My farrier is soooo rude!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
tbf he did text you back in the first place, BUT I think the issue is that if you don't hear anything from them how do you know that they have actually got what the message was, its only a 2 min job to say got it, will check diary and let you know. Our hay/straw man is the same! you just have to presume he has got it (or remind him on the eve before planned delivery!)

I would text my farrier at a weekend if a shoe came off as I dont think a text is particularly intrusive and it just warns him asap when he is planning his week that he needs to make a detour. I wouldn't contact him more than once over a weekend unless a proper emergency though.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
My thoughts exactly. He is probably trying to dispose of her as a customer by being unreliable.

Then he should reply to her within a reasonable time and say, I think we should go our separate ways, it's very unprofessional to not reply for days on end ( obv weekends its acceptable.....

Amaranta

Visit site
WRONG!
I've had people call me at 11.35 pm Saturday night when I was in bed, 6.20 am in the morning when I was in bed (yes I am in bed alot it seems!) and LOTS of people booking me to go and fit and flock up their saddles MILES away, I get there (I am ALWAYS early and polite) only to be standing there for a couple of hours and no one turns up,no explanation no apology.It even happened one year on NEW YEAR'S DAY!
I very kindly went out to see to their saddles and new year's day is the day after my birthday so I deliberately didn't go out new year's eve celebrating the new year and my birthday as I knew I had work the next day.I wasn't charging any extra to go out on that day either and yes, no one turned up, no apology after either, so now I don't bother to fit and flock or do saddlery repairs on site at yards or saddlery shops because of this reason as well as the rocketing fuel costs, I simply can't afford to turn up and no one there.
Another one I had over somewhere in Kent, was a man who wanted his rugs washed and repaired, I collected them and did the work, returning on agreed day to his yard, he said he'd leave me the money or a cheque, nothing, so I rang him.Oh just leave the rugs and I will send you the money, yeah right you will!
I ended up selling his rugs to pay his bill after numerous attempts and giving his chances to pay his bill!
The amount of people over the years who have wanted me to leave the yard without payment is amazing!
Funnily enough as you turn to leave before you've flocked their saddles up suddenly a cheque book or cash appears, funny that isn't it!
Sorry for hijacking your thread but I just HAD to answer this. OP I hope you get a Farrier to sort your horse's out!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have a theory: because the equine industry is by and large a 'leisure' one, horsepeople tend to forget that people working within that industry need time off too, hence they feel that it is perfectly OK to ring over the weekend or at any time that suits THEM, they also seem to be under the misconception that they are the only customers some people have.

Maybe I should have said that I would not do it to my saddler, but then I would not do it to my farrier either :)

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I tried to ring my farrier a few Saturday afternoons ago as my mare has twisted her shoe so badly she couldn't put her foot down, he didn't reply but it was the weekend and fair enough in my opinion, I ended up having to call my emergency vet out to get it off. My farrier is great and he came out at 10am Monday morning. I just kept her in on a deep bed with her hoof polticed until he came out. Its a tough call really, I don't answer my phone to clients at the weekends or evenings, I am not on call 24/7 and I will get back to them in working hours. We all need some time off. BUT seeing as he asked you to text he could of replied with just a quick message saying I'll speak to you on Monday or something.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I haven't read the whole thread . . . truly can't be bothered . . . but I do wonder at all these folks who slate farriers saying they're "always" late and/or hard to get hold of . . . this simply isn't my own experience. I've had four farriers since we bought Kal (changed due to yard moves) and no one of them has ever been late, unreliable or hard to get hold of. In fact, they have all bent over backwards to be accommodating if I was in a pickle (lost shoe/lesson scheduled). Perhaps I'm just lucky.

P

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have a theory: because the equine industry is by and large a 'leisure' one, horsepeople tend to forget that people working within that industry need time off too, hence they feel that it is perfectly OK to ring over the weekend or at any time that suits THEM, they also seem to be under the misconception that they are the only customers some people have.

Maybe I should have said that I would not do it to my saddler, but then I would not do it to my farrier either :)

lol, no problem, you would a good customer to have by the sounds of it!
Oz :)

Amaranta

Visit site
I haven't read the whole thread . . . truly can't be bothered . . . but I do wonder at all these folks who slate farriers saying they're "always" late and/or hard to get hold of . . . this simply isn't my own experience. I've had four farriers since we bought Kal (changed due to yard moves) and no one of them has ever been late, unreliable or hard to get hold of. In fact, they have all bent over backwards to be accommodating if I was in a pickle (lost shoe/lesson scheduled). Perhaps I'm just lucky.

