My First foal

ktj1891

Visit site
My gorgeous pony who is out on breeding contract gave birth to a gorgeous filly. Not sure of complete details yet going to see her 7pm this evening, but I believe she was born this morning.

Apparently foal wasn't quite getting the hang of suckling and was sucking her tongue instead which made me worry a bit but apparently shes a lot more active now and getting the hang of it. From my calculations she was born on 333 days, is this normal?

Isn't she beautiful!!
photo_zps49b5d534.jpg

ktj1891

Visit site
Mum is fine- have birth on her own. Loaner came out straight after she had her. Vet came out to check foal and to get placenta out. Went up this evening to see her and baby. Mum seems good, foal was shivering though poor baby!

_GG_

Visit site
They are both lovely but the markings on baby are just gorgeous. Love that face. I'd be inclined to make sure the lady that is caring for them gets the farrier out to give your mare a trim though. xx

Mum looks like she has taken to it like a duck to water...you must be so happy :) xx

ktj1891

Visit site
Yes very pleased, now its a question should I buy foal or breed something from my mare myself eek. Yes her feet need doing badly I have told loaner, so hoping it will be done very soon!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Mum is fine- have birth on her own. Loaner came out straight after she had her. Vet came out to check foal and to get placenta out. Went up this evening to see her and baby. Mum seems good, foal was shivering though poor baby!
Oh good. I was just concerned about the mare from the first photo with something that looks like someone has hacked away at the afterbirth.

FreshandMinty

Visit site
Yes very pleased, now its a question should I buy foal or breed something from my mare myself eek. Yes her feet need doing badly I have told loaner, so hoping it will be done very soon!

if the mare is on breeding loan is the foal not for the loaner? presuming it was the loaner who put her in foal?

gorgeous btw :)

FreshandMinty

Visit site
Yes the foal belongs to the loaner- hence should I buy the foal or have my mare back and breed my own :)

i understand now, i dont get why the loaner had her on loan from you to breed with if she was going to sell the foal though or am i being stupid :p either way, it’s cause for celebration :D