My first Dog thread!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hi all,

I am not usually found in this part of the forum (although I love Dogs)

So the opportunity has arisen for me to get a Dog. I have always always wanted one and have looked after friends and families for the past few years. I never got my own as I would struggle timewise with a Horse and a Dog and I felt it wasn't fair on either animal. However 2 weeks ago I lost my Horse and now I don't know what to with my spare time. I am missing being outdoors!

I had a call from one of my closest friends last week, a friend of hers needs to rehome her 5YO Beagle. She doesn't have time for him anymore and feels its not fair to keep him as she lives in a flat and cannot walk him (has 2 very young children and a medical condition) I met him yesterday and he was lovely. I am going back over the weekend to take him out for some walks to get to know him a little bit more. We have agreed on a 2 week trial at my house to see how we get on. OH and Child have never really been around Dogs so its a trial more for them then me.

So the one issue is he is super overweight. He is on a dry Pedigree diet food at the moment but does not get any exercise so I am hoping that with consistent walks that the weight will come off.

Does anyone else have any weight tips?

I am really excited, I have always wanted my own Dog! We have a big house with a big garden plus my friend is a Dog walker so she has agreed to walk him twice a week also. I do work full time, but got home for an hour in my lunch, but partner is often home anyway as he works from home.

Any other advice for a first time owner?

bonny

Visit site
I would be very careful about having a beagle, all the ones I’ve met have had nice temperaments but do their own thing regardless. They are hard to train so I wouldn’t assume any problems this dog has, if any, can be ironed out. Regards the weight, that should come off if you are prepared to put in the miles and feed less but be aware he could have physical problems in the future as a result of his first 5 years.

meleeka

Visit site
My top tip is to weigh food and feed as good a food as you can afford. Allaboutdogfood is a good website to start with. Keep treats to minimum and aim for two walks a day. Don’t let the dog off the lead until you are certain of recall but a lunge line makes a good compromise. You can also buy 25m leads on eBay for under a tenner.

Do remember that this dog may not be perfectly behaved but with kindness and consistency, it should improve with time.

Good luck x

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I love beagles :) I've not had one (yet) but did loads of research when last looking for a dog.

they are hounds, many dont have a lot of recall when they catch the sniff of something so be prepared to walk/run with the dog on lead-and they can run all day and take as much exercise as you can throw at them. They are counter surfers and bin raiders and love to eat.They can tackle most fences-there are videos of them on line going straight up and over 5ft garden fences. There are alot doing cani-cross.
They are all individuals and you'll hopefully have a good history of the one you are getting but one thing I was told by quite alot of people is that they dont do all that well alone-they are especially happy with other beagles but many of the behavioural problems you see online with them is howling and destructiveness-due to being the only dog. Yours may well be absolutely fine but thoguht I would mention it.

eta a fun way of engaging sniffiing dogs brains and tiring them out that way is by doing scent work or tracking-plenty of classes all over the UK now but you can also teach it at home.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I asked about the being alone, chewing, barking, howling and recall.

Owner has had him 5 years and said he only barks when someone enters the house (I witnessed this but he calmed down super quick and was super excited to see new people) I have been told he does not chew anything and can be left alone in the house without him barking or ruining the house. She did say that food needs to be kept up high and no floor bins as he will get into the bin and eat any leftovers and will try to get food left on the side. She also said that he will get on the beds if he can to sleep (which isn't a huge issue) I stayed for a good hour and apart from an excitable 1 minute when I first walked in, he pretty much slept and wanted attention. He fell asleep on my feet.

To walk he does pull to start with (but he doesn't have consistent walks so this could change) but then is fine. Happy to play fetch or with other Dogs but is happier to track a scent and will have his head down most of the walks smelling. She does let him off lead and said he does have a good recall but he can go quite far from you, so she tends to just use an extendable lead and only let him off in enclosed areas. But again he might only have 1 walk a month so will have a lot of excess energy to burn and he will be in overdrive.

He knows sit and paw, that is about it.

She also said that he hates the vets and will plonk himself on the floor in the doorway at the vets and not move. But has never shown aggression towards a vet.

