My foal has swollen back legs?

Tinks81

Visit site
My 3 month old foal has both back legs really swollen from the hocks down?? he is in overnight (as mare wont stay out and will jump out) he is bright eating and drinking still??

if it was one i would think he has just knocked it but it is both of them which is odd?

anyone any ideas ? x

hobo

Visit site
VET VISIT, one of the free mags had a nice artical saying a lame foal is always a vet visit. You probably know this which is why your are asking. Others will give you ideas of what is might be but use it as a backup to your vet.

Tinks81

Visit site
VET VISIT, one of the free mags had a nice artical saying a lame foal is always a vet visit. You probably know this which is why your are asking. Others will give you ideas of what is might be but use it as a backup to your vet.

he isnt lame though just stiff but so would i be with swollen back legs !!

i spoke to the vet they said 1 bute (he is a huge foal) and turn him out if they havent gone down by 1pm then they will come out x

Tinks81

Visit site
Sounds like a virus.Make sure temp is normal and if not gone down by morning get vet out as may need anti biotics.

it was !!! had the vet already groom called to say he was standing in the field and not happy (which he normally is a lovely little chap)

He has cellulitus bless him - he is on injectable anti-biotics for 5 days poor sod x

CBFan

Visit site
ALWAYS ALWAYS get the vet out to swolen legs in a foal. As you have discovered it could be any number of things and foals can go downhill so quickly if left untreated.

Glad he has been seen to. Hope he makes a swift recovery.

mellissa

Visit site
EDT- one of my friends got cellulitis and was supposed to be my bridesmaid! She didn't make it to the wedding but made a full recovery a month later x

Tinks81

Visit site
he is fine so glad i got the vet straight away !!

he is now back to his cheeky lovable self !! must say it is not easy to inject a foal in the bum - vet is coming back on tusday to take more bloods to double check he is ok but legs have gone down compltely now xx