My first ever ODE - and we fell over!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Right......I have officially competed in my first ever One Day Event (ODE), quite an experience.

We started with the dressage. Kasper was quite excited so I had trouble settling him during the test with a few hiccups to start but did manage some nice work near the end. We got 44 points (66%), so i'm very pleased with out first ever test off the yard.

odedressage2_zps09561881.jpg

odedressage_zps7a3addd2.jpg

After a quick wardrobe change we headed off to the show jumping arena. We were on grass with a tight course and many horses slipping. We took our time to get around safely just with one unlucky pole down due to a stray rear hoof. Couldnt fault Kasper, he hesitated coming into a few but responded beautifully to my encouragement and took every one first time.

odesj_zpsa6526478.jpg

odesj2_zps4ca9843a.jpg

Another wardrobe change and it was cross country time.

odexccolours_zps88cf5ba8.jpg

We had a clean start and cleared the first fence no problem, second fence Kasper ducked out but presented him again and he jumped it confidently. Third fence no problem. Fourth fence again he ducked out but again jumped it second time presented.
We were on line to the fifth jump, a very large looking deckchair style fence, and I was trying to ride boldly and positively. As we a approached Kasper lost his confidence and as he went to duck around the jump he slipped over.
We both hit the deck, but both straight back up on our feet. Sadly this meant we were eliminated but the marshalls told me i could continue. I went to carry on to the next fence but decided to retire instead.

odexc_zps62f38f78.jpg

Kasper was lame on his rear leg that took the impact so he had vet attention, it seems nothing serious hopefully just sore and bruised.
Despite our tumble it was a really enjoyable day, Kasper did me proud and I'm only sorry he's come away a bit sore and didnt get to complete his beloved XC stage.

A fab day and I would definitely have another go at an ode in the future.

Although now i need a new canister for my air jacket

odesad_zps18f98fdb.jpg

Here is the video from my headcam, i've left the original sound on it for once so you can hear my waffle. Fall at the end :(

[youtube]4DAkfcSDjg0[/youtube]

Zero00000

Visit site
Shame about the fall, Sounds like you was having a great first ODE, He is a lovely looking horse.
Hope he doesn't feel too sore.

PorkChop

Visit site
What a shame - hope you are both not too stiff tomorrow - he is gorgeous - good luck for next time and don't let it put you off, it happens to the best of us!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Unfortunate fall, I hope you're both not too battered tomorrow.

Great DR score!

Really surprised you were allowed to continue though, especially if he went down heavily enough to be lame. Not a criticism of you OP, more of SRC and the fence marshals.

Brummyrat

Visit site
You did fab, he looks like my baby but I can only dream that our first ODE will be so awesome. Like others have said, onwards and upwards! Hope he's ok v soon xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Unfortunate fall, I hope you're both not too battered tomorrow.

Great DR score!

Really surprised you were allowed to continue though, especially if he went down heavily enough to be lame. Not a criticism of you OP, more of SRC and the fence marshals.

This^^^^^

Your experience just shows why fallers should not be allowed to continue. Thank goodness you had the gumption to recognise that he was lame.

He is a lovely horse and you both did very well for the first time. Don't let your fall put you off having another go.
I hope neither of you have any lasting ill effects

Myhorseeatsmoney

Visit site
It was a shame you fell but what a lovely boy you have and I am glad you both didn't get seriously hurt in the fall. Thanks for the video it showed how enthusiastic your horse is and I hope you have a successful ride next time.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I'm glad you are both ok.
Poor boy must be shocked falling like that.

But great that you enjoyed it, it's the taking part that counts and the memories and fun you have and learning new things.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Glad you're both ok, such a shame about the fall. I'm another who is very surprised that you were allowed to continue.

Might be worth talking to your farrier about getting studs, looks like he needs the extra grip, particularly if he likes running out.

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds like lots of positives to take away, and some things to work on for next time. Try not to be too focussed on the fall, these things happen. Great DR and Sj. Onwards and upwards (and not downwards!). I love that ppl are posting headcams, it's great fun being part of the journey :)

ihatework

Visit site
Shame about the mishap but what a cute horse!

Definitely get studs in for next time, pretty much an essential piece of gear for eventing, even at the lower levels!

Lolo

Visit site
One thing that's worth thinking about, is if your horse is prone to running out approaching fences in a slow but powerful trot can be much more effective, as it gives them time to really assess the fence but also gives you time to correct them wibbling away, preventing them from running out. That way if they're genuinely worried and grind to a halt you know that it wasn't wholly preventable!

He is a gorgeous horse :)

(btw, 44 is 56%, no 66%)

hobo

Visit site
Shame about the fall and hope you are both ok. That seems a good tip from Lolo and also about the studs, the ground is quite slippy when it is dry.
Look forward to your next video. Is there somewhere you can go schooling in more of a field type situation instead of the lovely track training you do in the woods?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Shame about the fall and hope you are both ok. That seems a good tip from Lolo and also about the studs, the ground is quite slippy when it is dry.
Look forward to your next video. Is there somewhere you can go schooling in more of a field type situation instead of the lovely track training you do in the woods?

My last video was at lincomb which is an open field course, I am back schooling there again end of the month.

I didnt use studs becasue Kasper isnt shod, I've not had cause to shoe but if we continue with eventing i think i'll have to.

He doesnt normally run out like that, just think he was a little over come with the whole course, fences much further apart than anything we've ever schooled on before.

Lolo - lol yes i realised that typo in the main post but once someone has commented you cant go back and change it.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
He is rather lovely! On top of what others have said I would keep a line slightly more to the left next time as when he ran out you were quite a bit to the right (I think - forgive me if I'm wrong!). Onwards and upwards rather than downwards :D

Lolo

Visit site
You don't NEED studs, especially at the level you're competing at. I think just being a bit less overwhelmed in your riding- would you let him wibble like that schooling? I end to go quite quiet at shows, and it takes a run out for me to ride the fence. I know I never do that schooling! So I have to really force myself to think hard about being a really active rider, even if it's a bit pointless at times to begin with.

I had a really great XC lesson once where we were told to think in boxes going XC. Between fences you can be rectangular, longer and lower. But approaching a fence, you need to be a square, up and shorter into your hand. It really helped me visualise what I wanted my horse to feel like going into a fence, where he was really into the contact and I was looking up between his ears. That combined with her telling me that if I was having run outs to use transitions to keep myself in control of the situation, not falling into a ploughing along canter, meant that I did manage to stop myself from allowing lots of pointless run outs. That and my sister constantly shouting at me that a run out is only ever poor riding, if they stop then you've failed to encourage enough but if they run out you've failed to ride. She's a bit brutal but it did make me reassess how I thought of my riding.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
thanks for the advice. He never normally runs out though, but this course was quite different to what we've done before, i know he would have settled in to it had we ben able to do the rest.
I took photos of all the fences the day bfore and showed my xc trainer, she told me to ride that fence bold and confident, as kasper is genuinely very bold and will go if ridden forward. Think had he stayed on his feet he would have jumped it second time around.
I was planning on taking the whole course quite steadily so wanted to let Kasper use the first few fences to get his blood up then bring him back for a gentle round. It was 19 fences in all, a very long course, shame we didnt get to ride the rest of it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think if unshod you do have to be a bit aware on some ground conditions - hard ground and greasy/wet on top particularly - not sure exactly what it was like- I know I have to support F a bit more /make sure he doesn't get too strung out/has his bum under him than when he was shod/had studs rather than letting him bowl along too much.

Hope he is feeling better soon.