gelding is going to b one lucky boy with 2 ladies to keep him company! Not sure how my mare will feel about sharing, but as she is normally bottom of pecking order I not too worried!

I am really keen to start sum in hand work with her and really get to know her before we do any riding, so hopefully that will start us off on the right footing :)

If things go well (and I'm not expecting perfect by any means), then u should def look for a horse for urself. That would b amazing to actually do what u have dreamed of for so long. Horses like that r def out there, may just have to manage their diet a bit more closely than a younger horse. And have to say geldings r generally better, but don't rule a mare out. Going into winter might b a good time to pick one up as that's wen most people r put off with extra feed and bedding costs, especially for an older horse.
I will keep my ears open for u.
Xxxxx

Flame_

Visit site
Yes, it certainly does. This is brilliant news, I really hope your mare's new home works out. The sort of horse you're after is usually found through word of mouth (including over the internet ;) ) Start putting the feelers out!

TicTac

Visit site
Whilst everybody would love a 'dream' horse that doesn't kick up a fuss about anything and is there at the beck an call of it's owner, I wonder how we would feel if an advert came up saying...........

' Dream owner wanted' by less than perfect horse. Must turn up on time, be easy going, reliable and good with other people. Age and looks immaterial but must have a good all round knowledge of horse care. Definitely no smokers, people over x stone or speed freaks.

Sometimes the most unlikely partnerships can work and all it takes is time and patience.

skint1

Visit site
Hehehe! Sorry had to post.... I excited as mare is coming to me, and I can't wait!! She will have 2 new friends ready and waiting in.field. the gelding is going to b one lucky boy with 2 ladies to keep him company! Not sure how my mare will feel about sharing, but as she is normally bottom of pecking order I not too worried!

I am really keen to start sum in hand work with her and really get to know her before we do any riding, so hopefully that will start us off on the right footing :)

If things go well (and I'm not expecting perfect by any means), then u should def look for a horse for urself. That would b amazing to actually do what u have dreamed of for so long. Horses like that r def out there, may just have to manage their diet a bit more closely than a younger horse. And have to say geldings r generally better, but don't rule a mare out. Going into winter might b a good time to pick one up as that's wen most people r put off with extra feed and bedding costs, especially for an older horse.
I will keep my ears open for u.
Xxxxx

Is that you?! How amazing is that! :D She does have a log and fans on another internet message board, if you get the urge to update once you have her a lot of people would love to see how she's getting on!

and if you do hear of a horse that could suit me I would love it if you let me know thanks!
and thanks for giving Bella a chance!

Last edited:

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
Yey is me!
Have told my mare and friends gelding there is a lady friend coming and they must b nice to.her! They were busy stuffing their faces with hay, so not sure it went in!

Wen my friend gelding came to.me before she bought it, I took weekly photis of his progress, mainly cos he was really underweight. But it is a good thing to look back on and c how far u have come. Happy to update a log periodically if u give me details :)

Really looking forward to getting to know her, and hopefully going to a few local shows/jumpsing eventually with my her and my friend, hopefully Bella will b better with a friend about?!

I will def keep my ears open for a horse to suit u and let u know if I hear of anything.
X