P

Nope I don't believe you are lucky, my experiences are exactly the same as yours :)

MarinaBay

Visit site
If my horse lost a shoe I wouldn't call my farrier at the weekend. I might text him to say she had and to think about when he could do it but then call him on Monday. If it was an emergency I would call him and I know he would answer or call me back as he would know I wouldn't call him at the weekend if it wasn't important. I know this as I had my friends horse whilst she was on holiday - 1st day I had him he was hopping lame with Lami it was a saturday and he was there within the hour.
Loosing a shoe I do not class as an emergency, if its at the weekend and the horse has poor feet then keep it in, lots of bedding and a nappy round his foot! Call your farrier on the monday. I agree I think OP is being un reasonable - I would be interested to know what you do for a job OP and if you would mind a phone call out of hours??

Littlelegs

Visit site
Whilst its annoying when farrier is late, or has to re-book for another day i'm sure we've all been in the position where we've been the emergency squeezed in on a already busy day or the one with a horse that for whatever reason takes 2x longer than it should. My farriers told me he avoids phone calls from some clients cos they are never off the phone, he's had calls at 9 pm sat to see a lame horse to save owner the vet call out! Same guy would drop everything to sort out my friends laminitic tho.

Mlini

Visit site
So what would you do if the vet said get the shoe back on asap? :confused:

I can't nail it on myself...

I contacted the farrier (who, by the way, I have NEVER contacted myself as it is normally arranged for me) and have waited for a reply and not got one.

How is that unreasonable? I wasn't demanding that he came out immediatley.

And for the record I have NEVER done anything to upset the farrier. I only hold my horse while he gets the shoes on and pay the man. He has only done his feet 3 times, I changed to him because most of the yard use him and he is a better farrier than my old one.

lizstuguinness

Visit site
In my experience farriers do work weekends and evenings, so cant see the issue ringing during their normal working hours. Probably best to find out what days/times your farrier actualy works and stick to contacting him during these times, unless proper emergency.

Amaranta

Visit site
So what would you do if the vet said get the shoe back on asap? :confused:

I can't nail it on myself...

I contacted the farrier (who, by the way, I have NEVER contacted myself as it is normally arranged for me) and have waited for a reply and not got one.

How is that unreasonable? I wasn't demanding that he came out immediatley.

And for the record I have NEVER done anything to upset the farrier. I only hold my horse while he gets the shoes on and pay the man. He has only done his feet 3 times, I changed to him because most of the yard use him and he is a better farrier than my old one.

Most vets would say get shoe on asap tbh, a lost shoe is NOT an emergency, the fact is you called your farrier late afternoon on a Saturday and either yourself or others have hassled him since, you seem to have no conception that this is unreasonable, I suspect you have peed off your farrier now and maybe need to look for another.

JingleTingle

Visit site
Did you consult your vet about the thrown shoe on Saturday night then, before you tried getting hold of the farrier? Was there a particular reason why you would have needed to consult the vet also?

Just wondering if perhaps you have left out some important detail relating to WHY both a vet and farrier have been contacted on a Saturday night about a thrown shoe?:confused:

scarymare

Visit site
We have a real shortage of farriers here and I wouldn't dream of peeing mine off. I've had to wait 3 weeks for a new shoe and actually contemplated going barefoot. Now have a new farrier who is sufficiently 'hungry' to turn up on time etc. He is however very fisty with my horse but I just blind eye that as his work is outstanding. I'd look for a new one if I were you.

JingleTingle

Visit site
We have a real shortage of farriers here and I wouldn't dream of peeing mine off. I've had to wait 3 weeks for a new shoe and actually contemplated going barefoot. Now have a new farrier who is sufficiently 'hungry' to turn up on time etc. He is however very fisty with my horse but I just blind eye that as his work is outstanding. I'd look for a new one if I were you.

