My first Dog thread!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
We are very spolied in that we never walk with other dogs, we only see them out working.
We were in Ross-on-Wye on Tuesday night and went for a walk along the river at about 5pm, so a busy time. OMG, I had no idea people that are talked about on here really are that stupid! We didn't have a dog with us, but observing others was far more fun.
Why does constantly repeating your dog's name, like a litany, while it blanks you make you feel you are achieving anything? There was a young GSD bitch, called Luna (I heard that name 50 odd times) jumping on all the other dog walkers and their dogs. OK she was only the size of a small lab and gawky puppy cute, but is that behaviour suddenly going to cease when she is adult? A poor older lady with a staffie on a lead was trying to get her away from her dog, who was giving every signal going that it wanted the pup to go away and the three owners with it did nothing. Well, they said it's name a few more times...And that is only one example on a 30 minute walk.

Nothing like giving a breed a bad name, is there :(
Round here there is a RUPERTRUPERTRUPERTRUPERT who is extremely aggressive and always offlead, but it's OK, he's muzzled while he barks, growls and headbutts your dog. The last time he did it I roared, and I mean really roared at him and he ran away, so I said to his owners 'See? That worked, maybe try something like that!' or words to that effect.

I'm sure he'll be fine Lauren, just try and control all meetings where possible and work from there. If he does not want to interact with other dogs, while it is not ideal, it is also not the end of the world. The kind of dog Clodagh describes, that wants to go up and meet anyone and everyone, is not ideal either (for me, anyway...) as not all dogs and people appreciate an unsolicited approach.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
We are very spolied in that we never walk with other dogs, we only see them out working.
We were in Ross-on-Wye on Tuesday night and went for a walk along the river at about 5pm, so a busy time. OMG, I had no idea people that are talked about on here really are that stupid! We didn't have a dog with us, but observing others was far more fun.
Why does constantly repeating your dog's name, like a litany, while it blanks you make you feel you are achieving anything? There was a young GSD bitch, called Luna (I heard that name 50 odd times) jumping on all the other dog walkers and their dogs. OK she was only the size of a small lab and gawky puppy cute, but is that behaviour suddenly going to cease when she is adult? A poor older lady with a staffie on a lead was trying to get her away from her dog, who was giving every signal going that it wanted the pup to go away and the three owners with it did nothing. Well, they said it's name a few more times...And that is only one example on a 30 minute walk.

I met a GSD called Luna twice this week. First time she came charging over on Tuesday and made a couple of sneaky grabs at my dog (who ignored her) which I don't think owner saw, he apologised for her running off and I said 'that's fine, just be careful if you see me with a black dog as he's much more grumpy'.
So, yesterday, he wasn't and luckily the black dog was carrying a ball and didn't let go of it when she came charging over...

Clodagh

Visit site
I met a GSD called Luna twice this week. First time she came charging over on Tuesday and made a couple of sneaky grabs at my dog (who ignored her) which I don't think owner saw, he apologised for her running off and I said 'that's fine, just be careful if you see me with a black dog as he's much more grumpy'.
So, he wasn't and luckily the black dog was carrying a ball and didn't let go of it when she came charging over...

I used to have a very DA dobermann cross who was ok with a ball most of the time, but sometimes, without telling me, he had enough and spat it out.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Our Luna isn’t let off lead, one because of her high prey drive, and secondly because absolutely everyone she sees has to be her friend and she would be all over them. Her and Bo together on leads can come across as quite agressive and mouthy little gits, but if we see other dogs, I always take them to one side. Off lead, they both mix and run round with the other dogs at the horses, and if we go to offlead parks with them.

I’m sure Ralph will be ok given time and space. It sounds like you are doing marvellously well with him.

LaurenBay

Visit site
So it has been a whole year that I got Ralph (doesn't time fly!)

Save to say he has a home for life with us, he is well and truly part of the family.

He has just been the most amazing dog, he came to us an overly excitable obese dog who only knew sit and paw. He is now a very well balanced dog, still a bit more weight to come off but he really has trimmed down! He has learned high five, stay, leave, spin and play dead. We have enjoyed many lovely walks together and I really couldn't imagine my life without him.

Thanks all for giving great advice over the year xx