I am aiming for 2 walks a day, an hour in the morning and an hour in evening. Twice a week I will also ask a walker to take him out at lunchtime (I share a Horse twice a week so was going to get him walked on those days so I don't have to do as long of walk in the evening)

We have a 2 week trial with him, I am curious to see if his behaviour changes any in the second week when he has had a good week of long walks.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
he sounds fab and that you asked the right questions :)

a fit dog though will be even more capable of overdrive just sayin' :D don't undestimate their stamina or their nose.

I meet a couple of beagle owners often when out and about and they have some with good recall and others with not great and one of my best firends has a beagle with none so it just depends.

also I think when you rehome a dog (especially an older one) although you get a good feel for them in the foster period, it can take a good 6 months before they really let their character come through sometimes. and thats not a bad thing, they often get more affectionate and fabulous the longer you have them.

bonny

Visit site
Sounds like you would be doing the dog a huge favour, anyone who walks their dog once a month should have it taken off them.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've known a few terrific beagles - like all dogs, some have recall, some don't. It's not too much of a problem to walk them on lead and let them off in enclosed spaces though. Good luck!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I haven't thought about it before reading MotherOfChickens post, but the few Beagles I've met in real life have all lived with one or more other dogs, but if he's happy as a single dog, then that isn't a problem. The ones I've met were as Beagles usually is described, absolutely adorable with people, but with poor to no recall.
The instinct to follow scents, and be very food oriented, is the way it is, but you can teach old dogs new tricks, you just have to remember that he has had 5 years practice of doing things the way he is used to.

If you do decide to keep him when the 2 weeks have passed, and if your vets isn't too far away, perhaps you could just take him there a few times, perhaps check his weight if they have a scale in the waiting room, give him a few treats, and if they sell toys or such, maybe window shop for a minute or two, before you go home again. If we only take them there when there is something wrong, or to vaccinate them, it isn't strange that they don't like going there. My veterinarians likes to recommend new dog owners to see it as part of their young dog's training, to come by, maybe sit down in the waiting room for awhile, before going home again. Sadly very few dog owners takes the time to follow that suggestion.

Moobli

Visit site
How exciting! I can still remember the excitement of getting my first dog (also a rehome but through my local police dog training school) over 20 years ago.

Getting to know the beagle before you bring him home is a good idea and the two week trial will also give you a taster of what it’s like to live with a dog. As has been said though there’s often a honeymoon period and you won’t get to know your dog until you’ve had him for some time.

Regarding his weight you could set up a weight loss programme with your vet to keep track of any losses, gradually increase his exercise as he’s likely to be fairly unfit as well as overweight. You can get special complete good for dogs who need to lose weight.

Enjoy and good luck ☺️

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks all, Yes I would like to take him to the vets to be weighed and then I can put a plan in order. I was told he was overweight but I was shocked at how big he actually was. Seems it has only been the last year he has been like that though. He is actually registered at the vets I would go to anyway, so they already know him.

I would also be willing to go to obedience classes if I felt that I needed to work on re call or any other issues. I'd have to see what the future brings when he is fully settled.

My main priorities was that the Dog cannot chew up the house, my OH simply wouldn't stand for it (understandable) and it wouldn't be worth the arguments it will bring. The other priority was must be good with children, there was a newborn baby there yesterday and the Dog showed the right amount of interest, not completely ignoring the baby but also not getting in the babies space and being respectful. From what I have heard from my good friend, the Dog is often around toddlers and has always been 100%. This Dog ticked both of these so anything else I feel I can work on.

nutrock

Visit site
One walk a month! Beagle kept in a flat!
Jesus it's a wonder the dog hasn't got other issues.
Seriously though hopefully it will work out with you but most of the Beagles I have known have been hard work
Good luck

Karran

Visit site
I know 2 beagles. One is hard work but good as gold - once the rules have been established.
The other knows the rules but chooses not to listen to them! I look after him when his owners go away, he is spoilt, incredibly hard work, raids my bins, goes off on his own adventures, i'm constantly on the alert that he doesnt go and investigate strangers bags and he likes to do 5am howling karaoke sessions! But plus side, he has the softest ears, is incredibly huggable and is a real character!
Both are greedy buggers and both have put me off ever having one of my own!

deb_l222

Visit site
Beagles are fabulous but be prepared for lead walks, rather than running free, especially as he loses weight and gets fitter and feels more inclined to move.