Really???:eek: And you don't have a problem with that........lets hope your horse doesnt metaphorically 'turn a blind eye' one day when you need his support and co-operation to look after you in a tricky situation?:(

Visit site
The problem is in our area anyway farriers are in short supply, so they always have more customers than they need and can afford to be choosy! I had one who was always at least an hour late and sometimes didnt turn up at all, or even let me know ,then wouldnt answer the phone. It turns out he was rather fond of a drink and half the time was too hungover to come out!

CeeBee

Visit site

:eek::eek::eek:
I would rather wait the 3 weeks than have a farrier like that!

I stopped using my last farrier for that very reason. He hit my horse with a hammer when I was actually there, so didn't want to find out what might happen if I wasn't!
Been with my current farrier for 3 years now and he is fab. Very reliable and an excellent farrier, although my two now go without shoes.
PM me if anyone would like the details of an excellent farrier in Mid Beds :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Can't recommend anyone, sorry, but went thorugh similar with my farrier. I was at the yard at 6am-his request-and he forgot about me! He never replied to calls/texts (always at a reasonable hour, never weekends) so we sacked him and gave a newly qualified farrier a chance. Haven't looked back, he does practically the whole yard now.

Always Henesy

Visit site
I think some are being a bit harsh on the OP.
It would only take him 30 seconds to respond to a text and say "got the message, will get back to you Monday with a time to sort it out"
I have contacted my farrier by text on the weekend many times. He always texts back with a time to call in.
I do have a very good relationship with my farrier though, he is very good with my horses and does a great job. He also lives about 3 miles from my yard so can pop in quite easily.
I am always polite though and start my text with "Aplogies for texting on a saturday, but numpty horse has pulled shoe and is being a big wuss about it"

Get another farrier.

smokey

Visit site

I had to read this several times, and I'm still hoping I got it wrong! Your farrrier is "a bit fisty", wtf? And you turn a blind eye? I hope your horse boots both you and your fisty farrier into next week! Unbelievable!

hudsonw

Visit site
I wouldn't expect the farrier to drop everything to come out, esp on a Sat night but it wouldn't have taken much for him to send a text saying he couldn't talk and would call back at xx time or send a time and date he could come out. It would have stopped the OP texting and calling and the farrier could get on with his evening.

Whilst I agree farriers are humans that need time off , holidays etc but they are classed as an emergency service just like vets. There are situations when you need a farrier.
Perhaps out of hours (like vets) they should charge more for a call out or have a out of hours phone numbers. Horses aren't a 9 to 5 job.

I now have a lovley farrier that is always on time and if he's late he texts me, he texts me the night before my appointment to remind me, he's good at his job, polite funny banter I pay him in cash in full each visit provide a dry clean area to work and even make him a brew with a chocy biscuit!! My horse is in, clean, dry and ready to be shod and he provides a great service.

When you find a good farrier hang on to him and treat him right but don't be afraid to get rid of someone who gives you bad service.

happyhula

New User
Visit site
As a farriers wife it genuinely shocks me that people expect farriers to be a 24/7 emergency service. I have been called up at 6.30 in the morning and midnight. If you don't drop everything and rush out you are labelled as unreliable or rude.
I find the people that always get good service from their farrier are usually good customers. There are exceptions, we have a few farriers round us that don't treat their customers fairly BUT I've had verbal abuse from people that are on their 4th farrier and they are STILL blaming the farrier.

i am also married to a farrier and i am still astounded at how rude some of his customers are and at the slightest thing they get the blame for.I would never have treated my farrier like that.I have offered to speak to some of them but my hubby wont let me but i get so angry at the non emergency pestering on sunday mornings!:confused:

scarymare

Visit site
Really???:eek: And you don't have a problem with that........lets hope your horse doesnt metaphorically 'turn a blind eye' one day when you need his support and co-operation to look after you in a tricky situation?:(

Just being pragmatic really, in Aberdeenshire there are more horses than farrier capacity and this is a fact. Lots of people can't even get one. I leave my house at 7am, returning at 5pm which makes me even less 'appealing' to shoe for. I'd have a problem with it I suppose if said horse was sensitive. He isn't, just very rude.

scarymare

Visit site
:eek::eek::eek:
I would rather wait the 3 weeks than have a farrier like that!

