My friend saw a poor horse die at roadside yesterday.

Cobsndogs

Visit site
My friend got stuck behind the hunt on some narrow back lanes yesterday. She saw a horse at the back that seemed to be struggling, it was trying to canter up the road but kept going disunited behind, and was dropping behind the others, but being kicked on by it's young rider. It then stopped, went up a little and fell over into the verge, at which point the rider had scrambled off/up (unhurt), and started to kick the horse !!WHAT?. Friend got out of car, to stop him doing this and to see if could help. She said the horse was in distress, by this time an adult rider had come back, and the young rider was sent to sit in my friends car, while she and the the other rider stayed with the horse, which sadly died on the verge within minutes.
My friend then drove the young rider back to where his mother was in her car, when she got there the mother put the window down and said "Is it dead then ?", and then they drove off without a word to my friend. My friend was so upset to witness this, but also shocked at the attitude of young rider and mother. I was speechless when she told me.

Spudlet

Visit site
WOW - hell of an attitude! I know some people aren't very sentimental, but really...!:eek:

I hope your friend is ok and not too upset, I saw a foal killed by a car last year and it was not a nice experience:(

Holly Hocks

Visit site
What an appalling attitude to have. Maybe the young rider should be chased until they can run no more and then set upon and kicked.....
The poor horse had probably done it's best and could give no more. It just goes to show what wonderful, loyal animals they are.
RIP horse. I hope you are pain free now.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Some people are truly unbelievable!! That don't deserve to own animals, poor poor horse. It sounds like a heart attack which at least would be quick, my first horse died of a heart attack while I was hacking him, it was incredibly distressing for me but I am grateful that for him it was quick and I was with him at the end xx

skint1

Visit site
Poor thing, and what an appalling lack of empathy and compassion. If that was my child they'd never have so much as a pet rock after that.

Spudlet

Visit site
Ludo, if your friend knows which hunt it was perhaps they might want to think about emailing the secretary to complain. Horses do get heart attacks sadly, but to kick a horse that has collapsed is absolutely unacceptable, and damages the reputation of hunting. Someone really needs to have a word with this rider and their parents and clear this up for them!

skewby

Visit site
What a horrible way for a horse to go, no compassion, just temper. It's people like this that give the hunting fraternity a bad name. I hope they are in the minority. I hope your friend is ok. How horribly rude of the mother. RIP horse, you won't have that brat atop you again now.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Poor horse, I have a lot of sympathy for the hunt, but I have to say that there are some real a*seh*l*es connected with it, for some it is nothing to do with the horses and everything to do with the hunt :(

I would have been very upset in your friends position, and, being a gobby cow would probably given the woman and her obnoxious son a mouthful :mad:

Happily not all hunt people are like this

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ludo, if your friend knows which hunt it was perhaps they might want to think about emailing the secretary to complain. Horses do get heart attacks sadly, but to kick a horse that has collapsed is absolutely unacceptable, and damages the reputation of hunting. Someone really needs to have a word with this rider and their parents and clear this up for them!

Agree wholeheartedly with Spudlet! Appalling behaviour and gladly I have not ever come across such vile behaviour.

You should go a step further and call the local press. I know it won't do thier reputation any good but it might tighten things up a little.

spottydottypony

Visit site
Thats disgusting! The poor horse im afraid the mother would have got a piece of my mind and also the boy. Thats appauling poor poor horse you can imagine how it must have been treated by the owner. Some people dont deserve to have any animals

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I agree on everything that has been said above. Def contact the hunt and make them aware, its just digusting. Kid should of been chased with the car and then kicked when he stopped, little shite :(

marmalade76

Visit site

Totally agree, but contact the masters, not just the sec.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Poor horse, complain like mad. Sadly lots of children do not value anything these days, think horses are machines and are very spoilt. See it nearly every day on my yard, no respect for animals or adults or facilities. So very sad.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
That's providing the Masters et all have the balls to do something about it and not brush it under the carpet. What disgusting people. I don't hunt and never will and that just reinforces my reasons why...

Spudlet

Visit site
That's providing the Masters et all have the balls to do something about it and not brush it under the carpet. What disgusting people. I don't hunt and never will and that just reinforces my reasons why...

If they don't come up with an acceptable response - the MFHA, or the press. And I'm sorry to be saying it, I followed the hunt growing up and I would still like to try it now, but I would be saying the same about any other discipline - showjumping, eventing, whatever. It is simply not acceptable to treat any horse in this way.

Cobsndogs

Visit site
I think what shocked my friend most was the kicking of the horse when it had gone down, and then obviously the mums attitude, I think she was too taken back by this time to say anything else. When she first got out the car she went running over shouting "stop it, don't do that". In all fairness, there was nobody else to witness it as they had got behind the rest of the riders, and when someone did come back my friend said that they acted properly with the horse, trying to sooth it, and made the rider go out of the way. She thinks it also had something to do with Pony club, but couldn't be sure.

Keep Trying

Visit site
Agree wholeheartedly with Spudlet! Appalling behaviour and gladly I have not ever come across such vile behaviour.

You should go a step further and call the local press. I know it won't do thier reputation any good but it might tighten things up a little.

Absolutely agree, the Hunt needs to be publicly shamed - go straight to the Press:mad:

Doncella

Visit site
Name the hunt and fully describe the horse, the rider, its mother the car they were driving everything to make it as obvious as possible as to who they are on this forum in the local press.
Name and shame I say.

lannerch

Visit site
It is a little unfair to name the hunt to the press while currently they will be blissfully unaware of the incident!
If they are informed and brush it under the carpet then they deserve to be named but not until, give them a chance to react.
Not all that hunt are bad its only the minority , unfortunatly this incident was certainly a horrible example of that minority, most kids would be broken to have their beloved horse die under them but not this brat! Some do not deserve horses ever!