As with humans, slow and steady weight loss is best and will be maintained long term. Speak to your vet and get a target weight to aim for. There’s plenty of ‘light’ foods out there to pick from. The ‘senior’ foods are also low in protein. There’s no law that says a younger dog can’t be fed a senior food :)

Treats are fine but not to excess. What you really need to avoid is any human food because of hidden calories. For instance, don’t let him polish off the takeaway leftovers no matter how much he bats those beagle eyelashes!!

It’s a very rare dog that will starve itself, so don’t give in if he get ‘fussy’. Put food down, if he doesn’t eat it, pick it up again and don’t offer again until next mealtime.

Good luck, exciting times ahead and we need to see piccies :)

SpringArising

Visit site
Beagle kept in a flat!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping dogs in flats providing they get enough exercise.

My ex had a Beagle. He was very stoic about everything and suddenly became deaf once outside. He did bark/howl quite a lot too, BUT overall he was a lovely dog.

As a warning, for the first few weeks you may think 'Oh Christ, what the hell have I done?' and want to send it back, but it does get better!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
When Aled came to live with us, it took a good couple of months before we saw the real him. There were a few issues, mainly resource guarding, which we are on top of now, but came as a bit of a shock the first time we saw it. He was a bit older though at 10.

He was also very overweight, and although we’ve got about 3kg off him, we’re unlikely to get any more off, but his exercise is a bit more limited now as he’s almost 13 and quite arthritic, so we take it a bit more gentle with him.

Good luck, and all you can do is see how it goes.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've known a few terrific beagles - like all dogs, some have recall, some don't. It's not too much of a problem to walk them on lead and let them off in enclosed spaces though. Good luck!

As the owner of a part foxhound, I can confirm that hounds of all kinds can present with certain, um, characteristics (the no bin rule and never leaving anything remotely edible less than six feet off the floor ...) and they are more likely to have poor recall than good - but of all the many beagles I have known that have been rehomed, or in one case pts, it has been more down to the owners' behaviour than the dogs.

Tbh if you know what you are taking on, have a trial period, and are happy with the compromises, then go for it and enjoy! Sounds like he will have a lovely home with you :)

Shady

Visit site
Well I think he sounds lovely
Stand on the scales holding him , then stand on the scales by yourself, the difference is how much he weighs!
My only comment would be that the dog he is now could change dramatically once the weight comes off and he has more energy, he might not be so inclined to sleep so much!!. The only one's I have ever known have been quite busy little things!
I hope you take him, not because he lives in a flat, that doesn't matter at all but that he will clearly have a better, more active life with you :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I think he is your first dog - congratulations!
I would imagine though, as Shady has said, his behaviour will get worse not better as he gets fitter and more physically able to hunt. At the end of the day it is what they have bred forever to do, asking a beagle not to follow scent is like asking a lab not to pick things up and carry them.
Have loads of fun. :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
Assuming your friend had the dog from an 8 week old puppy (or thereabouts) I would quiz her a lot more on his early days and recall history. Why was he allowed to become fat? Was it genuinely because of her lack of time to exercise him that he became fat or was he a bogoff dog with zero recall that she stopped exercising? If the latter, you are setting yourself up to climb mount Everest. It's do-able to keep such a dog, but you need to devote time to stimulate the mind, as well as exercise the body in a safe environment.

Sadly, I have a neighbour with a GSD that hasn't been off-site for 8 years because of zero-recall. It is totally screwed up.:(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Harder to get weight off a dog if it cant be let off lead. I'd be wary, just because of the stories of nose down, goodbye that I read on another forum this week.

I'm sorry to hear about your beautiful horse. 😢

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
good luck with him, hopefully he will be able to get your mind off your your recent sad time. as others have said hounds can be a bit dodgy with recall so you may have to accept that you use a long line for times when he is in the open and only have him off lead in enclosed spaces. he may yet prove us all wrong and be perfect.....have fun..

skinnydipper

Visit site
I haven't any personal experience with Beagles. I occasionally meet 2. One is a lovely bitch who is never far from her owner and the other is a young dog, good natured and friendly, but wears a shock collar to stop him disappearing into the distance.
1544089514907.pngbig thumbs down for shock collar.

