My first time driving 3.5T box + horse smashed partition! Help!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For those folk who reckon that 16.3hh horses fit fine in their 3.5t, that's great. I've hired a Marlborough Hunter stalliion box which has safely carried an 18hh Clydesdale, it's a brilliant well designed and sturdy box. However, as has been discussed extensively on this forum, the design and build quality of these boxes varies wildly. Many of them are only pony boxes, and lethal ones at that. Without knowing exactly about this van conversion, it is difficult to know whether the horse 'should' have fitted in ok.

OP, the driver legally is not supposed to be able to view the cctv monitor whilst driving, but a passenger can.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Perhaps different vehicles bode better , I've only ever seen Renault and Peugeot conversions.

Maybe I just took a dislike to it as when I got shown it the woman opened the side ramp and I nearly lost an eye when the partition sprung out of place! Lethal thing that was.

I think that is due to the quality of conversion, not the vehicle on which it is built. My 3.5 tonne has 1 partition (other side is toilet and tack locker) and the horse has 8ft headroom, 8ft9" nose to tail and 4 ft width. You are un likely to find that on a large wagon. Mine is a Renault, but the squarer ones, not the ones that are built within a builder's type van.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For those folk who reckon that 16.3hh horses fit fine in their 3.5t, that's great. I've hired a Marlborough Hunter stalliion box which has safely carried an 18hh Clydesdale, it's a brilliant well designed and sturdy box. However, as has been discussed extensively on this forum, the design and build quality of these boxes varies wildly. Many of them are only pony boxes, and lethal ones at that. Without knowing exactly about this van conversion, it is difficult to know whether the horse 'should' have fitted in ok.

Absolutely true, TP. I was responding only to posters saying that no 3.5 could take a bigger horse, not commenting on whether the OPs hireling was a big enough box.

Some of the Transit conversions with the original van shell still complete make my hair curl. And there are a lot of better conversions where the roof has not been raised and won't even get you seven feet of headroom, which I wouldn't put my big horse in. I was going to convert my own until he grew so flipping tall !!

I also wouldn't use one without a full wall between the horse and the living, I've seen what a horse who can see an escape route is capable of!

And while we are on safety tips, the chest bar must demount and you need some hefty steel between the driver and the horse, not the thin wall the vans are made with.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it depends on the 3.5 ton lorry some of the newer ones are bigger so would easily take a larger horse, I had a Renault equipe lovely horsebox but my 16.3 just didn't fit even with the partition on an angle at the back, her ears brushed the roof when I measured mine it was just over 7" high and for that reason she never travelled in it, the largest horse that ever travelled in mine was 16h and quite a fine built horse and she was fine.

ROG

Visit site
What is illegal? Sorry a bit of a fuzzy Sunday morning for me

The law states that a driver must not be able to view the interior view when driving

some things are exempt such as viewing the rear blind spot or side views or being a public service vehicle

tamsinkb

Visit site
I wouldn't expect a 3.5t to be suitable for carrying a 16.3h I'm afraid , no matter what they say on the 'tin'. If there was a situation where it had to be used for travelling a big horse then I would remove the partition.

My 3.5t is a LWB and has longer/larger horse area and greater headroom than your average 7.5T herringbone box - in fact my 17.2hh travels beautifully in it, whereas he barely fitted in the commercial transporters box that move my 3 across the country when we relocated!

phizz4

Visit site
I'm very cautious having previously travelled a very nervous pony who would throw herself to the floor if she was off balance. To be honest I am other drivers worst nightmare if I have a horse or pony on board who does not travel well. You really have to anticipate every move you will be going to make, ie when heading towards traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc and be prepared for other road users and pedestrians for that fact to think that you can stop on a sixpence (that shows my age) I would rather hold up other traffic for a few minutes than risk the cargo I am carrying. Slow and steady is the way to go - take plenty of room on roundabouts and on corners My late father gave me the best driving advice ever "if you treat everyone else as an idiot who does not know how or when to use signals and has no idea where they are going then you should be fine". Now my seasoned traveller can be driven in a different manner as she leans into corners and takes everything in her stride. To be honest I think you have to be confident about your driving skills before you transport a pony or horse - sorry if that appears harsh but at the end of the day you are carrying a precious cargo.

Edited to add: My friend thought she she was a good driver of her lorry until one day someone went with her to a competition and was very concerned. A couple of weeks later she went with her friend to collect a lorry - her friend suggested (Yes ROG I know it's illegal) that she travel in the horse area to see what it felt like. My friend has never driven the same way again......

I agree fully with the comments above. some people simply drive too fast for the road conditions, be it bends, traffic whatever. The other point to consider is that this lorry would normally carry two horses. To get that sort of carrying capacity into a conversion they have to use lightweight materials. I have seen some horribly flimsy materials being used in these vans, especially by one well-known UK manufacturer. And yes, it is illegal to have sight of the camera monitor when driving. I would want all of my focus to be on the road.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That's me.

Interesting how many people wouldn't travel anything bigger than 16hh in one - our smallest horse is 16.3hh and the biggest 18.3hh and they actually have a little too much room in ours (partition is fixed so I can only adjust the front end by approx 6in either way).

ETA - my 17.3 and 18.3 both fit comfortably in my small box together.
But isn't your 'small' box a 4.5t, though, not a 3.5t?

honetpot

Visit site
I rent a 3.5 tonne, its a brand that is used by racehorse trainers so is built for large horses. Its so strong that they can have a tantrum in the back and nothing moves.
The problem with most of these conversions, and I went to look at a few being built, is that they are built by usually men who have no idea how strong a horse is, and out of cheap materials and then given shiny paintwork.
They want to sell it saying it can carry two horses, to do this they cut out the strengthening as it will cut down the payload. Most are an accident waiting to happen.

Snoozinsusan

Visit site
I have a 17.1hh gelding who travels loose in a tall Renault Master conversion. I specifically searched for a van with at least 7ft headroom. I know I have to travel him on his own due to payload but I could easily take 2 ponies with the partition. I was advised to travel him loose by a respected trainer.
The first time I was a bit worried how he would settle but he quickly found his preferred position which is facing backwards on the driver's side. Just where I would have tied him anyway!

Clannad48

Visit site
When I first began to learn to tow a trailer and then drive a horsebox I was advised to think of it this way: Imagine you have to stand either forward or rearward facing in the aisle of a train or bus - you are not allowed to hold on to anything - what will happen to you if the driver has to brake suddenly, turn aggressively or speed round a corner or roundabout. That is how a horse a horse in the back is - some lean against the breast bar, some lean against the sides or the breech bar. But they have nothing to 'hold on to' and they cannot see what is ahead. My 17.3h tends to lean against the breast bar with her head resting in the haynet for comfort :) :)

Last edited:

pootler

Visit site
Looking back to your original question... what could have caused the partition to break and how can I address this.

I genuinely believe that a well built horse box with a correctly fitted partition should be able to withstand the weight of a horse leaning against it. I would say that even if you took that corner at 60 miles an hour, the partition should have been built to withstand the weight of a horse against it. I would question the quality of the box.

Michen

Visit site
I honestly can't see how a well built lorry would have a partition break like that. My horse went completely bonkers in my lorry but the only bit of the partition that was damaged was the metal arm which h had to bend back into place. He threw his entire body against it with as much force as he could.

Travels like a lamb now thankfully but I wouldn't be renting that box again if I were you.