I stopped using my last farrier for that very reason. He hit my horse with a hammer when I was actually there, so didn't want to find out what might happen if I wasn't!
Been with my current farrier for 3 years now and he is fab. Very reliable and an excellent farrier, although my two now go without shoes.
PM me if anyone would like the details of an excellent farrier in Mid Beds :)

I'd be waiting a lot longer than 3 weeks now. Simple fact is that there has been an explosion of horses in Aberdeenshire but no farriers. My understanding is that in the central belt this is not the case and so farriers have to compete for business - not so here I'm afraid. Its either put up or shut up (I think that's the expression anyway):confused:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I would never call my farrier on a weekend unless it was a genuine emergency - and I'm not sure I can think of an emergency where I'd need him ;) I certainly wouldn't get others to call him repeatedly on my behalf. Actually, I don't generally call him at all, he calls me every now and then and we sort it out somehow... He wouldn't be much good as an emergency service anyway as he lives on the other side of the country anyway. I can see why the OP's farrier might be annoyed!

I'm just wondering if he'll reply if he sees this thread, tbh...

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
Whilst its annoying when farrier is late, or has to re-book for another day i'm sure we've all been in the position where we've been the emergency squeezed in on a already busy day or the one with a horse that for whatever reason takes 2x longer than it should. .

Thank you for pointing this out. It is very true and I think alot of people just get peed off when their farrier is late,rather than being sympathetic to a person doing a difficult job,often for difficult demanding people!

Other things to consider are the clients who say. 'While you are here,can you just look at Fluffies shoes,I think one might be loose?' This is not a win win situation for the farrier,if he says no client will be cross,if he says yes, he is going to be running late and the next client will be cross.

I would say from his behavior that the OP's farrier is trying to dump her as a client. I think she should give consideration to why this is the case in order to hold on to her next farrier. Does the horse often lose shoes? Is it technically and behaviorally easy to shoe? Do you take good care of the feet between shoeings? Is the area used for shoeing suitable,clean,well lit and safe? Is the yard well within the farrier's catchment area? Does farrier get tea and biscuits?:)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Goodness I must be a fortunate owner. I have read some of the posts and do wonder if some owners appreciate the service and skill a good farrier provides. Many farriers are presented with horses that needed attention weeks before the appointment is made, yet the farrier is expected to perform miracles and put shoes on that will stay put for months.

The owner/farrier relationship is a partnership and respect is important.

I have used the same farrier for 30 years, he has worked for me longer than any of his other clients. He is in his mid fifties and maintains a client base that suits him and allows him to provide top quality service without being late/unreliable etc. In return he expects mannerly horses, responsible owners and clean/safe working area and to be paid on time.

He is interested in what the horses are doing and plans their shoeing schedules and advises me what he will be doing and why. It is my responsiblity to keep the farrier updated if I have any concerns and it is this working relationship that has seen my horses compete at top level and my farrier win many best shod hunter prizes in the county show rings.

I have a foal with a wonky foot at the minute, the farrier has attended weekly to attend to the foot, even arranging his own handler to hold the foal recently as I was unwell.

As the years have gone by my farrier has given up 'pony shoeing' ie, animals kept in a foot of mud by owners who keep him waiting and only want to see him twice a year, the second visit being 'urgent' because a shoe is lost and the owner wants to ride it the next day.

My advice to people struggling with their farrier would be to sit down with him, get your diaries out and plan your shoeing needs for months ahead, making sure 'big' days are noted and shoeing arranged around those 'big' days.

Don't wait until your horses sound like a scrap van going down the road. With everything planned, if an emergency arises your farrier will be far more amenable to helping you out.

I realise even more now just how fortunate I have been over all these years and if, at 7pm this evening I have a horse in trouble my farrier will leave his tea and come up the lane to me if necessary. I am going to appreciate him all the more now and I hope the some of the other posters learn from some of the comments on this thread. The post from the wife of a farrier sums it all up very nicely. Good clients = good farrier.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Does the horse often lose shoes? Is it technically and behaviorally easy to shoe? Do you take good care of the feet between shoeings? Is the area used for shoeing suitable,clean,well lit and safe? Is the yard well within the farrier's catchment area? Does farrier get tea and biscuits?:)

Oh god, I'm very grateful for my farrier... D tried to murder him last time, my yard is a bit treacherous and has no lights (it's not really a yard), he lives on the other side of the country and I don't have electric so no tea and if there were biscuits I reckon the highlands would have found them first :cool: At least none of them are shod...