I hope you will be very happy with your new friend and have lots of fun.

Gunnergundog, that is terribly upsetting about the GSD. To not be able to train a GSD must take outstanding effort on the part of your neighbours. How very sad, poor thing.

Edited following Bonny's post. I should have said how could you fail to train recall to a keen to please, eager to learn, intelligent breed like a German Shepherd, I doubt there is an easier dog to train.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
I haven't any personal experience with Beagles. I occasionally meet 2. One is a lovely bitch who is never far from her owner and the other is a young dog, good natured and friendly, but wears a shock collar to stop him disappearing into the distance.
View attachment 27899big thumbs down for shock collar.

I hope you will be very happy with your new friend and have lots of fun.

Gunnergundog, that is terribly upsetting about the GSD. To not be able to train a GSD must take outstanding effort on the part of your neighbours. How very sad, poor thing.
On a similar theme a family near me got a long haired gsd at the same time I got my kelpie. He was walked several times a day but always on a lead. He was desperate to play with other dogs but the owner couldn’t bring himself to let it off, even in the park and the dog got more and more hyper. What started as playfulness became aggressiveness and he got worse and worse. It got so bad that he was only walked at night and he avoided passing other people. The family have got other problems and the dog has now gone. Well meaning owner but that’s not enough sometimes to deal with a dog like that.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I don't mind lead walking as I am used to doing this for other Dogs I Dog sit for. I don't ever let anyone else's Dog off the lead, just in case. And I would like to have a bond with the Dog before I trust letting him off. The lady said when her dad occasionally walked the Dog, he never used a lead and the Dog had fantastic manners. but what I would call a good recall and what she calls a good recall might be very different. She used to put him into a Doggy daycare centre twice a week when she was working, she said he never caused any issues with the others Dogs and would happily play for a while, before going off to smell things. When she has let him off the lead and called him back, if he hasn't come straight away she will turn and run and the Dog will go straight to her then. But we will see. Once he is home I will take post some photos.

skinnydipper

Visit site
On a similar theme a family near me got a long haired gsd at the same time I got my kelpie. He was walked several times a day but always on a lead. He was desperate to play with other dogs but the owner couldn’t bring himself to let it off, even in the park and the dog got more and more hyper. What started as playfulness became aggressiveness and he got worse and worse. It got so bad that he was only walked at night and he avoided passing other people. The family have got other problems and the dog has now gone. Well meaning owner but that’s not enough sometimes to deal with a dog like that.

It is a tragedy that so many of these intelligent dogs don't receive the appropriate training and guidance that they need.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hi all, just a little update. I spent the weekend with the dog. He is called Ralph :) I took Ralph on a longish walk on Saturday on my own. We went out for around 50 minutes, I could have gone further as it was a beautiful morning but I'm aware that Ralph is not that fit.

He was super excitable for the first 2-3 minutes, tried to pull me everywhere and ended up chocking himself, after this though he was superb. We met about 16 other Dogs in total and I am very impressed with how he interacted with them. Some that were less playful he just sniffed and carried on, others he was happy to have a play with. Not an ounce of aggression or any signs of being nervous. He didn't go off the lead, but that didn't matter as he was a pleasure to walk on the lead and when he was at the end of the extendable lead he was happy to wait for me. I did try to call him back a few times to see what would happen. His re call is not great to be honest. But he doesn't know me and although he did turn to look at me every time he never came to me (apart from when I got a poo bag out and it rustled, he was over like a shot then!) I did throw a ball and a stick, he is happy to chase it but picked neither up. He was more then happy to sniff everything though and had his head down most of the walk.

The second day, only a minute or so of excitable behaviour but didn't choke himself and calmed down much quicker. We met a friend and her Dog and he was super again. We had 2 loose dogs run up to us in our walk, 2 great big Irish Wolfhounds whose owner was desperately trying to call them back (and failing) Ralph was super, he stood calmly and when they approached him he had a dog on each side sniffing him, they were both in his personal space but he didn't bat an eyelid and was happy to just stand there and be sniffed!

He was so super to walk that even G (who is 6) could walk him (well after the initial first couple of minutes)

We are starting our trial on Friday evening.