My foal has been born Grey

Meggilew123

New User
Visit site
My mare foaled last night, she is Blue Blagdon and the stallion is Grey. Is it quite rare for a foal to actually be born grey?
tia ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What a lovely baby ?. Its the first grey born grey I've ever seen, but I'm no expert. I wonder if/ how quickly s/he will go white?

Welcome to the forum :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Blagdon is another name for Sabino type white flecks or roaning in the coat that is not caused by the true, dark headed Roan gene.

I suspect that the white hairs you see on the body are Blagdon colouring. However the grey goggles around the eyes are typical of a foal that is starting to grey out. I think your foal is both grey and Blagdon.

My chestnut/grey was born with white hairs around her eyes, so yes they can be born with signs of greying out. :)

Meggilew123

New User
Visit site
Blagdon is another name for Sabino type white flecks or roaning in the coat that is not caused by the true, dark headed Roan gene.

I suspect that the white hairs you see on the body are Blagdon colouring. However the grey goggles around the eyes are typical of a foal that is starting to grey out. I think your foal is both grey and Blagdon.

My chestnut/grey was born with white hairs around her eyes, so yes they can be born with signs of greying out. :)

Thank you! Let’s hope she keeps maybe a little sign of blagdon when she grows up! ? either way I’m happy !

tda

Visit site
I'm guessing blagdon , can only speak from my experience with Dales ponies, if they are going to be grey they they are born jet black.
I currently have a foal who I'm 99% sure is going to be blue roan, he is currently dark, not jet black but has a lovely inky blue bloom to his coat and if you look very carefully he has white hairs over his rump
Mum blue roan dad grey

Meggilew123

New User
Visit site
I'm guessing blagdon , can only speak from my experience with Dales ponies, if they are going to be grey they they are born jet black.
I currently have a foal who I'm 99% sure is going to be blue roan, he is currently dark, not jet black but has a lovely inky blue bloom to his coat and if you look very carefully he has white hairs over his rump
Mum blue roan dad grey
Thank you, this fills me with hope ?

Reactions: tda

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have bred a foal born grey, he was white by two. It's not common though, most are born another colour and grey out over time. So roan (Blagdon) + grey I would guess.